ashamed of praying in public.

  • Thread starter Thread starter DMC12
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DMC12

Guest
well, i have this problem, I’m usually ashamed of praying in public before meals, and im wondering if it’s a sin to do the prayers in a secret way because of that?

specially since I know that praying before meals is not obligatory under normal situations, but i feel like if im ashamed it becomes so, so I dont be ashamed of Christ.

so i would like also your prayers and advice to how to overcome it.
 
Jesus says: For he that shall be ashamed of me, and of my words, in this adulterous and sinful generation: the Son of man also will be ashamed of him, when he shall come in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Don’t care what other people think about you, just care about what our Lord thinks about you … and never EVER be ashamed of professing your faith in Him. God bless you.
 
Take heart my friend, you are not alone. I went to confession this week and brought up a similar sin. A wonderful Priest gave me a penance and told me I was to pray for courage to live out my faith. What a gift. God truly works in our lives to bring about our salvation.

JMR
 
well, i have this problem, I’m usually ashamed of praying in public before meals, and im wondering if it’s a sin to do the prayers in a secret way because of that?

specially since I know that praying before meals is not obligatory under normal situations, but i feel like if im ashamed it becomes so, so I dont be ashamed of Christ.

so i would like also your prayers and advice to how to overcome it.
Just Do It! You are afraid of criticism, I hope and not ashamed to show your faith in God. Be a witness and you will be the light of Christ in a dark world. We are all called to share Christ’s message with the world and encourage others to make the journey to everlasting life. One small step for the love of God, I will pray that you have the courage to live out your faith. 🙂
 
Take heart my friend, you are not alone. I went to confession this week and brought up a similar sin. A wonderful Priest gave me a penance and told me I was to pray for courage to live out my faith. What a gift. God truly works in our lives to bring about our salvation.

JMR
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 
well, i have this problem, I’m usually ashamed of praying in public before meals, and im wondering if it’s a sin to do the prayers in a secret way because of that?

specially since I know that praying before meals is not obligatory under normal situations, but i feel like if im ashamed it becomes so, so I dont be ashamed of Christ.

so i would like also your prayers and advice to how to overcome it.
In my experience, the best thing is just to start doing it. The more you pray in public, the more it will seem normal and not a big deal, even if it is very awkward and uncomfortable at first. If you are at a restaurant, you can pray as soon as the server brings everyone’s food and then walks away. This is a good time when you are unlikely to be interrupted.
 
How do i post a new thread in this forum???
When you come to the page that lists the posts in the forum, look at the upper left, right above where it says “Threads in Forum: Spirituality.” There’s a button that says “New Thread.”
 
DMC12,

I understand this. It is my habit to thank God before eating, but I do not eat “in public” much. However, when I do, I always feel a bit of uneasiness; embarrassment when I pray in a visible manner. Like you, it seems, I wish I did not feel this way. It seems to me there are three likely reasons for this anxiety, and they are not necessarily unrelated. One, we do not love God enough. Two, the perceived criticism or acceptance of others is too important to us. Three, we are lacking in the virtue of courage.

We are fallen individuals, and unfortunately, our emotions often point away from God because of this. As with every situation in which this is the case, we need to strive to overcome these emotions and choose God’s will.

You recognize a problem exists and are asking for help. This indicates to me you are pointed in the right direction. 😉 Hope. I do not have any advice beyond what others have already given, but I will pray for you regarding this matter. 🙂
 
Jesus says: For he that shall be ashamed of me, and of my words, in this adulterous and sinful generation: the Son of man also will be ashamed of him, when he shall come in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Don’t care what other people think about you, just care about what our Lord thinks about you … and never EVER be ashamed of professing your faith in Him. God bless you.
:thumbsup:words to live by!
 
well, i have this problem, I’m usually ashamed of praying in public before meals, and im wondering if it’s a sin to do the prayers in a secret way because of that?

specially since I know that praying before meals is not obligatory under normal situations, but i feel like if im ashamed it becomes so, so I dont be ashamed of Christ.

so i would like also your prayers and advice to how to overcome it.
With myself, I say grace. I started sometimes doing it, on my own, when I was still in grade school. I wrestled with this. At that stage, I was in the minority, and I was once voted the shiest person in my grade.

