Attending Mass as is an obligation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter descout
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

descout

Guest
I have recently been asked how the Church can require us to attend Mass at the very least on Sunday. Then to go on and say if we do not attend we will have mortal sin on our soul. Where is these teachings backed in scripture? I am not sure if this is dealing with the commandment to keep the Sabbath Holy or if I am on the wrong track here. I had brought it up with the question asker and they claimed that to keep it Holy you dont have to go to Church. There are other ways you can keep it Holy, such as family prayer, etc.
 
your source should be questioning God, who made the commandment to honor the Lords’ Day, and established the form of worship required of Christians at the Last Supper. The Church teaches it because God commands it that we worship him in the manner he has decreed. All those other things are fine to do with your family but Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday completing the sacrifice foretold at the Last Supper on Holy Thursday and carried out on Good Friday. It is he who told us just before he went to his death that if we love him we will keep his commandments. Ask your source to find in his bible where Jesus said, “Do this in memory of me” about walking on the beach and enjoying nature, spending quality time with your family, cutting the grass or watching football.
 
From Canon Law
Can. 1246 §1. Sunday, on which by apostolic tradition the paschal mystery is celebrated, must be observed in the universal Church as the primordial holy day of obligation. The following days must also be observed: the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Epiphany, the Ascension, the Body and Blood of Christ, Holy Mary the Mother of God, her Immaculate Conception, her Assumption, Saint Joseph, Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles, and All Saints.

§2. With the prior approval of the Apostolic See, however, the conference of bishops can suppress some of the holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday.

Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.

Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and aVairs (affairs?) which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.

From the CCC
1341 The command of Jesus to repeat his actions and words “until he comes” does not only ask us to remember Jesus and what he did. It is directed at the liturgical celebration, by the apostles and their successors, of the memorial of Christ, of his life, of his death, of his Resurrection, and of his intercession in the presence of the Father.167

1342 From the beginning the Church has been faithful to the Lord’s command. Of the Church of Jerusalem it is written:
They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. . . . Day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts.168

1343 It was above all on “the first day of the week,” Sunday, the day of Jesus’ resurrection, that the Christians met "to break bread."169 From that time on down to our own day the celebration of the Eucharist has been continued so that today we encounter it everywhere in the Church with the same fundamental structure. It remains the center of the Church’s life.

1344 Thus from celebration to celebration, as they proclaim the Paschal mystery of Jesus “until he comes,” the pilgrim People of God advances, "following the narrow way of the cross,"170 toward the heavenly banquet, when all the elect will be seated at the table of the kingdom.

The sections, or paragraphs, in the Catechism regarding the Eucharist extend from section 1322 to 1419, this is just a sampling.
 
I am reminded of a departed priest with a wonderful sense of humor, who was very special to me and lots of other people – and who used to say when a holyday was coming up:

“Don’t forget, this (whatever day) is a HOLYDAY OF OPPORTUNITY!”😉

Rest in Peace Fr. D:heaven:!
 
the CCC on Sunday Obligation:

The Sunday obligation

2180 The precept of the Church specifies the law of the Lord more precisely: "On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass."117 "The precept of participating in the Mass is satisfied by assistance at a Mass which is celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the holy day or on the evening of the preceding day."118

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

2182 Participation in the communal celebration of the Sunday Eucharist is a testimony of belonging and of being faithful to Christ and to his Church. The faithful give witness by this to their communion in faith and charity. Together they testify to God’s holiness and their hope of salvation. They strengthen one another under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

2183 "If because of lack of a sacred minister or for other grave cause participation in the celebration of the Eucharist is impossible, it is specially recommended that the faithful take part in the Liturgy of the Word if it is celebrated in the parish church or in another sacred place according to the prescriptions of the diocesan bishop, or engage in prayer for an appropriate amount of time personally or in a family or, as occasion offers, in groups of families."120
 
the CCC on Sunday Obligation:

