Are we sheep or goats?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Edmond_H
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edmond_H

Guest
Hi all,
I could use some help regarding what Holy Tradition speaks to with regard to the Parable of the Sheep and Goats in Matthew 12:31-46. I have been thinking quite a bit about what Jesus says in this parable. Are we as Christians called to do each of the things listed in a literal sense? Feed, clothe, visit, etc? If so, I know very few sheep (myself included). I am interested in formal teachings from the Magisterium on these passages. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
 
sounds very literal to me, sheep follow the shepherd, eat what is good for them, obey his voice. Goats go where they want, ignore his voice and eat what is bad for them. Yes the injunction to carry out the works of mercy is literal and binding.
 
Hi all,
I could use some help regarding what Holy Tradition speaks to with regard to the Parable of the Sheep and Goats in Matthew 12:31-46. I have been thinking quite a bit about what Jesus says in this parable. Are we as Christians called to do each of the things listed in a literal sense? Feed, clothe, visit, etc? If so, I know very few sheep (myself included). I am interested in formal teachings from the Magisterium on these passages. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
I think you meant Matt 25: 31-36.

It is related to what is said in James 1 and 2. But here is James 1:

26 If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not [ab]bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless. 27 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained [ac]by the world.

And also Rev 22, v12:

12 “Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.

It tells of the judgement at the second coming, where one’s deeds are judged. Notice also that the sheep made themselves righteous by doing the good deeds in v35 to 40.

The goat did not do the good deeds, and thus, did not make themselves righteous.
 
sounds very literal to me, sheep follow the shepherd, eat what is good for them, obey his voice. Goats go where they want, ignore his voice and eat what is bad for them. Yes the injunction to carry out the works of mercy is literal and binding.
And that is my point, the works of mercy that he is referring to are very specific. I don’t know anyone who does all of these. I barely know anyone who does even one of the acts directly. The specific nature of the acts is what I’m questioning. What does the Church teach on how each of us is supposed to respond to these specific needs? Or are these categories more broad? We can be hungry, naked, sick, or in prison in a variety of ways. Does the passage reflect specific needs or a general openness to acts of mercy. I’d love some documentation or formal Church teaching referencing this passage if possible.
 
And that is my point, the works of mercy that he is referring to are very specific. I don’t know anyone who does all of these. I barely know anyone who does even one of the acts directly. The specific nature of the acts is what I’m questioning. What does the Church teach on how each of us is supposed to respond to these specific needs? Or are these categories more broad? We can be hungry, naked, sick, or in prison in a variety of ways. Does the passage reflect specific needs or a general openness to acts of mercy. I’d love some documentation or formal Church teaching referencing this passage if possible.
I don’t speak for the Church, but for myself. Yes this passage is specific, because those are our responsibilities as Catholics. We must feed the hungry, clothe the naked, care for the sick and elderly, and minister to those in prison.

“For I was hungry and you gave me no food. I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison and you did not care for me.” Then they will answer and say "Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs? He will answer them, “Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.” And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

–Matthew 25 :41-46

None of us can do all of these things, obviously. But you have to get involved and do what you can.I’m sure your local parish offers many opportunities. You can’t say you love Jesus and not care about your brothers and sisters who are in need.
 
Many do not come across any hungry, naked, imprisoned, in their daily lives. But if we are not presented with the opportunity to help the poor and needy directly, we can certainly do it by supporting persons or organizations that do. That also is feeding the hungry, etc.
 
Sometimes I’m a sheep. Sometimes I’m a goat. It all depends on whether I’m good or ba-a-a-ad.

(Running and hiding new)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top