Are we not allowed to use uncertain cures?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fakename
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fakename

Guest
I read in the Catholic Encyclopedia that to some extent a doubtful cure ought not to be tried.

Is this true? (Btw, I tried to provide a link, but for some reason this phrase never appears (???)).

I know I read it though.

If anyone has read the same, let me know please.
 
I read in the Catholic Encyclopedia that to some extent a doubtful cure ought not to be tried.

Is this true? (Btw, I tried to provide a link, but for some reason this phrase never appears (???)).

I know I read it though.

If anyone has read the same, let me know please.
Just about all cures are doubtful to some extent. And we try them all the time.
 
I read in the Catholic Encyclopedia that to some extent a doubtful cure ought not to be tried.

Is this true? (Btw, I tried to provide a link, but for some reason this phrase never appears (???)).

I know I read it though.

If anyone has read the same, let me know please.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is 100 years old. It was first published 10 years before the discovery of penicillin. It surely cannot be interpreted so as to cast moral doubt on undertaking a course of medical treatment whose results cannot be guaranteed. How many guarantees are there in medicine anyway? If someone is suffering from, say, cancer, and a physician suggests a “last hope” sort of situation in terms of trying another medication, I cannot believe there is a moral issue associated with that. The Catholic Encyclopedia is not a source of medical advice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top