Atlas Shrugged response

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catholicwoman11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catholicwoman11

Guest
I have been looking for a good Catholic response to the Atlas Shrugged and Ayn Rand philosophy. I know that this book lead me astray when I was younger and I would like to have something on hand if I see that someone I know is reading it. I am looking for something that goes into detail about the differences in the Gospel and objectivism (Ayn Rand’s name of her philosophy).
 
I have been looking for a good Catholic response to the Atlas Shrugged and Ayn Rand philosophy. I know that this book lead me astray when I was younger and I would like to have something on hand if I see that someone I know is reading it. I am looking for something that goes into detail about the differences in the Gospel and objectivism (Ayn Rand’s name of her philosophy).
I can’t remember if the book touches on it as such, but the movie certainly doesn’t deal with metaphysics, so I don’t see why there would be a Catholic response to it.
 
I can’t remember if the book touches on it as such, but the movie certainly doesn’t deal with metaphysics, so I don’t see why there would be a Catholic response to it.
The book is very long and does indeed delve into AR’s philosophy. A lot of it is spelled out in detail in Galt’s speech at the end.

I haven’t seen the picture. It did not play in my town. But I’m not surprised that Part I did not delve into the philosophy.

I’ll repost if I find any Catholic links about the philosophy. It is toxic from a Catholic perspective and, worst of all, it is deceptive to those of faith who are led to embrace it.

ICXC NIKA
 
Kevin Vost deals with Ayn Rand in his book, “From Atheism to Catholicism.” If I’m not mistaken, he devotes an entire chapter to her. Other notable atheistic voices are also tackled, from Dawkins to Russell, and as the book progresses, he shows how first agnostic, then Stoic, and finally Catholic thinkers, primarily Aquinas, address and resolve the problems posed by atheism. It’s well worth reading for anyone, but especially for cases such as yours.
 
The “Reverend Know it All” had a scathing commentary on Rand some months back. Do a web search of the quote above and look through his 2011 rants, err, sermons and you shold find it. His stuff is awesome!
 
There is no question that Ayn Rand was an excellent writer, although I did find her books strident in pushing your philosophy. My granddaughter was required to read one of Ayn Rand’s books for one of her high school classes. She laughed at the philosophy of selfishness using the oft quoted “we stand on the shoulders of giants.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top