D
D0UBTFIRE
Guest
Can someone please clarify these points for me?
There are a lot of teachings that we’re supposed to believe in as Catholics. I believe the way it’s phrased is we have to give “the assent of faith”. Does “assent of faith” mean that we have to agree that the teaching is 100% certain? In other words, Catholics teach that God is a trinity. As a Catholic, can a person say “The Church teaches that God is a trinity, so God is probably a trinity, but I don’t know that for certain” ?
Or is this the only acceptable thought process: “the Church teaches that God is a trinity, therefor God is definitely a trinity, and I know this with certainty”
These are honest questions - I actually don’t know if the second one is a view that a Catholic can hold and still be considered Catholic so I’m asking.
I don’t care about the doctrine of the Trinity in any special way, I’m just using it as an example.
There are a lot of teachings that we’re supposed to believe in as Catholics. I believe the way it’s phrased is we have to give “the assent of faith”. Does “assent of faith” mean that we have to agree that the teaching is 100% certain? In other words, Catholics teach that God is a trinity. As a Catholic, can a person say “The Church teaches that God is a trinity, so God is probably a trinity, but I don’t know that for certain” ?
Or is this the only acceptable thought process: “the Church teaches that God is a trinity, therefor God is definitely a trinity, and I know this with certainty”
These are honest questions - I actually don’t know if the second one is a view that a Catholic can hold and still be considered Catholic so I’m asking.
I don’t care about the doctrine of the Trinity in any special way, I’m just using it as an example.