Atheists and homosexuals going to heaven

• Thread starter Thread starter Shikomu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shikomu

With Pope Francis decreeing that atheists and homosexuals can go to heaven, I have a small question: is it at all possible for a future Pope to overturn that decision?

Only when he speaks ex-cathedra.

Anyway, homosexuality is not a sin. As long as any of us of any sexuality practices chastity according to our state in life, stays in friendship with God, heaven is for us.

Atheists very well could go to heaven, if that atheist never rejected God he has invincible ignorance.

God wants you and I to focus on getting our own selves to heaven.

A new pope wouldn’t need to, I haven’t seen the original quote but according to your context it is certainly possible that both can go to heaven.

it doesn’t say anything about invincible ignorance or “practicing homosexuals.” There is nothing wrong with being a homosexual, but acting on it is a different argument from a Catholic perspective. As for the Atheist we don’t know where they are coming from. Whether you like Francis or not he is careful about his wording, though some interpret it to mean what it doesn’t specifically say.

To be clear, the change on stance in regard to the death penalty “came from the chair” as it is now in the Catechism?

Only if he declares it an infallible teaching. There are certain conditions that must be met for it to become infallible.

As for his statement, God gives each person sufficient grace to go to heaven. Each person’s situation is different and if there is a lack of knowledge or consent of some sins it is very possible for an atheist or active homosexual to go to heaven. However, I would imagine that amount is slim. Luckily we know the path to salvation so we should be less concerned about appeasing liberals (looking at you Pope Francis) and more concerned about catechizing and promoting the truth.

With Pope Francis decreeing that atheists and homosexuals can go to heaven, I have a small question: is it at all possible for a future Pope to overturn that decision?
  1. The Pope doesn’t “decree” who gets into Heaven
  2. Having same-sex attraction isn’t even a sin.

To be clear when I say homosexuals, I mean those who act on their sexuality. If those people are not who Pope Francis was referring to, please specify.

Again, it depends on the knowledge of the person. It is possible that a person can be sexually active outside of a valid marriage and have invincible ignorance. That is always between that person and God.

To be clear, the change on stance in regard to the death penalty “came from the chair” as it is now in the Catechism?
If you believe it came from the chair, you’ll be readily able to reference the expression of that change and we’ll be able to see that it used the appropriate wording that signifies an ex-cathedra statement. Of course, there was no ex-cathedra statement…

I wonder what you think the revised treatment of CP means?

I think that it’s Pope Francis blatantly going against the Bible, but that’s just me.

To be clear when I say homosexuals, I mean those who act on their sexuality. If those people are not who Pope Francis was referring to, please specify.
You need to give your source so we can see exactly what he said.

I think that it’s Pope Francis blatantly going against the Bible, but that’s just me.
That supports my sense that you misunderstand the CP position. In summary, I’d paraphrase the catechism on that issue as follows: “In this day and age, it’s unthinkable that civil authority should resort to CP. Don’t do it.”

What has not been done is to declare CP intrinsically evil.

Last edited:
Not everything. In fact, he is infallible only in very special and certain occasions.

@Shikomu The journalists are not dialoguing here. You need to write something not just post their work.

Last edited:
He has said that there is the possibility of salvation, not a guarantee. This is in accord with the Catechism.

To be clear when I say homosexuals, I mean those who act on their sexuality.
Oh, you mean people who sin. You want to know if people who sin go to heaven. Like people who cheat or steal. Or use contraception. Or lie. Or have sex outside marriage. Or…well, there are so many sins, aren’t there. I needen’t list them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back