Are you afraid of death? I admit I am

• Thread starter Thread starter Catholic29
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catholic29

As much as I cling to and to be strong in my faith, I must admit a lingering fear of death remains. And whenever I hear of sin, judgement, damnation and hell, I hope I will have done well enough in the here and now in God’s to of avoided those things, though I admit to have failed on occassion as most of us have.

Since I haven’t a sense to see what is on the other side, or if there in fact is another side, death for me is naturally very frightening. Though when I do reach the other side, my first elation there will be the fact that that other side exists, and the next will be whether I have lived my life well enough and faithfully enough to of been spared damnation and hell.

What are your thoughts and feelings on this?

hope this doesn’t go on too long…

number one. Let’s look at this from a completely secular view. Catholicism is the truth. Point blank. The life it encourages you to live is life. It is love. It is a good life. If you’ve live a christian life to the best of your abilities, even if there is not heaven and no afterlife and not even a God (which I live and die by the belief that there is in fact all of those things), what have you lost? You’ve only gained a good life. The only thing you’d lose is your life, which everybody loses in death anyway. Even God himself had to die.

Number two. Live with Jesus in your heart. Live with Mary in your heart. Live with the saints in your heart (study their lives, learn to know and love them). Live with your catholic/christian brothers and sisters in your heart. Learn to live and love with as many people in your heart as you can. For they are in your memories, and they will be with you forever. When your alone, you always have those whom you keep in your heart. So when you go to your death, you might not be able to take much with you, but you can take all those who live inside your heart with you.

Number three. Probably most important: TRUST IN GOD. TRUST IN JESUS. TRUST IN THE HOLY SPIRIT. Why should you be accepted into heaven? Because Jesus died for your sins. If you truly love the Lord you will keep his commandments. help other people. deny yourself. “the greatest love is to lay down your life for the life of your brothers/sisters”. Devote your life to loving others. You will recieve a great amount of love. The Lord will keep you safe from those who would harm you. If you are so close with the Lord that somebody would hurt or kill you because of the love you have for him and because you followed his will (*his *will, mind you, not your own) then you are blessed. Then you will already know the Lord loves you. Spread the gospel, which is a message of love. Live your faith. By giving yourself over to God everyday.

When you were baptised, you died with Christ on the cross. Everytime you go to mass and take communion, you die to the Lord. He had to give up his body and blood, soul and divinity, in order to save us. In order to share in his life, you must do the same. You do this by how you live your faith, you do this by sharing in the mass/communion. You do this by allowing the Holy Spirit to complete it’s work in you.

I want you to think for a minute. Is eternity something that is going to begin when you die? or is it something that has already begun? or rather, that already is?

In the span of eternity you may as well already be dead. You are dust and ashes. You don’t barely exist. The only thing that lasts forever is God’s word. God’s word being Jesus Christ. So by sharing in him, you live forever.

This planet we live on is travelling millions of miles around the sun. It is literally burning up in it’s own atmosphere. Eventually the entire planet will burn. The only thing that will be left is God. The God of all the universe. The creator of all things. We have him with us. He is here, always. Until the end of time. When we take communion, God is physically with us. The God of all the universe. Imagine that. He that is eternal.

Now, given all of this. Does this take away your fear of death? Probably not. In fact, it probably scares you even more. Remember, God did not give us a spirit of fear. He gives us courage, he gives us strength. He gave us our church to be our rock, that we cling to. Jesus said: “I have prepared a place for the faithful in heaven. In my Father’s house, there are many mansions. If it were not true, I would not say it”. Now, I’m paraphrasing there, but think about those words. “If it were not true, I would not say it”.

Trust in God. Never let yourself lose faith. It is a gift. A gift from God. The only one who has the power to deny you that is yourself. If you rely on God, you will not fail.

Read the bible. Go to mass, more than once a week. Go to confession. Read about the saints. Spread the love you recieve to others.

The protestants are right. If I give my life over to Jesus Christ, I will not fail. However, I must give ALL of my life, ALL of myself over to him. I must trust ENTIRELY in his word. If I love him, I will keep his commandments. Which involve the sacraments and the church.

There is no reason to fear death. Realize what your fear is about. Is it really death that you fear, knowing that there is a heaven, and God is waiting for you? It must be God that you fear. So let him in. Let him into your heart and you will have nothing to fear.

That’s as much as I can say. I hope I’ve been of assistance

I have stared it in the face twice and I can tell you it is nothing to be afraid of for it is a singular moment. To be afraid of death is to be afraid of a fraction of a second.

