S
SighGuy
Guest
Obviously we are not proper objects of His love-- we are finite, His love is infinite and can only find a proper object in Himself (an aspect of Trinity). But are we worthy of it at all?
What I mean is, did God, when He made us of nothing, impute an objective, real worth to our souls? Something that can’t be taken away, because God won’t take it away, and no one else has the power to do so, not even time? And so, when He loves us, it is because He has made us worthy to be loved?
Or are we unworthy of His love? Are we not objectively worthy, but only sort of being loved by God for pity’s sake.
Is it some middle ground, that we are born unworthy but through sanctifying grace we become objectively worthy (although again He loves us the whole time)?
I am not doubting that we are loved by God. Either way, we are. I am just wondering if it’s a worth that he has made us with, or if it is the case that we are unworthy of His love and He loves us anyway?
I kind of hope it’s the former… I don’t know. It’s kind of depressing to me to think that we’re really just worthless. Would God have made us if we were worthless? Doesn’t He think it’s important to make us worthy of His love? I don’t like the thought that I’m worthless and just kind of pitied, but that God made me worthwhile… right…?
I don’t mean worthy in a legal way, as though we had rights to a thing-- or at least, if we do, those very rights were established freely by God Himself.
Just wondering. Especially great if you have any citations.
Thanks.
Peace.
What I mean is, did God, when He made us of nothing, impute an objective, real worth to our souls? Something that can’t be taken away, because God won’t take it away, and no one else has the power to do so, not even time? And so, when He loves us, it is because He has made us worthy to be loved?
Or are we unworthy of His love? Are we not objectively worthy, but only sort of being loved by God for pity’s sake.
Is it some middle ground, that we are born unworthy but through sanctifying grace we become objectively worthy (although again He loves us the whole time)?
I am not doubting that we are loved by God. Either way, we are. I am just wondering if it’s a worth that he has made us with, or if it is the case that we are unworthy of His love and He loves us anyway?
I kind of hope it’s the former… I don’t know. It’s kind of depressing to me to think that we’re really just worthless. Would God have made us if we were worthless? Doesn’t He think it’s important to make us worthy of His love? I don’t like the thought that I’m worthless and just kind of pitied, but that God made me worthwhile… right…?
I don’t mean worthy in a legal way, as though we had rights to a thing-- or at least, if we do, those very rights were established freely by God Himself.
Just wondering. Especially great if you have any citations.
Thanks.
Peace.