Asking for forgiveness

  • Thread starter Thread starter Julie_de_Sales
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Julie_de_Sales

Guest
I have this problem that comes up every now and then and that I don’t really know how to handle. In short, I often feel like I’m hurting other people’s feelings by my words and by my attitude. I tend to be ironic and make sarcatic jokes without any desire to give offense, but I don’t know how others take it 😛 especially when it involves people that don’t express their feelings easily. Also, I’m more of an introvert and I can come across as cold and uncaring. Or, for example, I might get angry for stupid reasons and after I calm down I dont know if the other person is/was hurt or not.
The right thing to do might be to go ask the other person to forgive me if I have hurt them, but in most of the situations it would be awkward to do so (or at least this is my impression) because I dont want to bring up something that they have already forget or wasn’t a big deal for them.
Maybe you could give me some advice about this…sometimes I think that it’s because I’m too sensitive myself that I project it upon others as well…I dont know:confused:
 
I think you may be too hard on yourself. If your intentions do not include negativity (i.e. to belittle someone or to talk down to someone) then trust that they will not think that way. Anyone can misinterpret our words or intentions through no fault of ours. Having said that, your sincerity might reflect that you want to change you tone, specific words being used, etc. That is doable albeit not easy. Include in your prayers a wish to “think first”…I need to do more of that myself. You could always make a small joke that you don’t always think about how your words, however innocent, come across and that you would never want to hurt someone. Those that love you will love you all the more!
 
I think you should pray about it. Sometimes God can give nagging thoughts when He wants us to pay attention to something. It is hard to know how another person truly feels, & sometimes your words may have affected them due to other things unrelated to you. Your words can be a trigger etc. I dont know. But I would say, pray about it & follow the guideance of the Holy Spirit, & you will know what to do. 😉
In all things, it is always Christ you are reconciling with, & I dont think you can ever go wrong by saying you care about how someone else feels.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top