R
RomanCrusader
Guest
I was debating an atheist online and I was crushing him in matters of history. I pretty much proved Jesus wasn’t a “remake” of old pagan gods. He knew he was being beaten in the historical department so he jumped over to matters of science.
He started talking about the brain and said that everything we are, feel, think, believe, ect. is the result of genes and brain structure. He said that scientists have found genes that determine spirituality and that there are sections of the brain that determine our morality, personality, ect.
He then went on to talk about people with brain damage. He says that often when someone has brain damage their personality completely changes. He cited all kinds of stories where people would become entirely different due to brain alterations or damage.
He claimed that since our personality, beliefs, ect. can be changed with a bit of brain chemistry than that means there is no soul. He said if we had a soul our personality wouldn’t become completely altered and changed due to brain damage.
I really didn’t know what to say. Back in my Junior year we covered neurology in AP Psych and a bit in Bio but I was pretty much defeated in this matter.
How do you explain/defend the soul when situations like this come up?
He started talking about the brain and said that everything we are, feel, think, believe, ect. is the result of genes and brain structure. He said that scientists have found genes that determine spirituality and that there are sections of the brain that determine our morality, personality, ect.
He then went on to talk about people with brain damage. He says that often when someone has brain damage their personality completely changes. He cited all kinds of stories where people would become entirely different due to brain alterations or damage.
He claimed that since our personality, beliefs, ect. can be changed with a bit of brain chemistry than that means there is no soul. He said if we had a soul our personality wouldn’t become completely altered and changed due to brain damage.
I really didn’t know what to say. Back in my Junior year we covered neurology in AP Psych and a bit in Bio but I was pretty much defeated in this matter.
How do you explain/defend the soul when situations like this come up?