Sometimes, I made the sign of the cross openly. Other times, I chickened out and prayed without making the sign of the cross. That’s also how it felt. I felt, if I didn’t do this, that I was chickening out, being a coward. I was quite young, though, and succumbed to what I perceived as pressure to fit in and belong.

Now that I am an adult, I have a policy where I will do that one thing, say grace with the sign of the cross, and I let the chips fall where they may. Now, I live in a Catholic country, but even if I didn’t, I still think I would do this anyway.

While it’s not a requirement to say grace, it’s a good idea. We see in Christ’s example at the Last Supper that he said grace.

For myself, I feel, if I don’t make the sign of the cross when I say grace, that I am giving in to pressure to conform, to be like everyone else, lead an entirely secular life.

Do you know how powerful the power of example is? For about 10 or so years, I left my faith. Two friends of mine at the time were Catholic and one, evangelical. I think their example helped me return to my faith They would say grace, and I went from not really having any kind of prayer life to saying grace with them.

After that, I began to realize that I liked saying grace, so I continued the practice even when they weren’t around. Not only did I say grace but began looking into how to get back to Church!

I think I reverted starting with simple, small acts like saying grace. So, don’t underestimate the impact even something like saying grace could have on another person. It’s a reminder not only to yourself, but to others around you, of God in our lives.
 
learn and tell these words from Scriptures to those who say: “we are not obliged by any canon law to listen to any prophecy …” 3 tell them: Scriptures never lie, they say: “make sure that you never refuse to listen when He speaks; if the people on earth refused to listen to a warning, could not escape their punishment, how shall we possibly escape if we turn away from a voice that warns us from Heaven? that time His Voice made the earth shake, but now He has given us this promise: I am going to shake the earth once more and not only the earth but heaven as well;”
spoken by the Blessed Mother Mary in the True Life In God Messages (TLIG.ORG)
 
well, i have this problem, I’m usually ashamed of praying in public before meals, and im wondering if it’s a sin to do the prayers in a secret way because of that?

specially since I know that praying before meals is not obligatory under normal situations, but i feel like if im ashamed it becomes so, so I dont be ashamed of Christ.

so i would like also your prayers and advice to how to overcome it.
I used to feel the same way. I added a prayer to St Stephen each morning asking him to pray for me for the strength to proclaim the gospel even in the face of persecution. St Stephen gave up his life proclaiming faith in Christ so with his prayers I have found the strength to not fear other’s opinions about praying in public.
 
For all the times we prayed in public, nothing ever happened, in a negative way.
Ask yourself, what is the worst thing that can happen? You are surrounded by strangers and they will continue to go about their day. You and I don’t live in a place where the sign of the cross can get you thrown into jail.

The good that comes out of it is that 1) you will overcome this inner struggle for the sake of Jesus. Yeah! This will gain you merit in Christ’s eyes. 2) It will make a good impression on someone who never thinks of Christ. Before I was a believer, I remember when I was on the bus and my eyes happen to see a lady slowly do the sign of the cross. It gave me goosebumps. I thought that this lady was friends with God and she just called him into a conversation. On the bus. She wasn’t even in church or maybe going to bed. Made me pause and reflect on that and I remember the incident from over 30 years ago. That’s a strong impression. Now I’m the one making the sign of the cross in public! 3) When you do the sign of the cross in public, you make God smile, and he says to himself, now I can use that! You never know what God is up to when we step out of our comfort zone for him.
 
well, i have this problem, I’m usually ashamed of praying in public before meals, and im wondering if it’s a sin to do the prayers in a secret way because of that?

specially since I know that praying before meals is not obligatory under normal situations, but i feel like if im ashamed it becomes so, so I dont be ashamed of Christ.

so i would like also your prayers and advice to how to overcome it.
This is certainly not mortal sin, as the matter is not grave enough. To pray in any secular place secretly is of course no sin at all. Honestly, I’d rather more discreet prayers than long, demonstrative evangelical-style prayers in public. Now, it looks like you’re ashamed of drawing attention to your piety; that’s no sin, but rather virtue (humility and modesty). So, in certain circumstances, I’d say that what you’re doing is appropriate.

