P
patricius79
Guest
I have a friend who is pretty learned about early Church history, but is not Catholic. I don’t want to say too much about him, in order to protect his privacy. And he is a good man. He is also just. For example, he strongly acknowledges that the early Church believed in the Papacy. He is also very critical of Protestantism. He thinks that Luther and Calvin were terrible Biblical exegetes and that Calvinwas a terrible heretic. (Probably he believes that about Luther too).
However, he has a negative view of Augustine both as a man and as a Church father. He believes that Augustine was closer to Protestantism than Catholicism. he says that in the 1500s Catholic scholars did a study of Augustine called “Augustinum” (sp?), which meant to prove Augustine’s Catholicity but concluded instead that Augustine was closer to Protestantism (the Protestantism of that day, not ours).
Anyway, here’s the biggest point: he believes that Augustine denied free will and that this is what caused him to be “the father of the inquisition”. That is, he says that because Augustine denied free will, he says that Augustine approved of the theft from and murder of people who disagreed with the Church and other coercion I guess.
How do I respond to this, if at all?
However, he has a negative view of Augustine both as a man and as a Church father. He believes that Augustine was closer to Protestantism than Catholicism. he says that in the 1500s Catholic scholars did a study of Augustine called “Augustinum” (sp?), which meant to prove Augustine’s Catholicity but concluded instead that Augustine was closer to Protestantism (the Protestantism of that day, not ours).
Anyway, here’s the biggest point: he believes that Augustine denied free will and that this is what caused him to be “the father of the inquisition”. That is, he says that because Augustine denied free will, he says that Augustine approved of the theft from and murder of people who disagreed with the Church and other coercion I guess.
How do I respond to this, if at all?