ashamed of praying in public.

  • Thread starter Thread starter DMC12
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, i have this problem, I’m usually ashamed of praying in public before meals, and im wondering if it’s a sin to do the prayers in a secret way because of that?

specially since I know that praying before meals is not obligatory under normal situations, but i feel like if im ashamed it becomes so, so I dont be ashamed of Christ.

so i would like also your prayers and advice to how to overcome it.
 
Don’t be afraid or ashamed to pray in public for any reason, unless you are praying for the attention. Remember the story of the Pharisee and Publican; one prayed for the attention and the other prayed for forgiveness (a generality). Over the years, and especially now in the current attack on Christians and Catholics around the world, I have realized the importance of my faith in Christ. Praying quietly in public is a way to evangelize, especially if our actions and intentions are pure and we live what we pray. Christ knows what is in our hearts and that’s all that matters.
 
Since it is becoming rather common to see folks say grace before meals in restaurants, I’m surprised at this thread. Maybe I just hang out in all the right places. 😉 I think what did it for us is that we most generally go out with other Catholic couples and it is such a natural thing for us to do. Sometimes the server even waits for us to finish as we’re holding hands and they are unable to set the food down. :o

We often see non-Catholic families saying grace with their children in restaurants. You can always tell - (no Sign of the Cross) but it does my heart good to see such a public witness of their faith and commitment.

To the OP, I’d say, “just do it.” The newness and embarrassment will eventually wear off and you won’t even think twice about it. Oh…and on my way around the pond the other day, I saw a woman saying her rosary as she walked. We nodded the first time around, but I averted my eyes as I passed her again so as not to interrupt her meditation.
 
Initially I had this problem. I guess to a point I still feel a bit self-conscious. My advice is to pray anyway. It gets easier in time, and I think our Lord understands. It’s better to be uncomfortable and obedient than disobedient and comfortable. As a new convert, I’m trying to remember to do the sign of the cross also and I imagine to start with that will make me feel just as self-conscious as just praying before the meal did. But it will get easier in time.
 
“just do it.” The newness and embarrassment will eventually wear off and you won’t even think twice about it
This gem of wisdom could apply to so many other things besides public prayer, i.e., regular confessions, introducing yourself to strangers, singing fervantly at Mass, voicing injustice, giving your testimony of faith, random selfless acts of kindness, etc.

Once we pass that barrier of ‘hesitation’, it’s a different world, a place where we can genuinely discern the will of God and produce much fruit for the Master.

We give Thee thanks for all Thy benefits, O Almighty God, who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.
It’s better to be uncomfortable and obedient than disobedient and comfortable.
Ain’t that the truth!

As we get older we realize what a huge waste of time it was being self-conscious—all those missed opportunities to make a real difference.
And it certainly does get easier to be bold and courageous when we become instruments of the Holy Spirit.
The world needs more Super Saints!
Continually thank the Lord for His blessings and always seek to please Jesus and bring more poor sinners into His Kingdom.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top