But it also looks like you worry that you’ve a default in courage. In order better to gauge your motivation, I would bring this before your confessor and obey his counsels on this one. He may have some advice for you that would put all of this in perspective.

God bless.
 
thanks to all of you.

i was wondering is it a sin if i failed to do so? or just a failure and continue?
also is it wrong that i would look for a place were nobody would see me if i had the chance, or do i have to bring it in fron t of everything. specially since im begining to being obsesed about it, and keep adding more and more times where i should pray visible, and i fear im sinning if i dont do so.

and yes, i think it’s more of a fear of being taken for a prude, since im not afraid to be seen at mass, or to cross myself when passing through a Church and yes, I’ve been critiziced by that.
 
thanks to all of you.

i was wondering is it a sin if i failed to do so? or just a failure and continue?
also is it wrong that i would look for a place were nobody would see me if i had the chance, or do i have to bring it in fron t of everything. specially since im begining to being obsesed about it, and keep adding more and more times where i should pray visible, and i fear im sinning if i dont do so.

and yes, i think it’s more of a fear of being taken for a prude, since im not afraid to be seen at mass, or to cross myself when passing through a Church and yes, I’ve been critiziced by that.
 
Daily prayer, as often as possible, is the best way to grow in holiness. Taking our faith a step further and walking the talk is what we are called to do.
Many Saints were so boldly in love with God, they prayed to be martyrs.
But yes, work yourself up to it with a daily prayer life—morning, evening, Rosary, meals, entering/exiting your home, passing a church, praying for others…
Always tell Jesus you love Him, thank and praise Him.
And there is something efficacious about blessing oneself slowly, reverently, and succinctly that has made a difference for me.

You’d never worry about what other people think of you if you knew how seldom they do.

The one who prays has peace and real love. Try to show people, not you, but Jesus.

“There are few people who realize what God would make of them if they abandoned themselves entirely into His hands, and let themselves be formed by His grace.”
~Saint Ignatius

“Do not allow doubts and anxiety to make us lose composure. But very calmly give ourselves to the Immaculate and not worry about it, simply have no time for it and busy ourselves with something else.”
~Saint Maximilian Kolbe
 
I though I was alone. I’m going through the same thing. It also happened that I was praying the Rosary and my father (he called me a fanatic once) walked past and I grabbed my cellphone because I don’t know the last prayer (The one that says “Hail Mother of Mercy… on this valley of tears…”) but I also put it in front of me so he wouldn’t realise I was praying, it was so fast that I didn’t have time to think. I just want to know if it is a mortal sin, please!!. If it is not I will still try to stop anyway. I am confortable if my mother sees me though. I wouldn’t say it’s a mortal sin, specially because they all know I go to Mass and I’m not ashamed. Please, is it a mortal sin (the saying grace issue and the Rosary issue)???
 
If we are constant with our Faith & devotions, they can only deepen and grow.
Never a thought of quitting
Always moving forward
Never losing hope
Patiently enduring the present
Forgiving and forgetting
Humbly sacrificing
Generously offering
Fearlessly loving
Gratefully praising
Do yourself a favor (and those around you) practice praying before (and after) meals slowly, reverently, and courageously.
Not that it matters, but poor sinners will actual admire you for doing this.
And take yourself to a distraction-free area to meditate on the mysteries of the most holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Turn away from sin.
Never turn away from our Catholic Faith!

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee to we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn, then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top