M
manualman
Guest
Driving to work this morning, I had an insight. I love cars, they’re amazing creations. Critics would call mine a junker, but I still love it. What’s not to love? It was cheap, is fun to drive in stick shift form, gets excellent gas mileage, easy easy to work on and parts are cheap.
But I realized today that it isn’t love, it’s Stockholm Syndrome! My car has taken me hostage. Somewhere along the line cars changed from things that freed us to be able to take longer trips and get to far away places fast to something that we MUST have and keep up as a prerequisite for daily life. Think about it: if your car breaks down (say right in your home driveway) right after work AND your son has a hocky game that night, which are you going to attend to? The car! You gotta get to work the next day…
I did some quick and rather shocking math. Adding up the miles on all the cars I’ve owned, I’ve driven 350,000 miles in my 23 years of driving. That’s 14 times around the earth at the equator! How much time did that take me!?! Let’s see… 70 mph on the freeway, but I spend a lot of time in rush hour traffic too. Lets say 45mph average: 7,778 miles. If I drove 15 hours a day, stopping only to sleep, gas up and pee, that would be 518.5 days of driving, uh oh. I’ve spent 1.4 YEARS of my waking adult life so far on my butt in the driver’s seat of my car.
No wonder I’m out of shape.
I need a job closer to home.
Instead of freeing me, my car has enslaved me. How about you all??
But I realized today that it isn’t love, it’s Stockholm Syndrome! My car has taken me hostage. Somewhere along the line cars changed from things that freed us to be able to take longer trips and get to far away places fast to something that we MUST have and keep up as a prerequisite for daily life. Think about it: if your car breaks down (say right in your home driveway) right after work AND your son has a hocky game that night, which are you going to attend to? The car! You gotta get to work the next day…
I did some quick and rather shocking math. Adding up the miles on all the cars I’ve owned, I’ve driven 350,000 miles in my 23 years of driving. That’s 14 times around the earth at the equator! How much time did that take me!?! Let’s see… 70 mph on the freeway, but I spend a lot of time in rush hour traffic too. Lets say 45mph average: 7,778 miles. If I drove 15 hours a day, stopping only to sleep, gas up and pee, that would be 518.5 days of driving, uh oh. I’ve spent 1.4 YEARS of my waking adult life so far on my butt in the driver’s seat of my car.
I need a job closer to home.