T
tvknight415
Guest
Ezekiel 33:13 (RSV): “Though I say to the righteous that he shall surely live, yet if he trusts in his righteousness and commits iniquity, none of his righteous deeds shall be remembered; but in the iniquity that he has committed he shall die.” Seems a lot of Christians (Protestants AND Catholics) don’t heed that warning.
Jesus offers a way that a person may KNOW that their sins are forgiven, which is John 20:23 (RSV): “If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” Of course, the only way that one with that authority can know what sins to forgive or retain, is for someone to tell them what sins they’ve committed.
Once the sins have been forgiven, then the other half of God’s warning in Ezekiel comes into play. Ezekiel 33:15 (RSV): “if the wicked restores the pledge, gives back what he has taken by robbery, and walks in the statutes of life, committing no iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.”
Should one fall again according to Ezekiel 33:13 and no longer be righteous in God’s sight, he or she may still seek forgiveness of those new sins in the same manner of John 20:23, and be restored.
But, they also have to put their faith into action. Matt 25:32-46 (RSV): Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. 34 Then the King will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? 38 And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? 39 And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’ 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’ 46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Of course, that was James warning in 2:17 (RSV): “So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.”
So, I’d ask the person if they know for sure which verse of Ezekiel 33 they will fall under when they go to see the Father and stand in judgement; 13 or 15, and if they will be a sheep or a goat.
Jesus offers a way that a person may KNOW that their sins are forgiven, which is John 20:23 (RSV): “If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” Of course, the only way that one with that authority can know what sins to forgive or retain, is for someone to tell them what sins they’ve committed.
Once the sins have been forgiven, then the other half of God’s warning in Ezekiel comes into play. Ezekiel 33:15 (RSV): “if the wicked restores the pledge, gives back what he has taken by robbery, and walks in the statutes of life, committing no iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.”
Should one fall again according to Ezekiel 33:13 and no longer be righteous in God’s sight, he or she may still seek forgiveness of those new sins in the same manner of John 20:23, and be restored.
But, they also have to put their faith into action. Matt 25:32-46 (RSV): Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. 34 Then the King will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? 38 And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? 39 And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’ 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’ 46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Of course, that was James warning in 2:17 (RSV): “So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.”
So, I’d ask the person if they know for sure which verse of Ezekiel 33 they will fall under when they go to see the Father and stand in judgement; 13 or 15, and if they will be a sheep or a goat.