S
San_Patricio
Guest
Just out of curiosity, you believe that all that is came about⦠how? Just curious.Religion (and specifically God) as human invention may be a simplification but it is essentially what I believe as an atheist.
![]()
Just out of curiosity, you believe that all that is came about⦠how? Just curious.Religion (and specifically God) as human invention may be a simplification but it is essentially what I believe as an atheist.
![]()
Iām not using the old argument of contradicting religions. Thatās a dead horse.celluloid
Itās true that religions present different concepts of God. Some of them are wildly contradictory. There have also been several wildly contradictory theories of evolution. Would you say for that reason that God does not exist and evolution didnāt happen?
I donāt know that any one god does not exist, but we can be pretty sure that at least a few gods are purely imaginary because I know from experience that imaginary beings do occur as invented ideas. From what I know about human imagination and credulity, I would expect there to be some imaginary gods. And I think we both agree that there are.How do you know one of those Gods does not exist? You donāt. There isnāt any way to prove atheism true. Thatās why itās a belief sytem, rather than a fact.
I agree with that on a personal level. I donāt speak for other atheists, but I believe there is no God because it suits me personally. I can assert that I have no strong desire to believe in God and that is probably why Iām an atheist. The rational reasons came later.Generally speaking, people believe what it suits them to believe.
There is only limited merit to that. I think that theism may exist in a similar sense that pain exists. It may be unpleasant (because it is false to atheists) but it serves as an aid to survival.Most people believe in God. Some people do not. Given the relative rarity of atheism, I think the more democratic idea is the more superior idea.
I have no interest in believing in God but it is important to seek the truth through discussion, wherever it may lead.So it becomes the lifelong task of atheists to visit places like Catholic Answers and keep looking for the God they deep down want, even though they still have issues with Him.
I think youāre lying to yourself.I can assert that I have no strong desire to believe in God and that is probably why Iām an atheist.
I think that there were and are many causes of the origin of God and sustained belief.Just out of curiosity, you believe that all that is came about⦠how? Just curious.
We are different people so your post makes no sense to me.I think youāre lying to yourself.
I used to be an Atheist. I strutted around, telling myself, āI donāt need God. I have no need of Him. Why should I believe in a fairy tale, etc ā¦ā I told this to others too.
Irish Becca,What do you say to atheists who believe God is a human invention? Thank you so much.
Ribozyme,I would say that it is much more parisimonous to believe in that than to say that God exists. Suffering exists in the world, and Christianity has evolved to exploit that by offering comfort and eternal salvation to palliate humanity. Of course, some realize that their is no basis in reality for this comfort, and conclude that Christianity is merely a human construction.
Irish Becca, always remember that people can claim whatever they want. Of course, it doesnāt make it true. Take the above as an example.I would say that it is much more parisimonous to believe in that than to say that God exists. Suffering exists in the world, and Christianity has evolved to exploit that by offering comfort and eternal salvation to palliate humanity. Of course, some realize that their is no basis in reality for this comfort, and conclude that Christianity is merely a human construction.
What are you talking about? Of course the Bible wasnāt written all at once. Itās record of humanityās relationship with God and takes on many different writing forms. That in no way lessens the possibility that it may be TRUE! The fact that āChristian beliefs can be found in other religions and vice versaā is evidence for, not against those beliefs. The truth of God is present to greater or lesser degrees throughout the entire world in all periods of human history. God of necessity would be infinite, omniscient and āsuperbly adapted to compete against lesser godsā, because the ālesser godsā arenāt the true God, only interpretations of him (or malevolent forces masquerading as āgodsā), and God is, after all, the Creator of All. He is of course superior to everything else. Kittens chase paper and dogs chase their tails for entertainment/development of hunting skills. How is God a hunting skill? That was a horrible example. What evidence do you have that our first awareness is ourselves in a dark void (the womb)? And even if this is so, it makes more sense that God would create us and our world in such a way that it reflects His creation of the world, rather than us making up a religion that reflected pre-birth memories. Feeding a crying child is a āsacrificial offeringā? Youāre certainly creative. What would you call it if the child was crying because he needed a new nappie? As far as the idea of God coming from āpeople of the past were at the completely mercy (sic)ā of nature⦠been to New Orleans lately? We still are!I think that there were and are many causes of the origin of God and sustained belief.
