Ash Wednesday

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nowhere_Man
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nowhere_Man

Guest
I know it is a little early, but I’m curious: When the Priest distributes the ashes, is it his choice of which invocation he uses? Or is it now official that he must use “Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel.”, instead of “Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return.” or “Repent, and hear the good news.”?
 
“Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel.”, instead of “Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return.”
In my life time I have only heard these two invocations used. I don’t know of any document that stipulates what the priest or deacon can say. I am sure there is a document, the church has documents for just about everything.🙂
 
It’s his choice to make.

I don’t see “Repent and hear the Good News” included in the Book of Blessings choices. It rather sounds like a not quite accurate paraphrase of “Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel.”
 
I know it is a little early, but I’m curious: When the Priest distributes the ashes, is it his choice of which invocation he uses? Or is it now official that he must use “Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel.”, instead of “Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return.” or “Repent, and hear the good news.”?
It’s entirely his choice.

The first two forms that you wrote are the two that are in the Sacramentary. I don’t know where the third comes from.
 
Thanks, you guys. I used wikipedia to copy the blessings and the 3rd one was there, but it is probably a protestant version.
 
Of course the ceremony can be conducted in Latin, or other languages.

But my understanding of the official translations into English, approved for use in the U.S.A., are:
“Turn away from sin and be faithful to the gospel.” or
“Remember, man, you are dust and to dust you will return.”

(Roman Missal, Catholic Book Publishing Co., New York, 1985, page 77. This book has the above words, saying on page 78: "The blessing and giving of ashes may be done outside Mass. In this case the entire liturgy of the word should be celebrated: entrance song, opening prayer, readings and chants homily, blessing and giving of ashes, general intercessions.)

Another book approved for the USA is the Book of Blessings. The Latin edition of this book does not include a ceremony for distributing ashes on Ash Wednesday. But the USA edition does include it and has the words:
“Turn away from sin and be faithful to the gospel.” or
“Remember, you are dust and to dust you will return.”
(Book of Blessings, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8, page 625).

So the word “man” has been removed in the Book of Blessings. The introduction says “This blessing is an adaptation of the rite for the blessing and distribution of ashes on Ash Wednesday in The Roman Missal.” In making the adaptation they have put in a modified set of words from those approved for the Roman Missal. The Vatican have approved the Roman Missal and the Book of Blessings.

So I think it is reasonable to use one of these three, if it is being done in English in the U.S.A.:
“Turn away from sin and be faithful to the gospel.”
“Remember, man, you are dust and to dust you will return.”
“Remember, you are dust and to dust you will return.”

New translations of the Roman Missal are expected to be used in 2010 or 2011.
 
Of course the ceremony can be conducted in Latin, or other languages.

But my understanding of the official translations into English, approved for use in the U.S.A., are:
“Turn away from sin and be faithful to the gospel.” or
“Remember, man, you are dust and to dust you will return.”
Those are the current English translations (in the Sacramentary) of the Latin text in the Roman Missal. The Latin texts are:

Paenitémini, et crédite Evangélio.

Meménto, homo, quia pulvis es, et in púlverem revertéris.
 
I know it is a little early, but I’m curious: When the Priest distributes the ashes, is it his choice of which invocation he uses? Or is it now official that he must use “Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel.”, instead of “Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return.” or “Repent, and hear the good news.”?
I guess all three work. The only one I have ever heard in my entire life is “Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return.” I’ve actually never heard of the other two.
 
The problem with changing “remember man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return” to something more “politically correct” is that it misses the theological significance of the words.

When the priest says “remember man” he is speaking not only to the individual person, but to mankind, and even more, to “Adam” (the Hebrew word which after all means “man”). It reminds us that death (as we know it after the Fall) itself, and returning to the dust is a consequence of Adam’s sin and of our own sins. It’s an important message which gets lost when the words are changed.
 
I know it is a little early, but I’m curious: When the Priest distributes the ashes, is it his choice of which invocation he uses? Or is it now official that he must use “Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel.”, instead of “Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return.” or “Repent, and hear the good news.”?
I’ve heard all three of those. Out of the three, I like “Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top