The Sunday obligation

2180 The precept of the Church specifies the law of the Lord more precisely: "On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass."117 "The precept of participating in the Mass is satisfied by assistance at a Mass which is celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the holy day or on the evening of the preceding day."118

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

2182 Participation in the communal celebration of the Sunday Eucharist is a testimony of belonging and of being faithful to Christ and to his Church. The faithful give witness by this to their communion in faith and charity. Together they testify to God’s holiness and their hope of salvation. They strengthen one another under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

2183 "If because of lack of a sacred minister or for other grave cause participation in the celebration of the Eucharist is impossible, it is specially recommended that the faithful take part in the Liturgy of the Word if it is celebrated in the parish church or in another sacred place according to the prescriptions of the diocesan bishop, or engage in prayer for an appropriate amount of time personally or in a family or, as occasion offers, in groups of families."120
I have read the parts quoted above and understand that the Church teaches this. I am looking for the Scripture that is backing this.

I think that puzzleannie was on the right track. Is the quote “Do this in remembrance of Me” the Scripture backing that the Eucharist is the way that Christians should worship? I guess I see that as describing the Body Blood Sould and Divinity that is in the bread but am a little confused how it lays the foundation of worshiping him this way.
 
I have recently been asked how the Church can require us to attend Mass at the very least on Sunday. Then to go on and say if we do not attend we will have mortal sin on our soul.
The phrasing of this question shows either bias or ignorance. Like the last two posters said, the Church does not require it, God does.

Plus, the Church never says a sin is necessarily mortal. The closest we get is saying that violations of any of the Ten Commandments (which we have in this case) constitute a sin of grave matter. For it to be a mortal sin, the sin must be of grave matter. But, in addition, the sinner must have full knowledge of the gravity and full consent of the will in commiting the sin.

This raises another intersting point, or at least I find it interesting: If a person cares about whether or not they are commiting mortal sin, and believes the Church’s teaching on the nature of mortal sins has any real value, then why would they be so upset at the Church’s teaching on keeping the sabbath holy?

Also, we are not physically forced attend. Membership in Christ’s Body is voluntary, of course all should join though. We Catholics believe as the Church teaches. Only those of us who know that the Church is right have the possibility of sinning mortally, because we are the only onew who know fully of the truth of this interpretation of the commandment.
Where is these teachings backed in scripture?
You could always ask the person asking you why it *must *be backed in scripture. As in, “Which verse says that only sacred scripture canonized by both first-century Jews and fourth-century Christians indicates that such scriptures clearly contain the answers to all of your questions about God and no other sources are to be trusted?”

You could top this off with opening up your Bible to John 20:30-31 - “Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples that are not written in this book. But these are written that you may beleive that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God , and that through this belief you may have life in his name.” And John 21:25 - “There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not thnk the whole world would contain the books that would be written.”

Maybe it’s just where my mind always goes, but I think this question belongs in the apologetics forum, not liturgy and sacraments, which I just realized is where it happens to be:).
 
I have read the parts quoted above and understand that the Church teaches this. I am looking for the Scripture that is backing this.

I think that puzzleannie was on the right track. Is the quote “Do this in remembrance of Me” the Scripture backing that the Eucharist is the way that Christians should worship? I guess I see that as describing the Body Blood Sould and Divinity that is in the bread but am a little confused how it lays the foundation of worshiping him this way.
you can look to Sacred Tradition rather than Sacred Scripture for this one. the Apostles go to the Temple/Synagogue on the Sabbath and then celebrate the Lord’s Day the following day. they did this from at least the Pentecost. the following is a passing mention in the Bible regarding the Day of our Lord

[BIBLEDRB]Acts 20:7[/BIBLEDRB]

also my priest had a very interesting homily regarding the word “remembrance”. if you get a saw or an axe and mutilate someone’s body, the term is “dismember”. to “remember” Jesus is to put His body back together, or more specifically us being united into the One Body of Christ through the Eucharist
 