Iāll run through ones Iāve thought about.
People of the past were at the completely mercy of the natural environment and tried to understand its complex workings via conscious agents. We could make tools to make pyramids, so it must be something greater than us that builds mountains.
- Misinterpretation of natural phenomena.
My own speculation is that God is a projection of our selves, based on our early lost memories and that an infant confuses discovery with invention or creation.
- Psychological/vestigal memory origins.
The first awareness is the self and that there is a dark void (womb). He comes into the world as the only being he knows, then discovers light (and sees that it is good), other things in its first environment, his parents (i.e. Adam and Eve), who at first provide what the child demands. All this discovery is conflated in the childās mind with creation and the child takes credit for all existence. The child cries and the parents feed him (sacrificial offering). The child does not understand the meaing of crying, only that it wills a meal and it is provided. Later the parents upstage and betray him by showing superior knowledge (fruit from the Tree of Knowledge) and going against the childās wishes by imposing limits. (Which may explain the terrible twos.)
When we hear of the Abrahamic God, it rings true because it resembles those early vague memories.
All animals must interact with their environment, but the most important interactions are with other creatures. They must deal with mates, predators and prey to survive. Yet those instincts are not exact and are flexible enough to allow for inanimate objects to be confused with animals. Examples are a kitten chasing crunched up paper or a dog chasing its tail. Humans may also do the same when in a very bad mood and we stub our toe on a chair and kick it over angrily as if the chair had conspired against us. We tend to anthropomorphize because we are social beings and we look at the world through a social lens. That lens influences us to look for personal beings as causes of important events that have no other ready explanation.
- A byproduct of social/interactive instincts.
4 Gradual evolution of religious ideas.
All the elements of modern religions have primitive roots. The Bible wasnāt written all at once but is a compilation of writings over centuries.
Christian beliefs can be found in other religions and vice versa. God as a supreme being developed from local gods and became increasingly more powerful. An omnipotent, omniscient God is superbly adapted to compete against other lesser gods that are pathetic by comparison.
Of course all these are speculative but Iām sure the origins of belief are complex and no single explanation accounts for all the features of modern religions.
You could choose not to believe in walls as well, but youāll still hurt yourself if you walk into one. What suits you really isnāt at all relevent.I donāt speak for other atheists, but I believe there is no God because it suits me personally. I can assert that I have no strong desire to believe in God and that is probably why Iām an atheist. The rational reasons came later.
I thought you just said you were going with what suits you? If objective reality matters to you then why do you deny something that is entirely possible? And since when did consensus define truth? Thatās not very rational or logicalBut the pure truth of it is going to depend on objective reality, not world opinion and there are enough atheists in the world to say that the existence of God is controversial.
You may not have an interest, but without a First Cause, youād be homeless. Not to mention non-existent.I have no interest in believing in God but it is important to seek the truth through discussion, wherever it may lead.
I totally disagree (hey, you predicted that! Thatās coolIn my opinion, and I know there are those who still disagree, belief in God in modern times cannot be entirely intellectual, meaning it cannot except through intellectual igorance be based upon scientific and rational argument. .
Originally Posted by GoldenArrow View Post
I think youāre lying to yourself.We are different people so your post makes no sense to me.I used to be an Atheist. I strutted around, telling myself, āI donāt need God. I have no need of Him. Why should I believe in a fairy tale, etc ā¦ā I told this to others too.
Iām an atheist because I donāt want to be a theist. I canāt be more honest than that
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I was just throwing out some speculation which had to do with the topic of this thread, and that is how atheists think God was invented. Nothing of what I said was meant to offer any proof that God is an invention, just how one atheist speculates about the very complex and mysterious origins of ancient religions.All of your arguments for how religion came about may have some relevence in the development of cultures and or understanding of God, but none do anything to deny Godās existence. Anyhow, my question wasnāt āhow do you think religion came about?ā, but rather āhow do you think WE (and the universe around us) came about without a Creator?ā Nothing happens without a cause.
Well, I did go through a period 25 years ago when I had severe anxiety attacks. The problem gradually lessened over time." Liar, liar, pants on fire! "
Seriously though ā you donāt have nightmares about dying and facing nothingness? I used to regularly, for YEARS, have terrible nightmares where Iād wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning. Iād wake up in a cold sweat. Heart pounding. All in utter terror of dying!
