Art takes us where words fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Art is words…hence in iconography, iconographers do not “paint”, they “write”, and the axiomatic statement that “pictures paint a thousand words”.
 
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Golgotha by Fritz Koenig
 
God is the ultimate artist!(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
The Return of the Prodigal Son is an oil painting by Rembrandt .

The father in the painting speaks of the Father like no other .

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
When I picture Jesus, this is how I see him. Byzantine mosaic from Hagia Sophia.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Fresco from the Grotto of St Paul in Ephesus
 
This viewing of the Pieta make me see Mary in prayer and offering. I always defaulted to her sacrifice and mourning before. Great works of art always lead you to discover something new upon more reflection.
 
The Angelus is an oil painting by French painter Jean-François Millet, completed between 1857 and 1859 .

I have this in my living room .

It tells me how I neglect my prayer time and the quietness necessary for so much prayer .

It also says much about our modern , hectic life styles .

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Last edited:
If linking to our social media is not allowed, my apologies, but here is a link to my Pinterest board of Catholic and Orthodox art.

Blessed
 
I enjoyed your link. Many pieces I have not seen before and I have two art degrees!
 
Have you noticed that the right hand is the shape of a woman´s and the left is the shape of a man´s?
 
The Light of the World by the Pre-Raphaelite artist William Holman Hunt . There are two lights shown in the picture. The lantern is the light of conscience and the light around the head of Christ is the light of salvation. The door represents the human soul, which cannot be opened from the outside. There is no handle on the door, and the rusty nails and hinges overgrown with ivy denote that the door has never been opened and that the figure of Christ is asking permission to enter. The morning star appears near Christ, the dawn of a new day, and the autumn weeds and fallen fruit represent the autumn of life. The writing beneath the picture, is taken from Revelation 3 ‘Behold I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door I will come in to him and will sup with him and he with me.’

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
The Adoration of the Shepherds by El Greco

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top