I maybe should have posted in apologetics. Sorry about that. I thank you all for the responses. I do understand that it is not the Church but God requiring it, although I do believe that Jesus being the head of the Body is the Church, if Jesus is requiring it then it must be required by the Church as well. We are in agreement I just may have used the wrong terms here. I merely was asking for a Scripture backing as the person I am trying to get an answer for will only accept the Bible as the rule. I have been pointed to a few Scripture passages that will at least get them pointed in the right direction and leave them saying that “it is possible” also it will lead them to say that Sacred Tradition is possible.
 
I maybe should have posted in apologetics. Sorry about that. I thank you all for the responses. I do understand that it is not the Church but God requiring it, although I do believe that Jesus being the head of the Body is the Church, if Jesus is requiring it then it must be required by the Church as well. We are in agreement I just may have used the wrong terms here. I merely was asking for a Scripture backing as the person I am trying to get an answer for will only accept the Bible as the rule. I have been pointed to a few Scripture passages that will at least get them pointed in the right direction and leave them saying that “it is possible” also it will lead them to say that Sacred Tradition is possible.
Acts 20:7 clearly states that the Apostles gather on the first day of the week to break bread. breaking bread is the Eucharist. Mass is also quite simple back then, as there were no Bible back then, its possible that an Apostle, Deacon or Elder would preach, then they would break bread. part of the reason the Bible was canonized was so that the Church would have an offiicial list of books as Scripture that would be read in Mass
 
It’s my understand that mortal sin seperates you from God. Really by not attending Mass on Sunday are you not seperating yourself from God? It conveys to God that other things are more important then spending an hour at Mass.

Just my thoughts.
 
Or as I would like to see on a billboard…

Seven days without Mass makes one weak…:D:D
 
I maybe should have posted in apologetics. Sorry about that. I thank you all for the responses. I do understand that it is not the Church but God requiring it, although I do believe that Jesus being the head of the Body is the Church, if Jesus is requiring it then it must be required by the Church as well. We are in agreement I just may have used the wrong terms here. I merely was asking for a Scripture backing as the person I am trying to get an answer for will only accept the Bible as the rule. I have been pointed to a few Scripture passages that will at least get them pointed in the right direction and leave them saying that “it is possible” also it will lead them to say that Sacred Tradition is possible.
you might also lead him to Acts 2:42-47 that describes Christian worship, and to Paul in 1 Corinthians 10:14-22 and chapter 11:17-34 in general describing their worship, the Eucharist. bible literalists are often also very big on “returning to the practice of the apostles and the early Church” fearing the Catholics have some how corrupted that practice.
 
Luke 22:19-20 Christ institutes the first Mass and commands the apostles to do likewise. The Church has been doing this ever since.

Acts 20:7 The disciples would meet on the first day of the week (also known as the 8th day - a new creation)

Mathew 16:19 - Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in Heaven.

Then there is also the 3rd Commandment to keep holy the Sabbath - which Sunday took the place of through the power of the keys and through apostolic tradition as shown in the above texts.
 
the Apostles also had to abolish the Sabbath because of the Oath Against the Nazarene

it was establish at one point that for someone to enter a synagogue, they had to make an oath to reject Jesus. of course Christians wouldn’t do such a thing, so the stopped their Sabbath tradition and moved on with the Lord’s Day
 
This is an authority issue, and you must find Scriptures that have to do with obedience to those in authority over us.

I disagree that God is the One who wants us at Mass on Sundays. I’m sure He is pleased with that discipline, but He Himself has not asked for it. Rather, it is His Church that has asked this of believers. The Church has the right to do this because Jesus has given the Church authority here on this earth to bind and to loose.

Here is the line of authority from Ephesians 1: 22 “He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave him as head over all things to the Church, which is His body, the fulness of Him who fills all in all.”

