Ash Wednesday Fasting question

  • Thread starter Thread starter ofc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ofc

Guest
I have found mixed answers on this, so I’m hoping for some guidance.

I know as a Catholic I’m required to fast on Wednesday, and normally this has not been a problem.

Since last year I have been dealing with a medical issue that after multiple tests and surgeries I still do not have a diagnosis. The biggest issue I have dealt with is vomitting multiple times daily.

I have also already tried several special diets, but last friday was recommended a new one. It already is very restrictive, requires small meals, mostly liquids and cooked vegetables, every 2 hours. Although the day is still young, today so far has been the only day in a very long time I haven’t thrown up. I have also been nauseous less over the weekend, and am keeping more foods down, so I’m very happy that maybe this will lead to finally knowing what the issue is.

I am allowed a pudding treat each day, and planned to give that up on Wednesday, but don’t know if that is enough. Trying to find the answer, I’ve come across many sites that have said not fasting is a sin, and that is the last thing I want to do. But I also don’t want to interrupt the diet plan that seems to be helping. What can i do?

Thank you for your assistance.
 
As someone who can’t fast from food, I try to fast from something else.

TV
Internet
Salt

Or anything else.
 
For medical reasons,you are excused from fasting. You can give up something else you like if you want.
Dominus vobiscum
 
I have found mixed answers on this, so I’m hoping for some guidance.

I know as a Catholic I’m required to fast on Wednesday, and normally this has not been a problem.

Since last year I have been dealing with a medical issue that after multiple tests and surgeries I still do not have a diagnosis. The biggest issue I have dealt with is vomitting multiple times daily.

I have also already tried several special diets, but last friday was recommended a new one. It already is very restrictive, requires small meals, mostly liquids and cooked vegetables, every 2 hours. Although the day is still young, today so far has been the only day in a very long time I haven’t thrown up. I have also been nauseous less over the weekend, and am keeping more foods down, so I’m very happy that maybe this will lead to finally knowing what the issue is.

I am allowed a pudding treat each day, and planned to give that up on Wednesday, but don’t know if that is enough. Trying to find the answer, I’ve come across many sites that have said not fasting is a sin, and that is the last thing I want to do. But I also don’t want to interrupt the diet plan that seems to be helping. What can i do?

Thank you for your assistance.
Alternatives can even be found for penance if a particular type cannot be undertaken. St. Pope Paul VI wrote when the fasting was changed with Paenitemini (February 17, 1966) that there are two forms of penance (generally chosen based upon prosperity):
  • The witness of ascetecism and charity, where economic well-being is greater.
  • Promotion of better social justice and offering suffering in prayer, where the standard of living is lower.
In the first place, Holy Mother Church, although it has always observed in a special way abstinence from meat and fasting, nevertheless wants to indicate in the traditional triad of “prayer—fasting—charity” the fundamental means of complying with the divine precepts of penitence. These means were the same throughout the centuries, but in our time there are special reasons whereby, according to the demands of various localities, it is necessary to inculcate some special form of penitence in preference to others.(60) Therefore, where economic well-being is greater, so much more will the witness of asceticism have to be given in order that the sons of the Church may not be involved in the spirit of the “world,”(61) and at the same time the witness of charity will have to be given to the brethren who suffer poverty and hunger beyond any barrier of nation or continent.(62) On the other hand, in countries where the standard of living is lower, it will be more pleasing to God the Father and more useful to the members of the Body of Christ if Christians—while they seek in every way to promote better social justice—offer their suffering in prayer to the Lord in close union with the Cross of Christ.
 
Last edited:
Get well soon. If you are 60 years old or older, you are no longer obliged to fast of Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.
 
Last edited:
http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-wor...information-on-lenten-fast-and-abstinence.cfm
“For members of the Latin Catholic Church, the norms on fasting are obligatory from age 18 until age 59.”

The Rules of Fasting - Fr. William Saunders
“Everyone 14 years of age and older is bound to the law of abstinence, and everyone 18 years of age but not yet 60 is bound to the law of fasting.”

Canon Law #1252
"Can. 1252 The law of abstinence binds those who have completed their fourteenth year. The law of fasting binds those who have attained their majority, until the beginning of their sixtieth year. … … "
 
You’re not required to fast or abstain on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, or any other day due to your health. The Church wants us to put our health first. If you want, you could do a minor form of penance instead, but you are not required to do anything. Always stay the side of caution when it comes to your health. You are probably not required to fast for the Eucharist either. If you think fasting before Communion would be hard for you in any way at all, then don’t fast. Just receive Communion.
God bless and have a great and Holy Lent.
 
Last edited:
Trying to find the answer, I’ve come across many sites that have said not fasting is a sin,
You are exempt due to health issues. You are not sinning if you cannot fast due to health issues.

You can substitute prayer and/or almsgiving.

The Church does not require you to risk your health, so be at peace.

Wishing you a Holy Ash Wednesday.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top