Attaining Peace in Turmoil..........de Caussade

• Thread starter Thread starter BarbaraTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BarbaraTherese

The Chapter on Peace in Turmoil is taken from de Caussad’s “Abandonment to Divine Providence”. Below are extracts only from the entire text, found on the link…

Peace in Turmoil (de Caussade)

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/decaussade/abandonment.all.html#iv.i.iii
"Profound peace can be enjoyed in this abandonment even amidst the bustle of business matters"
"…and look to Him for success. I wait for this success with confidence, but also in peace; and whatever takes place I accept, not for the satisfaction of my impatient desires, but keeping pace with divine Providence, who rules and arranges all for our greater good, although generally we do not understand any of His ways. And how can we dare to judge Him, poor ignorant creatures as we are, and blind as the moles that burrow underground.

Let us accept all from the hand of our good Father and He will keep us in peace in the midst of the greatest disasters of this world, which pass away like shadows. In proportion to our abandonment and confidence in God will our lives be holy and tranquil. Also where this abandonment is neglected there can be no virtue, nor any perfect rest.

You were wrong in being surprised that I was not so at the views and plans of N., for, besides that nothing surprises me in this life, you ought to know my ways of always looking at the best side of things, and setting everything in a favourable light 111as St. Francis of Sales advises. This fortunate habit protects…"

40.png
katy:
I just bought the book, and am looking forward to reading it.
Hi Katy…I thought about buying the book, but decided to buy a binder for the work and copy a few pages now and then from the online copy and put them into a binder until I had the complete work.

I did read “Abandonment to Divine Providence” many years ago and this would be my second read. It is worth indeed having on hand to refer to whenever and however one decides to obtain a copy…or I think so. I hope you will equally enjoy reading it, find it helpful and enlightening, and having it on hand as a reference in book form.

Regards from Sth. Aust. Katy - Barb:)

Dear Barb

I don’t have the book, have never read the book and never will read the book. I read only one book by choice, Sacred Scripture and The only path to peace in all situations is to pray, period. Simply, all other things stem from prayer ie. making a good confession, knowing how to act or deal with problems, etc etc…prayer is the answer because Jesus we commune with is the Prince of Peace and His Mother we petition, the Queen of Peace.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Hi Barb,

Great book. I read it several years ago. I lost my copy, but a few months ago I bought it again. I look forward to reading it once again.

I also have the book, John, and it is excellent! I would mention though, that it is a road of complete abandonment and trust in Divine Providence that not everyone may feel inspired to follow, especially those in the active life. But there are wonderful guiding principles that the reader will find helpful.

After typing this, I had to marvel that God’s Providence has always led me to purchase these most excellent works, which are truly inspired by holy individuals. I notice that many of you on the forum who have deep spiritual devotion are also buying and reading the same material. :clapping: Confirmation!

Carole

quote: Joysong
I notice that many of you on the forum who have deep spiritual devotion are also buying and reading the same material.
My thanks to BarbaraTherese, for calling people’s
attention to this work, and the value of same.

I’m additonally glad that you, too, found the work of
interest, Joysong, as did I, 40 years ago.

reen12

quote: BarbaraTherese
I did read “Abandonment to Divine Providence” many years ago and this would be my second read.
I haven’t looked at that work for a while*…quite* a while ! :yup:
so I appreciate you providing the link, so that I can re-visit
same.

Best, :tiphat:

reen12

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear Barb

I don’t have the book, have never read the book and never will read the book. I read only one book by choice, Sacred Scripture and The only path to peace in all situations is to pray, period. Simply, all other things stem from prayer ie. making a good confession, knowing how to act or deal with problems, etc etc…prayer is the answer because Jesus we commune with is the Prince of Peace and His Mother we petition, the Queen of Peace.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa
Hi Teresa…I agree completely with your above comments. Undoubtedly it is a sure and safe road amongst roads and other roads can include the reading of the spiritual classics or other works as an aid to personal spirituality. Nor would I ever mean to imply that the reading of spiritual works should take the place of The Sacraments, Scripture and Personal Prayer and prime, but can be a helpful secondary addition to them in that at times such works clarify a spiritual matter that may have been oscure initially…while doubtless The Lord does not need such spiritual works to clarify matters for one, but nevertheless does act at times through them.

Thank you for the post Teresa and a timely pointing out to what is prime and essential in any spiritual life. Spritual works are not an essential, but a secondary matter that can have value but not I should imagine if one’s personal taste perhaps precludes them. I think it was St. Therese of Lisieux who commented that spiritual works gave her a headache and she had no taste for them, but this was a purely personal comment on her own personal disposition, hence entirely valid. De Caussade’s writings on Abandonment to God’s Will does explain with some clarity certain often obscure and even misunderstood matters on the subject of God’s Will and Abandonment to it - or thus I find while not at all upholding it* MUST* be read. But I would uphold that The Sacraments, Scriputre and Personal Prayer are a *MUST *in any spiritual life and as you have pointed out.

