B
Billy, Ash Wednesday is on Wednesday. There is no vigil Mass. It is not a Holy Day of Obligatiion. But you should still try to go.Is the Vigil Mass offered for Ash Wednesday valid (ie does it still count)? And is it valid (ie still count) even though no ashes are blessed or distributed.
I would not be surprized if there are some parishes that are celebrating a mass of anticipation, but I have never ever heard of one around here. Ash Wednesday is a Wednesday and that is when Lent begins…not Tuesday night.That’s what I thought too but the bulletin says Vigil. I was just curious; it must be a mistake by the bulletin staff.
Nothing prevents the Church from allowing the Ash Wednesday liturgy to be used, and ashes distributed, on Tuesday evening. We simply have not elected to do it. Since Ash Wednesday is not a day of obligation, there is insufficient reason to make such a change.Hello,
I’m writing with regards to a Vigil Ash Wednesday Mass. There are Vigil Masses for this and for that; Sunday Vigil, Easter Vigil, Christmas Vigil (Christmas Eve Mass) etc. By ancient tradition, the next day begins at sundown the day before! Unfortunately, the Sunday Vigil is blown out of the water when there is a Saturday evening Mass at 4pm - and the sun doesn’t go down until 9pm or later. Yet, Churches still have the Saturday Vigil Masses. Why can’t there be an Ash Wednesday Vigil Mass, an anticipated Mass for the 1st day of Lent, after sunset? To say that it’s not possible would call into question the reasoning behind the rest of the Vigil Masses throughout the year. The only reason for not opening this door may be the shortage of clergy in Parishes. Other than that, I don’t see a Theological problem with an Anticipated Mass of Ash Wednesday in the evening (Shrove Tuesday). Steve