Asperges at Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter a83192
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a83192

Guest
Can this formula be chanted in latin during the sprinkling of holy water at an OF Mass?

Can the responsories at the end and the collect be recited by the priest as well in the OF Mass?

Asperges me, Domine, hyssopo, et mundabor: lavabis me, et super nivem dealbabor.
Ps. Miserere mei, Deus, secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
V. Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
Antiphona. Asperges me, Domine…

V. Ostende nobis, Domine, misericordiam tuam.
R. Et salutare tuum da nobis.
V. Domine, exaudi orationem meam.
R. Et clamor meus ad te veniat.
V. Dominus vobiscum.
R. Et cum spiritu tuo.

Oremus.- Exaudi nos, Domine sancte, Pater omnipotens, aeterne Deus, et mittere digneris sanctum Angelum tuum de coelis, qui custodiat, foveat, protegat, visitet atque defendat omnes habitantes in hoc habitaculo. Pro Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
 
The priest would have to only say the prayers that are in the book. But, while the sprinkling is happening, I see no reason why the choir/congregation could not sing the old antiphon/responses and, if there is time, chant the old concluding prayer. The Missal directs the priest to bless the water and then says something like “The priest then sprinkles himself, the ministers and the assembly while an antiphon or other appropriate song is sung.”

The texts you mention (as well as the Vidi aquam verse and response) seem to be as appropriate as anything anyone could suggest. But, again, the priest should limit himself to saying what is in the Missal. That’s how I see it, anyway.
 
The Asperges me and Vidi aquam are found in Appendix I of the Missale (or Sacramentary). They can be chanted in Latin, aut alius cantus aptus canari potest, such as an English-language setting.

I don’t see the responsory or that particular collect; instead the priest prays “Deus omnipotens, nos a peccatis puríficet, et per huius Eucharistiae celebrationem dignos nos reddat, qui mensae regni sui participes efficiamur. R. Amen.” Then the Mass continues with the Gloria, or, I’d suppose, with the proper Collect quando omittitur Gloria.
 
I would say the choir could chant the asperges chant, but I’m not sure about the responses.
 
I would say the choir could chant the asperges chant, but I’m not sure about the responses.
As to the chants, the missal simply says that the chant or song “peragitur,” so it can be sung by the choir or by the congregation. The responses are not in the missal, however, so it is obviously quite forbidden to simply add them to the Mass on one’s own initiative. “No person, even if he be a priest,” etc., etc.
 
The responses are not in the missal, however, so it is obviously quite forbidden to simply add them to the Mass on one’s own initiative. “No person, even if he be a priest,” etc., etc.
Duh… musta’ been falling asleep at the keyboard. I should have known that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top