Due to health probs at times I’ve asked our Lord if I could leave this world. But I would not suicide. I am grateful for the gift of this wonderful life and all the blessings.
I don’t fear death. Death for me is just the beginning of eternity. And I trust my Lord will exercise His judgment of me with great mercy. Because I need it.
This world is often a vale of teers. It’s one big test. I am grateful to be here, but I will be glad to leave when God chooses.
Sometimes I look to the sky for that big cross that will precede the second coming. And I say,“Come Lord jesus, come quickly.”
May he find me ready.

no, I have stared death in the face several times and for some reason he has turned away and slunk back under his rock, but I no longer fear him in any of his guises. What I dread is a long lingering illness, having seen so many family members through such a time, which is absurd because I have also seen how God uses such times to work in a soul and through that soul to prepare her for death, and to give great graces to her and to her family.

So for the rest of my short time here on earth I travel light and remain ready to go at a moment’s notice, or without any notice at all.

When I consider your question, what comes to mind is the true story I heard recently from Father Corapi. His dear friend was dying and Father came to see (anoint?) him. What he learned, though, was that his friend gleamed and spoke these words just before he died:

You cannot
believe . . .
the joy!!!

It is good to have a healthy fear of sin and the loss of our souls. That very fear is born of love. There is a beautiful verse in the psalms that David spoke to God (where?) as he said, “Though** I** may forget Thee, do not Thou forget me.”

Like Annie mentioned about the lengthly illness, I admit that I sometimes have deep misgivings about this, too, for I am at that age, you know? I thank you, Annie for your comments giving us assurance.

Carole

I am somewhat afraid. I guess it is lack of trust. I am most afraid to leave my children motherless–esp. since my wonderful husband is not Catholic.

However, I understand emotions are not sin; therefore, the fear itself can be an offering. We don’t live according to our fears but our faith.

Jesus, I trust in Thee!!

No death doesn’t scare me. I have faced it on a couple of occasions, both sudden. I have watched others fear death as they fought to stay here, so scared of what may lay ahead of them.
I will tell you a story of a young boy who died. He was terrified at first only given a couple of months before the cancer overcame him. He however, refused to give up, living for one more thing each time. I sat with him on numerous occasions, spoke daily with him on the phone, the life ebbing from him. He never baptized, his mother or father never believed in God or anything else. My own faith shaken with the death of two children, I had left the church, so began a more painful thing than death, the realization that to face death without God would be terrifiying. He began to ask questions, did I believe in God, would he be welcome into the kindgom of heaven. These questions were asked daily, sometimes the only thing he could say. He finally asked the question would he see my children, and his Nanny in heaven. I held his hand as I answered that she would find him. He had lasted two years parlaized for the last 7 months torrment filled his body daily, but in the moment he realized he could maybe see her again, sudden peace a smile one that was lost 2 years previous errupted. He looked at me and said Good-Bye. He lapsed into a breif coma and died two days later. He was 19.

The fear he must have felt knowing that he was dying, no cure, just death to come was apparent each day I sat and talked with him. I think he fought to finally ask the question, neither his mother or father ever talked about religion to him. There was no reason for him to ask me, but he knew I became Catholic and that meant something to him. I believe he found peace in the small statement that his greatgrandmother would find him.

That young boy was my nephew. His death shows me if one is to die it is best to die with God on your side.

Earlier this month I underwent surgery. Now I had many surgeries in the past with little fear of dying although on two occasions I had nearly died on the table. I had never felt a need to be free of sin. This was different, so after 17 years I entered a confessional. The surgery went with its usual problems for me, but, it was handled very well. Was it because I was fine with dying if it was meant to be? I can’t answer that it is God’s business the day I need to come home, if that is where he choses to send me, although not likely.

No death doesn’t scare me life without christ does.

scared

Your fears may be helped if you witness the dying process a few times. So many people in the US are shielded from this. Death has become an institutional event…something for hospital and nursing home staff to deal with behind sheets and closed doors.
It is a shame how many elderly die alone in their nursing home beds.
Witnessing the dying process…actually caring for some as they die helps one realize how finite human flesh is. There is more to someone than the flesh…the spirit…the spirit goes somewhere when the flesh is dead. I can only hope and pray that God is merciful and allows my spirit to live in His presence for eternity.

I have a good tape by a priest who was dying of cancer. He commented: “I know enough theology that I am not afraid of being dead. On the other hand I know enough of doctors and hospitals that I am afraid of the process of dying.”

I think I go along with that. I have never worried when being anesthetized as to whether I will wake up.

Sounds like a trick question. At the end I’m afraid that the sins of my life may shame me enough not to call for God from my heart. So if my heart is still harboring sin, then I get scared of death. Tim

I’m pretty scared of it, I’ll admit it. I’m afraid of the dying process though most probably. Like, knowing that you have a disease and are going to die…that’s just so scary. To think, “well, I won’t be here for the end of the year” or something…wondering what it feels like, does it hurt when your heart stops and you can’t breathe anymore, or is it instant-like…all of a sudden on the other side… But then again, it’s horrible to die suddenly too. Without the chance for the sacraments, the effect on the family, etc. That happened to a friend of mine. I often wonder if when she got up that morning, she had a feeling, any sort of sense that something was going to happen. Or if it was just like any other day.(she died instantly in a car accident last year.)