Several times during His earthly ministry, Jesus made it clear that the Church (which hadn’t actually been established yet) would have authority on this earth. The best example is in Matthew 16, 18 & 19, when Jesus hands over the “keys” to Peter, and tells him that whatever he binds on earth will be bound in heaven, and vice versa.

Another great example is in Matthew 18: 17, when Jesus tells those involved in a conflict that the Church is the final arbitrator.

An honest reading of the epistles will convince a Christian that it is clear that there are lines of authority in the Church, and that the priests/pastors, elders, and deacons are “in charge.” The Church of Jesus Christ is not an “every man/woman/child for himself” operation. We are to submit to our authorities in the Church.

I Peter 5 begins with an exhortation to the elders in the Church, and leads up to verse 5–“You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders…”

I think it is quite clear from the New Testament that believers are to submit to the Church, of which Christ is the Head. (BTW, this is one of the things that always bothered me while I was Protestant–I saw clearly in the New Testament that we believers were supposed to obey the Church, but I couldn’t figure out how we could do this when all the churches taught different things. When I learned about the history of the Catholic Church and became convinced that this is the Church that Jesus founded, everything made sense to me.)

Therefore, when the Church tells us that we are to attend Mass every Sunday (or Saturday evening), we are to submit, because in submitting to the Church, we are submitting to Jesus Christ.

The Church can tell us to do anything, other than sin, and we must obey. If the Church tells us to fast on Fridays, we are to fast on Fridays. If the Church says we are to never play the piano in Mass, we are to haul the pianos out of the Mass. If the Church says that everyone must learn to figure skate, we all head down to the rink!

It is obvious that the Church is using Her Christ-given authority wisely, because the Church has NOT asked us to give up pianos in Mass or to all learn to figure skate!

Unfortunately, not everyone accepts the Catholic Church as the Church. So I believe that your friend is not presenting an argument about “where does it say in the Scripture that Mass is an obligation.” I believe that this is really all about whether the Catholic Church can claim authority as “the Church of Jesus Christ.”
 
Unfortunately, not everyone accepts the Catholic Church as the Church. So I believe that your friend is not presenting an argument about “where does it say in the Scripture that Mass is an obligation.” I believe that this is really all about whether the Catholic Church can claim authority as “the Church of Jesus Christ.”
You are right. They do not accept the Church as a ruling authority. I like your post and it does relate to my belief on the Church requiring this. And also relates to my understanding of Christ being the Church.

One question that I did ask this person when talking about this issue was “How come your congregation underminds or places little emphasis on the Church?” I was noticing that they would place a lot of emphasis on each and every person accepting for them selves what was preached by the preacher and seemed all authority came from that one preacher. I thought this was a fair question since they were claiming that the CC placed no emphasis on “Gods messengers” or preacher as they call them. Basically the difference I was seeing was that the CC places the emphasis on the the Church and looks to that for Truth, and their denomination looks to the one fallible man for interpretation.

I am glad to see that this is an authoritive issue and we must submit ourselves to the Church and in submitting to the Church we are submitting to Christ. With that I can definitely show Scripture backing.
 
I had brought it up with the question asker and they claimed that to keep it Holy you dont have to go to Church. There are other ways you can keep it Holy, such as family prayer, etc.
I recently read the following, attributed to Theodore Roosevelt:
I know that one can worship the Creator in a grove of trees, or by a running brook, or in a man’s own house as well as in church. But I also know, as a matter of cold fact, that the average man does not thus worship.

tee
 
If your friend wants some scripture, here’s a very apt one from St Paul:

Hebrews 10:25:

“Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”

Well, we’re certainly 2,000 years closer to ‘the Day’ than Paul was, so it’s all the more important for us in these times to meet together regularly for worship. Sunday is widely accepted by Christians as our ‘sabbath’, being the ‘Lord’s Day’, the 8th day, the day of new creation, the day when Christ rose again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top