I was actually very happy with the way that the priest at my parish handled this phenomenon. He made sure to comment on the large crowd and how it would be nice to see such a large crowd weekly. Then he gave a very thorough homily, which annoyed most of the people only there for ashes. People around me actually complained wanting the priest to “hurry it up”. I’m sure he didn’t just give a long homily to get under these parishioners’ skins (though I must confess that was sort of funny), his homily was very spot on in interpreting the three readings together and trying to instill in the crowd the meaning of Lent. He warned the people that Lent is “not a joke” and that though God understands our failings and will always forgive us that “this doesn’t mean God likes it when we fail or doesn’t mind when we don’t try our hardest”.
Also he stressed that to say one doesn’t have time for God is “the biggest lie there is” because God Himself created time so to say one does not have time to go to Mass each week, or to go to confession regularly, or to pray a little each day is a big lie. How is it that we don’t have time for God Who created time but time for everything else? Lastly, the priest seemed to scare those who were only there to receive ashes by saving them for the very end and saying things prior to giving them out like “I hope no one came here just to get ashes”. One family behind me was grumbling quite loudly that they wanted “their” ashes and were worried that the priest wasn’t going to give ashes this year.
That said, it was a bit of a zoo that day. I had to struggle to hear the priest speak over the talking of others, the ringing cell phones, etc. And I’m a young guy with good hearing and our parish has speakers! I tried very hard to not judge those around me, I was so worried all through Mass that I was acting like a Pharisee, but at the same time I couldn’t get over my outrage at the disrepect shown towards the priest and later when we all received Holy Communion. I couldn’t ignore these people like I would prefer to do because they were so loud and found scattered throughout the church. As much as I would love it if these people would have a change of heart and take Mass and the Holy Eucharist more seriously and attend chuch every Sunday since that doesn’t seem likely I am glad they only show up on “special” days.