Arian heresy: What scriptures did they use?

  • Thread starter Thread starter John_Coalson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John_Coalson

Guest
Hi,

What scriptural passages were most commonly raised by the Arians in support of their view that the Son was not equal to the Father?

And, if I understand correctly, the heresy predates the settled canonization of the holy books. Is that correct?

I’m discussing Mormonism with a Calvinist and attempting to illustrate how difficult the Arian/Mormon doctrines are to refute without resorting to extra-scriptural authority.

Please feel free comment on the wisdom of this exchange. I [am] young in the Catholic faith (two years).

Thanks,

John Coalson
 
Hello John, welcome to the forum.

I’ll take the first kick at the can. Although a new Catholic myself, I have been studying Theology for about 40 years.

The idea that the Arians use is the natural idea that the Son is inferior and a creation of the Father. This does not hold when the scriptures are properly read and interpreted.

Calvinists would like the scriptures to be a closed book, no interpretation just literal words. The problem they have is translation and the breath of interpretation in the original languages that is possible.

The Mormons, it has been a lot of years since I did a term paper on them, are quite close to Islam in their interpretation of the Old Testament. They want to honour the Father above all and that means to them subordinating the Son.

I await further comments from others as well.
 
Hi,

What scriptural passages were most commonly raised by the Arians in support of their view that the Son was not equal to the Father?

And, if I understand correctly, the heresy predates the settled canonization of the holy books. Is that correct?

I’m discussing Mormonism with a Calvinist and attempting to illustrate how difficult the Arian/Mormon doctrines are to refute without resorting to extra-scriptural authority.

Please feel free comment on the wisdom of this exchange. I [am] young in the Catholic faith (two years).

Thanks,

John Coalson
John, it’s the Jehovah’s Witnesses who are the closest to the Arians in their rejection of the Divinity of Christ and the Mystery of the Most Holy Trinity.
 
Hi,

What scriptural passages were most commonly raised by the Arians in support of their view that the Son was not equal to the Father?

And, if I understand correctly, the heresy predates the settled canonization of the holy books. Is that correct?
Well, John it seems that no one is actually answering your question. I don’t have a ready list of verses used by Arians, but I know you could deduce some by looking at the works written against their beliefs. Take, for instance, the works of Athanasius: here’s just one: newadvent.org/fathers/2816.htm

This will give you a few verses too: docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:2goKoXCeeZUJ:www.ciu.edu/seminary/resources/articles/evangelism/ARIUS.pdf+arian+scriptures&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjO__na01eJHPgXyqgeim0nQjY_voy4rPQusJ4wcRJXex7EqmoRPbgYIh_uZSizj58FFUtazv-BrUahvsMUxLvC-vsHS2KnL5iLsggMFqzInscvAH2idismtGPelqqQOVSv_JST&sig=AHIEtbT7V__ah3Wj_BdYSiDmX01pio1jPw
 
Hi,

What scriptural passages were most commonly raised by the Arians in support of their view that the Son was not equal to the Father?

And, if I understand correctly, the heresy predates the settled canonization of the holy books. Is that correct?

I’m discussing Mormonism with a Calvinist and attempting to illustrate how difficult the Arian/Mormon doctrines are to refute without resorting to extra-scriptural authority.

Please feel free comment on the wisdom of this exchange. I [am] young in the Catholic faith (two years).

Thanks,

John Coalson
From Answer.com:

Arius taught that God the Father and the Son did not exist together eternally. He taught that the pre-incarnate Jesus was a divine being created by (and therefore inferior to) God the Father at some point, before which the Son did not exist.[4] In English-language works, it is sometimes said that Arians believe that Jesus is or was a “creature”; in the sense of “created being”. Arius and his followers appealed to Bible verses such as John 14:28 where Jesus says that the father is “greater than I”, and to Proverbs 8:22 which states “The Lord created me at the beginning of his work”[5] although this verse is now generally held to refer to some concept of “wisdom” rather than to the Son of God.[6]

Of all the various disagreements within the Christian Church, the Arian controversy has held the greatest force and power of theological and political conflict, with the possible exception of the Protestant Reformation. The conflict between Arianism and Trinitarian beliefs was the first major doctrinal confrontation in the Church after the legalization of Christianity by the Roman Emperor Constantine I.[7]

Beliefs
Because most extant written material on Arianism was written by its opponents, the nature of Arian teachings is difficult to define precisely today. The letter of Auxentius,[8] a 4th-century Arian bishop of Milan, regarding the missionary Ulfilas, gives the clearest picture of Arian beliefs on the nature of the Trinity: God the Father (“unbegotten”), always existing, was separate from the lesser Jesus Christ (“only-begotten”), born before time began and creator of the world. The Father, working through the Son, created the Holy Spirit, who was subservient to the Son as the Son was to the Father. The Father was seen as “the only true God”. 1 Corinthians 8:5-6 was cited as proof text:

Indeed, even though there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth — as in fact there are many gods and many lords — yet for us there is one God (Gk. theos - θεος), the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord (kyrios - κυριος), Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.
—NRSV
A letter from Arius to the Arian Eusebius of Nicomedia succinctly states the core beliefs of the Arians:

Some of them say that the Son is an eructation, others that he is a production, others that he is also unbegotten. These are impieties to which we cannot listen, even though the heretics threaten us with a thousand deaths. But we say and believe and have taught, and do teach, that the Son is not unbegotten, nor in any way part of the unbegotten; and that he does not derive his subsistence from any matter; but that by his own will and counsel he has subsisted before time and before ages as perfect God, only begotten and unchangeable, and that before he was begotten, or created, or purposed, or established, he was not. For he was not unbegotten. We are persecuted, because we say that the Son has a beginning, but that God is without beginning.
—Peters, Heresy and Authority in Medieval Europe, p. 41

The Bible canon came from the Council of Laodicea, about 35 years after the Council of Nicea.
 
Hi,

What scriptural passages were most commonly raised by the Arians in support of their view that the Son was not equal to the Father?

And, if I understand correctly, the heresy predates the settled canonization of the holy books. Is that correct?

I’m discussing Mormonism with a Calvinist and attempting to illustrate how difficult the Arian/Mormon doctrines are to refute without resorting to extra-scriptural authority.

Please feel free comment on the wisdom of this exchange. I [am] young in the Catholic faith (two years).

Thanks,

John Coalson
Read John’s Gospel. Jesus makes a clear distinction between the Father and the Son.

And see Matthew 11, “No one knows the Father except the Son” and so on.
 
like modern arians, they used any verse that shows that Jesus is fully man. And, proverbs 8:22
 
Aside from the many other verses which indicate Jesus’ divinity (Thomas calling him "my Lord and my God; Jesus calling him self by God’s name (before Abraham was “I am”), etc., a big problem with Arianism (the belief that Jesus is not devine - but a created creature) is that Jesus accepts worship - and no one can accept worship, other than God.

This is the first commandment - which remained applicable during Jesus’ earthly ministry and remains applicable today.

Blessings,

Brian
 
Hi John,
The CCC directs us to Hebrews 1:3 to refute Arianism.
God Bless,
Columcille.
 
I believe Jesus says something to the extent of “I will ascend to your God and my God”…or something along those lines…
 
Bishop Eusebius of Ceasarea was a semi-Arian and the scriptures he used in explaining his theology of the Son of God are found in the beginning of his History of the Church.

Lactanius in his writings to Constantine was probably also a semi-Arian, and one can find the scriptures he used when describing his theology of the Son of God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top