Yeah, weāre different people, but weāre of the same nature. I think that any Atheist, if heās truly and sincerly honest with his heart, fears death more than anything.
But ⦠maybe youāre made of tougher stuff than me.
God Bless!
When I was a Christian, I would sit up at night worrying about Hell. Religion did have its psychological benefits, and there are depressing aspects to being a non-believer (for me anyway) but the fear of what comes after life isnāt amoung them. I do fear the transistion to oblivion, but I donāt think that has ever kept me up at night." Liar, liar, pants on fire! "
Seriously though ā you donāt have nightmares about dying and facing nothingness? I used to regularly, for YEARS, have terrible nightmares where Iād wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning. Iād wake up in a cold sweat. Heart pounding. All in utter terror of dying!
Yeah, weāre different people, but weāre of the same nature. I think that any Atheist, if heās truly and sincerly honest with his heart, fears death more than anything.
But ⦠maybe youāre made of tougher stuff than me.
God Bless!
Oh, I really enjoyed your post! I remember learning about the krebs cycle and this semester delving into how genetics affects diagnostic medicine. These experiences just blow me away. The intricate, complicated workings of the human body are beyond our comprehension. Heck, I see passages in my textbooks that essentially say, āWe know this works like A, but we donāt know what A is or why or how it works.āI used to be a hardcore Atheist. The real deal. After death was nothingness.
One day in my Biochemistry class, our teacher was droning on about the Calvin Cycle (the process by which glucose is processed in plants) and the Krebās Cycle (the process by which glucose is processed in animals).
One moment, I was sitting bored to tears.
The next moment, a light came on!
I was looking at a BLUEPRINT!
And in fact, at that moment, it occurred to me that the Genetic Code is just that ⦠a code! And itās the least common denominator, existing in all living things.
So how can āsurvival of the fittestā a theory based on chance explain that? It canāt. In fact, when I was in college, many of my classmates and the teachers were questioning the whole Darwinian system.
OKAY, Atheists ⦠if there is a DNA CODE ⦠that exists for all living things and if the Calvin Cycle in plants and the Krebās Cycle in Animals are essentially the same chemistry, then WHO wrote the CODE and WHO wrote the BLUEPRINTS?
Science led me me back to God because a HIGHER POWER must exist. A HIGHER POWER must be responsible for the design of Creation.
I
Yes, God has āalwaysā existed. He is outside of time. And He created everything that is, has been, or will be. He is the one constant in an existence of constant change.Sorry, I misunderstood your questionā¦
But to answer your actual question, whatever you believe about the origin of the universe, you have to accept a brute fact. Theists accept that God always existed and caused the universe.
I donāt deny the possibility of other universes, but whether there are or not, all were made by God. Anyway, obviously something had to exist before the āBig Bangā (unless you assume that God began His creation of the universe there), because something canāt come from nothing (unless God puts it there). I have heard the theory that there was probably a universe before, and when it reached itās limits it collapsed in on itself and formed the matter that eventually became unstable enough to cause our āBig Bangā, and that the whole history of the universe(es) was a series of bloomings and unbloomings. This used to sound good to me, and projected forward out into time it still does on a non-scriptural, conjectural level. The problem is, when you try to used that theory for the origin of things, you get an infinite regress, which is absolutley unscientific and illogical. We know that matter doesnāt (scientifically speaking) come into being from nothing, and that, scientifically or theologically speaking, events must have causes.Atheists may believe that the universe always existed in some form, that something may have existed before the Big Bang that is able to produce universes. Itās my opinion that our universe is one of many.
This universe exists and whatever thing or set of circumstances (or āwhoeverā if you wish) produced it or something like it is probably capable of producing more universes. At least I canāt see why not. There are countless grains of sand, mountains planets, stars and up the scale to billions of galaxies. Why not universes?
But we both must accept the brute fact of something or someone always existing. The alternatives are that either God popped out of nothingness, or the first bits of primitive matter and energy popped out of nothingness.
Except for your statement on āwell-supported biological evolutionā (do you mean that a species adapts to itās surroundings and āevolvesā over generations as the weaker members die off and the stonger/faster/smarter reproduce,From there is 1st generation stars producing the first heavy elements which lead to planetary systems, abiogenesis as a product of chemical evolution (I realize the naturalistās case is speculative here.) and then on to well-supported biological evolution.