Attempt At A Mutually Respectful Abortion Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter EmmaSowl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, that is a fundamental, biological distinction. Now, provide one that is relevant to the discussion, which allows for biologically distinguishing a child just before birth from one just after birth.
The actual “working” of the organism is different before and after the birth. The first breath “marks” the independent existence.

The actual “working” of the organism is different before and after the birth. The first breath “marks” the independent existence.
Okay, so a raven with broken wings isn’t a raven. It’s a new kind of bird because it can’t fly.

I thought we’d transcended the description of species by characteristics long ago with DNA analysis?

“So you believe that the vaginal plane magically confers personhood?”

-Ben Shapiro

Okay, so a raven with broken wings isn’t a raven. It’s a new kind of bird because it can’t fly.

I thought we’d transcended the description of species by characteristics long ago with DNA analysis?
Nope, is just an injured animal. And DNA is not precise. There is no precise human DNA, only a huge realm of molecular structures, we CALL human DNA. What about the mutants?

“Mutants,” if they’re grouped as members of homo sapiens are people. Simple. If not, that’s a new discussion beyond the scope of this one.

I draw an absolute line because I realize that I have no right to draw lines between some humans and others. Every member of our species is a person. Period.

Last edited:
No need to pursue this line, as he’s already said those in vegitative states aren’t people:
Persistent, irreversible vegetative state. Poor Terry Schiavo comes to mind.
“Mutants,” if they’re grouped as members of homo sapiens are people.
Biologically the idea of “species” is an arbitrary nomenclature.
Every member of our species is a person. Period.
Nope. Someone whose EEG shows no brain activity does not qualify to be considered a “person”.

The difference is enormous when it comes to
The difference between any two things is enormous when you focus on one particular aspect of the two things (“when it comes to…”)

If two things are 95% the same but 5% different, your argument is they’re fundamentally different “when it comes to” the 5%.

Again, per this argument, both a fetus and child are “fundamentally different” than mother and hence there is no moral distinction

Persistent, irreversible vegetative state. Poor Terry Schiavo comes to mind.
So if somebody threw him in a woodchipper, that’d be okay with you?
Nope. Someone whose EEG shows no brain activity does not qualify to be considered a “person”.
Forgive me for not accepting your definitions. I don’t see how brain activity determines personhood at all. You have yet to prove it’s not arbitrary.

Last edited:
Simple differences are irrelevant; no one suggested you couldn’t find things that distinguish one individual from another. You asserted the existence of fundamental, biological differences. That’s what I’m waiting for you to provide. Breathing and not breathing does not qualify as such a distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back