St. Teresa of Avila in the main wrote for her nuns to inspire and encourage them on the spiritual way, hence this is an implication that she did think spiritual works (her own anyway) could have some value for others. St. Teresa herself did read some anyway spirutal classics of her own day. The Church certainly does recommend many spiritual works for the edification of and assistance to the faithful. St Teresa’s and St Therese’s writings are amongst such documents. De Caussade’s work on Abandonment does bear an Imprimatur which is some recommendation anyway in that it is free from doctrinal error.

My own personal taste for the reading of spiritual works etc. does tend to wax and wane at times and I go with the flow of that personal taste. My adhesion to The Sacraments, Scriputre and Personal Prayer remain a constant, and thus they should.

Nevertheless, the reading of such works does remain according to one’s personal preference and taste and quite secondary in the scheme of things tho entirely valid if one chooses to read them. They are not ends in themselves, but only potential means to an end and that is to grow in Love of God and of one’s neighbour in peace and joy.

Regards to you Teresa, and thank you for the timely Post on what is most important of all…Barb:)

40.png
reen12:
quote: Joysong

My thanks to BarbaraTherese, for calling people’s
attention to this work, and the value of same.

I’m additonally glad that you, too, found the work of
interest, Joysong, as did I, 40 years ago.

reen12
Thank you for the comments Reen and Joysong. Being restricted in finances and since discovering the internet only this year (I did not have internet connected prior) I have found online texts of immense value in that I cut and print into Word roughly ten pages or so a day and then print them and put them into a binder which does mean that at the end of each work, I have a full copy of the work in book form at minimal cost. This also means that every page is plastic covered in the binder for long wear.

This means of obtaining a work may be helpful to others too.

Happy New Year all…here in South Australia on a very hot 95degrees with today and 108degrees yesterday and with our state on full fire alert (bushfires threatened) it is Saturday, 31.12.05 at 11.05am.

Regards and peace and joy in 2006!..Barb:wave:

If anyone would like to open for discussion some point or points from de Caussade’s work on Abandonment to God’s Will/Divine Providence…they may like to post the link and part anyway of a statement from the work and it could be discussed in this thread.

Regards - Barb:love:

Barb,

Quite amazing timing, as you will notice if you browse John Russell’s thread on Spiritual Reading. I was quite struck by these words and thought it was well to share, as you suggested above.
Spiritual reading engaged in as the result of divine action frequently has a meaning that never occurred to the author of the book. God makes use of the words and writings of others to convey hidden truth. If it is his will to enlighten us by these means, self-abandoned souls should make use of the opportunity, and any means resulting from divine action has an efficacy always transcending its natural power.
It is characteristic of the state of self-abandonment that, while the soul always leads a mysterious life, it should receive extraordinary and miraculous gifts of God through contact with natural, fortuitous events where nothing is apparent but what is in the normal order of the world and the natural elements.
Thus the simplest sermons, the most ordinary conversations and the least remarkable books become for such souls by virtue of the divine design, sources of intelligence and wisdom. (Chapter 4, Sect. 4)
Christmas blessings of joy and peace to you,
Carole

40.png
Joysong:
Barb,

Quite amazing timing, as you will notice if you browse John Russell’s thread on Spiritual Reading. I was quite struck by these words and thought it was well to share, as you suggested above.

Christmas blessings of joy and peace to you,
Carole
Thanks Carole…I could not agree more with your Post and Spiritual Reading is intrinsic to my own spirituality. Often too I have been reading a light novel with no religious content intended in any way by the author, nevertheless something written in the work has caused me to stop and ponder. The Holy Spirit is not at all bigoted huh?..often He will use something completely surprising to enlighten and teach.
Nevertheless The Mass, Sacraments, Scripture and Prayer remain as I know you would agree the ‘sin que non’ (without equal) on the spiritual road and prime.
I can nevertheless and despite my own incorporating of spiritual reading into my own spirituality,insight Teresa’s comments re spiritual reading in that I can pass through periods when I simply cannot read spiritual works and most especially the classics for some reason, nor distress myself during these times nor search about for reasons…nor labour to force myself to read them. Despite these periods, I would as a recommendation anyway be inclined towards times to set aside for some sort of spiritual reading.

Joyous New Year to you Carole and to all…I trust Christmas too was joyous:) . It is now 2.1.06 here at l.03pm.

