The subject is atheist morality and so I’m trying to relate “sin” to morality, and whether it’s moral to believe someone like Hitler is in heaven while his victims are not. You brought up the subject of sin.
If I believe Hitler is deserving of heaven while his victims are not that would strike me as a sin, something immoral. Apparently you do not agree. Could you please explain?
I would think I am being reasonable, truthful, and acting in good conscience by making such a determination. And I think Hitler clearly acted in disobedience to your Jesus. Don’t you think?
But yet you seem inclined to believe that Hitler could be in this heaven while his victims are not. Doesn’t this bring your notion of what is “moral” into question?
But if you are equating morality with loyalty to your beliefs, then I can understand what you mean. That’s what everyone does.
Ah I see. Now I understand the connection you were making. I am not inclined to believe one or the other. I can call a man damnable but not damn him. Is it possible that Hitler is in heaven, it is possible. Is it possible that he is in hell, it is. I never said he was deserving of heaven more than his victims, I am not sure where you got that. You are forgetting that NO ONE is deserving of heaven. Not his victims, not hitler, not mother teresa, NO ONE is deserving. We get to heaven only through the grace of God. Do you know what Grace is? (I am trying to ask this in a derogatory way).
But I think you hit on a point that was very profound in my conversion. This seemingly backwards morality that Jesus presents. This man who when people were going to rightly stone a prostitute caught in adultery says, “let he who is without sin cast the first stone.” This makes you think WHAT?! Why is he defending that slut! It makes us all want to pose the same question you posed here, “
If I believe that a slut is deserving of heaven more than the religious leaders of that time that would strike me as a sin, something immoral.”
Or to give another example, the prodigal son. A man has two sons one of which completely screw’s his father over by spending all his inheritance on debauchery and then, after loosing it all, decides to come crawling home to beg for forgiveness. We read that story and think… “oh man… he is going to get it now!. His father is going to rebuke him for all he did and maybe even hang him as he praises his other son who has worked with him all these years.” And yet… what happens? The prodigal son get’s welcomed back with open arms, and tears in his fathers eyes. The story that breaks your heart. And yet, here comes the son who has worked for his father loyally all his years and is upset that his father did not kill his brother who wasted all his fathers fortune. At this point we cant help of bringing up your question again, “
If I believe that a low life, good for nothing, selfish brat is deserving of heaven more than the son who worked loyally for his father then that would strike me as a sin, something immoral.”
Here is the difference. In both cases, our objections, your objections, are answered by the mystery which is Love. Although it seems like a problem to read a story like the prodigal son since you empathize with the loyal son, i instead used the word mystery for a special reason. Namely, that the diffrence between a problem and mystery is that you question a problem but a mystery questions you. I forgot who put it this way, “getting to mars is a problem… but Love is a mystery, the problem of pain is a mystery, God is a mystery”
So my point is that in looking at some of these biblical stories about the prodigal son or the prostitute who was to be stoned, though we think “Aha! I caught you God! Your very immoral for defending these people” Instead we have God saying, “Aha! I caught you, for after reading this story and hearing of my Love, your heart is broken and you now realize what a sinner you are for sympathizing with the pharisee’s who wanted to stone the prostitute, or the son who felt angry that his father was rejoicing to have his dead son alive again… or with Judas when he rebukes the woman who covers Jesus feet with perfume.” In all of these cases, you realize that our sense of morality (in many but not all matters) is so warped that we cannot predict what Jesus would do. Even well renowned secular thinkers acknowledge the surprise that is constantly encountered by reading the new testament. And yet, it is a wonderful surprise.
Last point. If you have never read Genesis I highly encourage you to do so. In it, you hear the story of Jacob and Esau who were brothers. His blind father Isaac was going to give his blessing to Esau but Jacob pretends to be Esau and steals his brothers blessing. Isaac asks Jacob, Who are you? and Jacob replies I am Esau. So when Esau finds out, he is furious and wants to kill his brother. So Jacob runs away like the liar, coward and thief that he is. He spends a long time in a foreign land until finally he decides to go back and confront his brother. The night before he meets up with his brother Jacob wrestles with God and upon pinning him and asking God to give him his blessing, God asks him a remarkable question: “WHO ARE YOU?” That is when Jacob thinks, just like we all must think when we first read the new testament “You got me… I am Jacob.”
And it isn’t till then that God says, you have answered right and because you finally confronted who you really are (a sinner, liar, thief) now I am going to make something great of you. So I invite you to confront who you really know you are and let God make a great man out of you.
No one is deserving of heaven. But through Jesus blood we have been given the gift of life that he offers freely.