I’m scared of leaving my husband, though I’m sure I would see him again. I don’t doubt the other side, I know it exists, but it’s just one of those human foibles to be afraid of the unknown or unexperienced, I guess.

But I’ve noticed that right after I’ve been to confession, you know, that “walking on air” feeling you get after you really have a great experience with the sacrament, it doesn’t bother me as much. Maybe because I know I would meet our Lord with a clear conscience. :hmmm:

I can say that death itself doesn’t scare me, but that’s pretty easy to say when I’m not actually staring it in the face. I have come to look at death as a kind of graduation day. I have had several of those in my lifetime, and they have all been joyful experiences.

DaveBj

A few years ago I woke up suddenly and couldn’t breathe (no air coming in no air coming out). I quickly ran to my mom’s room which was like a second away. I was so scared I kept thinking “I’m dying! I’m dying” and I fell on the floor near her bed. My mom was still awake reading a book in bed. But once I was there, I wasn’t scared I thought “At least I’m not dying alone, I’m with my mom”

It all happened so fast and I started coughing and breathing again. I don’t know what happened. I’m still a bit scared of death, but my faith is stronger and hopefully I’ll be strong.

But that experience has stayed in my mind many times. I think about people who die alone everyday. It’s so sad. I wish I could be there to comfort them and be at their side. I think that’s what scary, especially if you don’t have faith or hope.

Of course I’m afraid of dying. The unknown is always difficult to face. But I also know that “be not afraid” is repeated in scripture something like 366 times…

I agree with what contemplative said about how dying is sort of this lost process that many of us don’t ever get to witness until our peers are suddenly ‘at the age.’

Between my ages of 7-10, we lost all of my grandparents and literally all of their many siblings, except for two of them, as well as the remaining great-grandparents of our family. It was like one funeral after another. I’m still surprised by how vivid my memories are of that entire time period, the grief, the disbelief, feeling like our family was coming undone, being shocked by the depth of my parents’ sadness, holding various weathered and wrinkled hands…listening to them tell me to be a good girl and that they would see me again someday.

Every year, during the week before All Souls’ Day, my dad goes to a Catholic cemetary each night and prays the devotion for a soul of one of our relatives to be released from Purgatory. He’s been doing this since I was seven, and I remember sitting in the car with him as a little girl, listening to him pray and being slightly awed by the fact that we here on earth could directly influence souls of our beloved departed… it seemed so fascinating to me, yet a little scary. I remember telling Dad I hoped I would never have to be without him and sit praying in a cemetary, hoping his soul was in heaven. He gave me a pat and told me it wouldn’t seem so scary one day.

Well it is!!! 🙂 My husband and I actually talk about death quite frequently, though we’re only 26. We talk about the devotions we would have for the other’s soul if or when one of us passes on without the other. We talk about waiting and hoping for each other in heaven and spending our heaven praying for the one left on earth. We talk about the practical necessities of being prepared if one of us should pass, though we pray against an early death and instead ask God to provide us with a long and happy marriage of many years. 🙂 My husband has always been very calm about the subject of death, though it is not so easy for me, and we regularly pray for our mutual salvation, asking God to let us spend eternity together with Him and our babies.

It scares me to think about the moment of facing God, seeing Jesus and Mary, meeting my guardian angel who will whisk me off to meet the Creator. I have so much more work to do on my soul before that happens and I pray that God gives me that time.

I also am somewhat terrified of purgatory. I have yet to make it through St. Faustina’s Diary because the apparitions she receives from those in purgatory are horrifying! The only thing that comforts me is knowing certain saints have written that the happiest day on earth is nothing to the joy we feel in purgatory, knowing we’ll be united with God at SOME point, even if not until the end of time.

I suppose that while this is a hard topic for many, it’s GOOD to regularly think of death and be ready for it. So many of you mention staring death in the face–I shudder at that. I want to be safe and live more! 🙂 There was one specific time when I almost died and I remember my husband commenting, “He really does come like a thief in the night to steal you away from harm.”

I can’t wait until I get to meet the Lord face to face, so no not really.

I used to be, but not any more, infact leaving Earth does seem rather attractive.

I can’t say I don’t fear death, but I don’t get preoccupied with it.

What scares the bejesus out of me is the thought that in my pride, I hide from the face of God due to my sins. The thought of spending eternity away from light, His light, in darkness, tears me down. I pray that God, in His mercy, never forgets me, even when I forget Him.

:blessyou:

What I am most afraid of is missing my family and leaving my children. That being said, I may feel less afraid when my children are older, they are only 6 and 8 right now and I can’t imagine leaving them, even through their daddy is very capable 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back