Awfully Unspeakable Dreams During Pregnancy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FullOfThought
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FullOfThought

Guest
Last night I had 2 AWFUL dreams… I mean absolutely awful. One in which I was having a sexual experience with a man who wasn’t my husband (don’t know who he was!) and the second in which a doctor stole my baby from my stomach during a checkup!!

My dreams throughout this pregnancy have been getting more and more terrifying! Is this a phase? What in the world is going on?!
 
Happened to me with all of my pregnancies. It can be unsettling, but I wouldn’t worry about it.
 
I don’t know why this happens during pregnancy, but it has always been a part of it for me. Last night I had two nightmares. First was centered on my grief finding out about incest/molestation issues in a family I know. But the second was freaky. I dreamt that I was miscarrying, in front of my 4yo son, but instead of a baby, I miscarried a lot of soft-boiled eggs (maybe because I made egg flower soup last night?).
I always get weird dreams, even dreams of a nature such as you describe, when I am pregnant. I do think the sexual ones and miscarriage ones might be triggered when the baby moves while I am sleeping. My dreaming brain manufactures a reason for the unexpected sensations.🤷
 
Nightmares can often be triggered by physical discomfort… digestive trouble, fever or even just a full bladder.

The content of the dreams may just reflect anxieties - pregnancy is a time of preparing to welcome a new life, as well as working out how this will affect the existing relationship with your husband. These anxieties may be represented in very vague, symbolic or just plain bizarre ways. I wouldn’t worry too much about them, our minds can come up with the craziest things at times. 😉

Think of it as just “part of the territory”, just like morning sickness, varicose veins, or indigestion. When you hold your child for the first time, it’ll all be worth it. 👍
 
I had nightmares during both of my pregnancies. Awful, violent, disturbing dreams. Apparently, it is completely normal and many women experience it.
 
Oh wow, Full of Thought, sounds like those hormones are having their way with you! I see that you are not quite through your first trimester. Your life is changing in a big way in bringing this new little person into your lives. That takes adjustment. Dreams are part of the way we do that work. I suspect they will subside or change character once you begin to feel the baby move. Right now it is more of and “idea”, with movement it becomes a real person in a more concrete way.

I would say try to relax about this, The process if perfectly normal. You might try some relaxing things before bedtime - prayer, warm milk, a warm bath. You could even sing lullabies to your little one, or talk to him/her as you get ready for sleep. If you still have nightmares, just put it down to normal pregnancy!

My best to you.
 
I think for some of us that goes with pregnancy. With my first I dreamed that I was sticking a fork in my baby’s soft spots. :eek:
 
Hormones!!! Your body is flooded with hormones in huge quantities. Weird dreams happen. You do dream every night, sometimes you don’t recall the dreams. With pregnancy the hormones change everything.

Don’t worry. Dreams about the safety of the baby are very common.
 
Oh those hormones are FUN aren’t they?!?

Yeah… normal. Scary and crazy and totally unexpected… but normal. :o
 
I’m also pregnant and it looks like we’re due around the same time! (I’m due March 4th!) I’ve also been having really crazy dreams. I’ve “cheated” on my husband at least 3 times in my dreams so far. I even noticed I was having weird dreams before I found I’m pregnant. This is our second and I had them with our first as well. Try to not worry about it too much. I talk about them with my husband if I feel guilty.
 
I remember having incredibly unsettling and disturbing dreams during pregnancy. My doctor told me this was normal, LOL! I’m like, no, NORMAL would be NOT having these types of dreams! 😛
 
Congratulations! We all rejoice and pray for you and your baby 🙂

I think other posts have pointed out that this is a normal thing, but perhaps it may bring you some comfort if you mention the fact that your are having disturbing nightmares to a priest and kindly ask him for a blessing.

I found a little prayer that sounds very nice and thus I post it here:
Dearest Mary, I look to you now for the help of your maternal love.

You understand my trials as an expectant mother. You bore Jesus in your womb. You know the doubts and anxieties that beset me; you know the bodily suffering I endure. Like you, may I turn all these sorrows into joy.

You overcame anxiety by a loving trust in God; you overcame doubt by gentle resignation to His will. Your motherhood lifted your mind above earth and kept it close to God.

So speak to Jesus now with me, beloved Mother, as I seek prayerfully to learn to bear the trials of motherhood with joy.

Mother of Perpetual Help, Pray for me!
*
 
Congratulations on your Growing Baby.
Do you know that the Vatican recently published a “Rite for the blessing for a Child in the Womb”
It can be carried out as part of the Mass, or outside of the Mass by either a Priest or a Deacon.
I Recommend that you ask your parish priest if he will carry out this Rite of Blessing for you and your Baby. If it is done at Mass it would normally be for all the unborn babies in the parish. You and your husband will be called up to the altar during the mass (with the other new Mums if appropriate) and the priest will bless your Baby(s), You and your Husband.
It is good that this Rite should be performed publicly - such as at a Sunday Mass - but that kind of decision belongs to your Parish Priest.

Here’s the Approved Text from the USCCB website. It is published in both English and Spanish.
It has Vatican Approval for use in all Spanish and English speaking countries. It will be translated into other languages.
usccb.org/about/pro-life-activities/prayers/pro-life-blessings.cfm

It might be worth printing out or buying a copy to have to hand just in case your priest doesn’t have it yet. (or hasnt heard of it yet.)

As an approved Rite of Blessing Blessing you have the right to request it.

On the topic of the Dreams:
Unfortunately that’s just part of being pregnant for many women. It certainly was for my wife.
Hopefully you wont have so many that are that upsetting.
 
I love the prayer RC posted.

My pregnancy dreams were likewise sexual/ violent/ bizarre/ and vivid. I would often pray for peace in my dreams and i would often get it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top