Regards - Barb
Thanks for pointing out the thread by John Russell on spiritual reading…I’ll zip over and have a read.🙂

At times and perhaps often interior turmoil comes about because of temptations and other trials and difficulties in life. De Caussade has a very informative and indeed encouraging Chapter in his Spiritual Counsels on these points:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/decaussade/abandonment.iii_1.v.html?bcb=0

In the quote box below I am only quoting a small portion of the enitre Chapter found on the above link:
V.—Temptations and Trials.

On temptations and interior trials. Addressed to Sister Anne Marie-Thérèse de Rosen, confidante of the inmost thoughts of Madame de Lesen, through whom the latter communicated with Fr. de Caussade.
3rd Principle. During the darkness of these violent temptations the soul, fatigued and troubled as it must needs be, will commit many minor faults through weakness or negligence, surprise or thoughtlessness; but I maintain that in spite of these faults it merits more and is more pleasing to God and is truly better fitted for the reception of the Sacraments than ordinary persons, who, favoured with sensible devotion, have hardly any struggles to endure, nor any violence to do to themselves. The virtues of the former are much more solid having passed, and still passing through such severe trials.
4th Principle. Whatever sins people who are tempted may have committed in the past, if for some years they have been firm and have given no voluntary consent, they will make the more progress in the ways of God the more humble they are rendered by these temptations, because humility is the foundation of all good.
5th Principle. Most people, not much advanced in the ways of God and of the interior life, set no value on any operations but those that are sweet and evident to the senses. It is certain, however, that those operations that are most humiliating, afflicting, and crucifying, are most calculated to purify the soul and to unite it intimately with God. Also, all masters in the spiritual life are agreed in recognising that more progress is made in patient endurance than in action.

40.png
reen12:

I haven’t looked at that work for a while*…quite* a while ! :yup:
so I appreciate you providing the link, so that I can re-visit
same.

Best, :tiphat:

reen12
Howdy there Reen:wave: … it is quite a while since I have read it too - many years indeed! I was looking for something or other and searching the classics, found it in JPdC’s “Abandonment to Divine Providence” which re established my interest in his writings. My problem remains however, that when I invest myself in any book at all but especially spiritual works I have to watch that I am not continually sprouting and quoting and proclaiming from the
work as if it was Scripture itself! smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_144_2.gif

I have to watch I do not ram the work most involuntarily down the throats of others with an absolute insistence that they read the work and most usually do…just to get some peace!!!:o

In short, Reen me pal and buddy…I would appreciate a PM if I start to become a spiritual pain in the b**t!

Regards Reeny from Sth. Aussie on a beautiful balmy summer night at 12.04am! About to put the computer to beddy byes!..and me too…

Barb smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_34.gif

Hi, Barb,

My problem remains however, that when I invest myself in any book at all but especially spiritual works I have to watch that I am not continually sprouting and quoting and proclaiming from the work as if it was Scripture itself!
I oft recall that the word “enthusiam” means, literally,
“en theos” = " in God." 🙂

I’m delving into a work on Dietrich Bonhoffer…expect
me to be referencing same - continually! - over the
next few weeks. :bounce: -----> me, being ethusiatic 😃

Best,

reen

40.png
reen12:
Hi, Barb,

I oft recall that the word “enthusiam” means, literally,
“en theos” = " in God." 🙂

I’m delving into a work on Dietrich Bonhoffer…expect
me to be referencing same - continually! - over the
next few weeks. :bounce: -----> me, being ethusiatic 😃

Best,

reen
Hi Reen…thanks for the break up of enthusiasm - a newie on me!:bounce:

Dietrich Bonhoffer…wow!..and Reen are you a fellow:

**Outa my way everyone…I know what it’s all about **
and you better listen to me!smileys.smileycentral.com/cus/e_1_52.gif

:rotfl: Barb

…and Reen are you a fellow:
Outa my way everyone…I know what it’s all about
and you better listen to me!
I didn’t realize it was so obvious! :rotfl:

reen12 :tiphat:

40.png
reen12:

I didn’t realize it was so obvious! :rotfl:

reen12 :tiphat:
The interesting fact about recognizing faults etc. in others…is that the only way we can have knowledge that anything is indeed a fault is because we first sighted it in ourselves. Else we could not know.
It is not at all obvious in you Reen…its just that I recognize a tendancy in myself at times and often from the inspiration of another or some spiritual work to think I have the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth…hence all give way please because here comes the bearer of truth…:rotfl: moi!

Regards Reeny - Barb:tiphat:

…hence all give way please because here comes the bearer of truth…:rotfl: moi!
That is* very* funny!

A friend once said to me - when we were in school -
“You seem to think that you will find one book that
will explain all…and it’s usually the one you’re currently
reading…”

I’ve never forgotten her insight. :yup:

reen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back