S
struggling4him
Guest
I want to start off by saying I am not trying to challenge the Church, but only to better understand.
It seems to me, for a very large part, most prohibitions and requirements which are placed upon us under pain of sin can easily be found in Scripture - most within the 10 commandments. The only exception that I can really think of is holy days of obligation - if I fail to attend Mass on December 8th, I am in a state of mortal sin - but had I failed to attend Mass on December 8th back in 1700 - before the Feast was declared - I would not be. If I fail to attend Mass on March 19th in some countries, I am in a state of mortal sin - but as the US bishops have not made St. Joseph’s Day a holy day of obligation, I am free to stay home and my soul is still in a state of grace.
Does it seem strange that such things as time and place will impact whether we are in mortal sin or not?
It seems to me, for a very large part, most prohibitions and requirements which are placed upon us under pain of sin can easily be found in Scripture - most within the 10 commandments. The only exception that I can really think of is holy days of obligation - if I fail to attend Mass on December 8th, I am in a state of mortal sin - but had I failed to attend Mass on December 8th back in 1700 - before the Feast was declared - I would not be. If I fail to attend Mass on March 19th in some countries, I am in a state of mortal sin - but as the US bishops have not made St. Joseph’s Day a holy day of obligation, I am free to stay home and my soul is still in a state of grace.
Does it seem strange that such things as time and place will impact whether we are in mortal sin or not?