Article concerning old "Tom and Jerry" cartoons

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t seen every episode of Tom and Jerry, but I think the issue with “Mammy” is that she is a caricature of black women. As with all caricatures, certain traits are emphasized to the extreme. If “Mammy Two-Shoes” was just one character on a show that had lots of different portrayals of black people on it, she probably wouldn’t have been considered racist. However, on Tom and Jerry, and pretty much every other show during that era, ALL black women were portrayed as lumbering, fat ladies with loud mouths and tacky clothes.
 
I haven’t seen every episode of Tom and Jerry, but I think the issue with “Mammy” is that she is a caricature of black women. As with all caricatures, certain traits are emphasized to the extreme. If “Mammy Two-Shoes” was just one character on a show that had lots of different portrayals of black people on it, she probably wouldn’t have been considered racist. However, on Tom and Jerry, and pretty much every other show during that era, ALL black women were portrayed as lumbering, fat ladies with loud mouths and tacky clothes.
That’s an interesting point, thank you.
 
I wonder what would happen if “Mom’s Mabley” (Loretta Aiken) appeared today. She’d probably be incarcerated.
 
I watched a lot of Tom and Jerry in my childhood and I never got anything racist out of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top