Are you afraid of Santa?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sierrah
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sierrah

Guest
The Rudolph and the Occult thread got me thinking. Should we ignore the whole Santa myth with our kids. I don’t know that I would do the Santa tradition simply because as a kid Santa scared the heck out me but the idea of him was fun. I wouldn’t want to lie to my kids but I wouldn’t want to take anything away from them either. It’s a big dilema. 🤷😃

PS I don’t have kids and may never have them I just pose this question for fun really 🙂
 
I was never afraid… and my kids have never been afraid…
But if you’re looking for a good laugh on the subject check out…
sketchysantas.com/

ENJOY! 😃
 
Nope.

Santa comes to my Childrens Hospital:)🙂 AND it’s Catholic
 
Well… I was when I was little. But anything dressed up like the Easter Bunny or mascots creep me out too.

For what it’s worth, I won’t be telling my children presents come from santa. But I’m not starting a debate on this, because that’s up to each parent.
 
Why did the other thread get deleted? Was it something I said?
 
After visiting sketchy santas I’m a bit more paranoid. The easter bunnies always frightened me as a child.
 
Hello,

Just wanted you to know that the church does not consider telling your children about Santa as a “lie” in the sense that it is a sin. Just wanted to make sure that you knew that, it is okay to participate in childhood fantasies, myths and stories and be well within the guidelines of the church.

Whether or not to have Santa is personal. Whatever you decide when you have children is up to you, I just wanted to point out that it is not a sinful “lie”.
That’s a GREAT point to be aware of.

I think (just my opinion, I’m not a parent) that kids grow up too fast sometimes. Let them be kids, have fun with Santa, etc.
 
Post: To Raise your Kids believing in Santa or not… someone just posted a *wonderful *piece integrating Santa with St. Nick…
 
The Rudolph and the Occult thread got me thinking. Should we ignore the whole Santa myth with our kids. I don’t know that I would do the Santa tradition simply because as a kid Santa scared the heck out me but the idea of him was fun. I wouldn’t want to lie to my kids but I wouldn’t want to take anything away from them either. It’s a big dilema. 🤷😃

PS I don’t have kids and may never have them I just pose this question for fun really 🙂
As Santa Claus is an actual saint, and the tradition of giving gifts dates back to the Three Magi, I see nothing wrong with it. And certainly nothing occult.
 
Hello,

Just wanted you to know that the church does not consider telling your children about Santa as a “lie” in the sense that it is a sin. Just wanted to make sure that you knew that, it is okay to participate in childhood fantasies, myths and stories and be well within the guidelines of the church.

Whether or not to have Santa is personal. Whatever you decide when you have children is up to you, I just wanted to point out that it is not a sinful “lie”.
Do you have a source for this? I’m not about to claim that it’s on the level of grave matter or mortal sin or something like that, but to say it’s not a lie at all just defies all reason.

To be clear, I’m not talking about the icon of Santa in general, “playing” Santa, or teaching your children about the real St. Nicholas. I’m talking about seriously telling your kids that there’s this guy who flies around the world every Christmas dropping presents through chimneys and keeping them under that false impression.
 
You must be fun at parties.

Not every single thing in life has to be deathy (and I use the word intentionally) serious. Santa Claus, trick-or-treating on Halloween, making believe you are Superman, these things are all part of a normal, healthy childhood.
 
“He sees you when you’re sleeping, he knows when you’re awake…” :eek:
 
You must be fun at parties.

Not every single thing in life has to be deathy (and I use the word intentionally) serious. Santa Claus, trick-or-treating on Halloween, making believe you are Superman, these things are all part of a normal, healthy childhood.
I asked Father Mike, one time , “If there was a Superman”?

Father Mike replied…“kimmie, the greatest Superman I know is Jesus”.

Father Mike, in his wisdom allowed me to enjoy Superman…BUT I saw Jesus:)🙂

As Always, just my thoughts

We don’t need no stinkin Grinch’s:D
 
Not every single thing in life has to be deathy (and I use the word intentionally) serious. Santa Claus, trick-or-treating on Halloween, making believe you are Superman, these things are all part of a normal, healthy childhood.
Well, I don’t have any problems with anything you just mentioned so I don’t see why you bothered to mention them or what relevance it has to what I said. The fact remains that if your kid wants to know whether some guy really does fly around dropping presents down chimneys and you tell him or her that there is, then you’re lying to your kid. The mere mention of Santa Clause, trick-or-treat and playing make believe is a red herring and does nothing to address that point.
 
Rather than “lying,” it can be considered "myth-making."
heh, wonderful :rolleyes: It’s not lying if we don’t CALL it lying!

I’ll just let it rest as going against that particular source might risk upsetting TPTB on this forum…
 
Well, I don’t have any problems with anything you just mentioned so I don’t see why you bothered to mention them or what relevance it has to what I said. The fact remains that if your kid wants to know whether some guy really does fly around dropping presents down chimneys and you tell him or her that there is, then you’re lying to your kid. The mere mention of Santa Clause, trick-or-treat and playing make believe is a red herring and does nothing to address that point.
Did you fail to read or understand the post above about the difference between lies and story/fable?

Is there some difficulty in being able to discern the difference between a lie and make-believe?

Most people readily understand. Children make believe all the time. Adults with a spirit of fun and play do also. This is the polar opposite of lying.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top