At what point does one break the 3rd commandment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter InJesusItrust
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

InJesusItrust

Guest
I was reading a thread on Chick-a-fila and this point came to me. I am not a Catholic yet and we do not go the Church on Sunday yet, But what is breaking the third commandment?

For example, I enjoy reading books on programming. I don’t do it out of need but do it because I enjoy it. Yet it would contribute to my future career. Would this be breaking the third commandment?

What if a boss requires me to work on a Sunday or I have homework do on Monday and I could not fit all my work on Saturday and Friday?

How does one break the third commandment?
 
I have concerns about the legalistic viewpoint of Christianity that essentially makes it into a giant list of rules.

If you aren’t letting any of these activities interfere with your day of rest and still set aside the day to God, then I don’t see what is wrong with them. I mowed the lawn on Sunday. Why? I like mowing and it gives me time to contemplate. Someone else might consider it to be a sin, but I don’t.

If you had to work on Sunday and were unable to avoid it, then set aside a different day of the week. The actual calendar day of the week is less important IMHO than the purpose behind it.
 
The way I look at it(and I could be wrong)is not to do extra projects on sunday. You can still clean up after yourself and help your children with there homework etc. Just dont pick Sunday to redo your landscaping and shovel rock. Ps start going to church. It was tough for me in the beginning but now it is one of my favorite things to do. It lowers my strees and gives me strength.
 
… Just dont pick Sunday to redo your landscaping and shovel rock. …
But is just what I did Sunday (shoveled mulch, not rock) So do I need to go to confession?
I"m with Bill Martin on this one.
I guess I have to go ask my priest.

I enjoy the time working in the earth. For my employment I’m in an office or a vehicle all day long. To work directly with plants and living things in nature with my dog at my side (usually humming and thinking of the psalms or just prayer) feels almost as much being close to God as going to Mass.
 
I believe the concern is against “servile work”, which is to work for another for pay, which is to not rest. Self work around the home, the garden, reading, studying that is for self and without pay. And the church has allowed exceptions where the work is necessary for life such as Police, Firemen, Doctors, Nurses, medics, ambulance etc.
If your job requires a Sunday shift, and it is your strongly held belief not to work on Sunday, then your employer should attempt to find another to work your shift. If you ever lose your job for not working on Sunday, contact the ACLJ - christian counterpart to ACLU - and they will work to assist you.
 
I’ve heard homilies by priests in both forms have their own opinions about Sunday work. But it was generally agreed upon that some things & jobs must be done regardless of the day of the week. Also they said that some activities are not considered work if they are considered more for pleasure things like gardening & that Sunday may be your own free day to tend it to it.

I have a job where my current schedule requires I work on Sundays. At least, I have the chance to go to Mass on Saturday evening vigil to fulfill my obligation as I am required to work both Saturday and Sunday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top