Ashes from other demoninations

  • Thread starter Thread starter KarenElissa
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KarenElissa

Guest
Is it considered acceptable to receive ashes on Ash Wednesday from a protestant church? If so, would they be considered sacramental?

I’m just curious as I work for a preschool loosely associated with a Methodist church. On Ash Wednesday during our normal staff devotion time, the pastor will be talking about Ash Wednesday and doing the ashes.

It isn’t an actual issue for me as I had already planned on going to Mass that morning before work, so I’ll already have ashes, but I’m just curious.
 
Is it considered acceptable to receive ashes on Ash Wednesday from a protestant church? If so, would they be considered sacramental?

I’m just curious as I work for a preschool loosely associated with a Methodist church. On Ash Wednesday during our normal staff devotion time, the pastor will be talking about Ash Wednesday and doing the ashes.

It isn’t an actual issue for me as I had already planned on going to Mass that morning before work, so I’ll already have ashes, but I’m just curious.
You would be receiving just simply ash, not the sacramental blessing that comes with properly blessed ashes.
 
In most protestant churches the imposition of the ashes is voluntary as well.
 
In most protestant churches the imposition of the ashes is voluntary as well.
Ya, it wouldn’t have been a big deal not to receive them, even if I wasn’t going to already have them, I was just curious how exactly they would be viewed.
 
In most protestant churches the imposition of the ashes is voluntary as well.
In the Catholic Church, the imposition of the ashes is voluntary, too. (Well, it wasn’t in MY house,but those were my rules as Mom, not the church’s . . . )
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top