L
lo_amo87
Guest
Hey all. Due to curiousity, I recently watched a documentry entitled Food Inc. I do not consider myself a particularly “green” person and I enjoy consuming meat regularly.
But after watching the film and seeing the conditions animals are kept in as well as conditions the employees have to work in, I find myself a bit confused, disturbed, and dreading my next grocery shopping trip.
I worked for a large animal vet for 3 years and witnessed my share of disgusting farms where cows probably didn’t know what a blade of grass looked like (and were instead on a corn diet) and were ankle-deep in feces 24/7. Chickens are genetically manufactured to have humongous breasts and they can’t even walk correctly because of it. While I sympathize with the animals, I am also incredibly disturbed by the conditions of slaughter-houses and what exactly lingers in the food I feed my family.
I completely agree with the teaching that we have dominion over the beasts. But that means we also have the responsibility to their well-being. As Christians, aren’t we called to understand what we are buying, where it came from and how it was processed? I would also hate to think my money is going towards any of these mass-producers. The sad part is, organic food is so expensive. At this point in our lives, my husband and I cannot afford to buy all organic meat and veggies. I try here and there to buy it when I can, and only when it’s on sale. But for now, until we can afford to buy organic meat exclusively, I don’t want to even bother with anything else.
Blah I feel like I’m not forming my thoughts very well. Any (name removed by moderator)ut, my friends?
But after watching the film and seeing the conditions animals are kept in as well as conditions the employees have to work in, I find myself a bit confused, disturbed, and dreading my next grocery shopping trip.
I worked for a large animal vet for 3 years and witnessed my share of disgusting farms where cows probably didn’t know what a blade of grass looked like (and were instead on a corn diet) and were ankle-deep in feces 24/7. Chickens are genetically manufactured to have humongous breasts and they can’t even walk correctly because of it. While I sympathize with the animals, I am also incredibly disturbed by the conditions of slaughter-houses and what exactly lingers in the food I feed my family.
I completely agree with the teaching that we have dominion over the beasts. But that means we also have the responsibility to their well-being. As Christians, aren’t we called to understand what we are buying, where it came from and how it was processed? I would also hate to think my money is going towards any of these mass-producers. The sad part is, organic food is so expensive. At this point in our lives, my husband and I cannot afford to buy all organic meat and veggies. I try here and there to buy it when I can, and only when it’s on sale. But for now, until we can afford to buy organic meat exclusively, I don’t want to even bother with anything else.
Blah I feel like I’m not forming my thoughts very well. Any (name removed by moderator)ut, my friends?