Asking a priest about ministries

  • Thread starter Thread starter TK421
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TK421

Guest
I’ve been going to a new parish for the past month or so. Do you think it would be odd if I just asked the priest after a Mass, “Father, I’d like to serve somehow in the parish. Did you have something in mind?” I’m assuming priests keep a regular tab on ministries within the parish.
 
I’ve been going to a new parish for the past month or so. Do you think it would be odd if I just asked the priest after a Mass, “Father, I’d like to serve somehow in the parish. Did you have something in mind?” I’m assuming priests keep a regular tab on ministries within the parish.
I would recommend making an appointment and not speaking to Fr. after Mass. Saying mass+ homily is hard work and priests often feel out of sorts after. Chatting with him at the office would be FAR better.
 
It depends on what your new Priest does after Mass. for example, my Vicar general always stands outside to chat with anyone who comes up to say hi. In that setting I would introduce myself and ask him who I should speak to regarding ministries. He would prob ask what interests me, then point me in the direction of that person.

Wait and see how your new Parish operates. What Ministry does interest you?
 
Last edited:
I’ve been going to a new parish for the past month or so. Do you think it would be odd if I just asked the priest after a Mass, “Father, I’d like to serve somehow in the parish. Did you have something in mind?”
Well, I was always delighted when that happened to me and I would suppose the Priest of your new parish would be as well. Possibly he will refer you to someone else…or not. Often, it depends upon how large the parish is and how the ministries are organised.
 
Not odd at all. That’s what most helpful people do. People who are less talented wait to be begged. he will be delighted. Go for it!!!
 
I’ve been going to a new parish for the past month or so. Do you think it would be odd if I just asked the priest after a Mass, “Father, I’d like to serve somehow in the parish. Did you have something in mind?” I’m assuming priests keep a regular tab on ministries within the parish.
Sure. It would be the most delightful words that your priest can hear. Yes, do that.
 
Five and a half years ago, I did just this except it was before a Mass during the week. “Can I help you with anything, Father?” Turns out that he was looking for someone to open and close the chapel for weekday Mass as well as prepare the elements of the liturgy. Six months later, I became head sacristan.

Never hesitate to ask. No matter how well organized a parish seems, there is always a need for another pair of helping hands.

God bless you for being open to your parish’s needs. On the rare occasions that someone steps forward here, they usually have one or two activities in mind and will not consider others regardless of what the pastor is actually seeking. As a result we have some groups with too many volunteers and others where three people are doing the work of fifteen.
 
Last edited:
I’m moving soon to another state and plan to do the exact same thing, so I certainly hope it will not be seen as odd! I think any priest will be delighted, though he will probably refer you to somebody else depending on what you ask, and of course it depends on how busy he is after Mass. Some priests have to quickly hop in a car and drive to another parish. Most parishes I’ve been to the priest will be around for a while after, but of course there are other people who have a need to talk to him so I wouldn’t expect to have his undivided attention for a long conversation right after Mass with a bunch of other parishioners coming out of the church. If he looks busy when you greet him after Mass, consider asking him instead when a good moment would be to talk about getting involved in the parish. I imagine his answer would be anything from “let’s talk right now” to “go talk to Jane Doe in the parish office between the hours of X and Y”.
 
You can also call the parish office. The secretary will know who is in need of volunteers!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top