A
Angela77
Guest
Hi. I am a high school senior, and my mom and I have a great relationship, but we disagree on one major thing: religion.
I am kind of a hardcore Catholic. And my mom is…spiritual. She’s fairly closed about her beliefs; she doesn’t like discussion. She insists that spiritual matters are meant to be private. (Although I feel like she should have been more opened with me about it because it seems like that should be part of the job of raising me.)
Some background: My mom is from a Protestant background. My dad is sort of Catholic. My mom converted before they got married. They put me into religion classes (late), and I was never much into it…until I was confirmed. Since then I’ve wholeheartedly embraced Catholicism.
So I guess the reason I’m writing this is because of a disturbing conversation I had with my mom tonight. She and I are super close and get along really well, and I never feel awkward telling her anything. But tonight we got into religion and it was super awkward. She has totally different beliefs from me, and we both think we’re right. I just hate having this sort of rift in our relationship.
Here are the disturbing things my mom said, followed by what I was thinking. She said she didn’t need the structure/rituals of the Church for her relationship with God. (But the Church has everything we need!!) She also said that her spirituality is so much bigger than the Church–it’s in the way she lives and acts. (But the Church INCLUDES everything we need and GUIDES us on how to live and act.) She said that it’s not enough just to engage in religious activities like going to Mass—you gotta live it. (Which I agreed with, but said that both were important. The two go hand in hand, I think.)
I’m just concerned that my mom has sort of made up her own religion. She seems to be into some of this New Age stuff too, like if you tell the Universe you want something, it’ll give it to you. I feel like if she understood more about Catholicism (she really doesn’t know anything about it, I’ve found), she’d fall in love with it like I have. But she’s not interested at all.
What should I do?
Thanks!
I am kind of a hardcore Catholic. And my mom is…spiritual. She’s fairly closed about her beliefs; she doesn’t like discussion. She insists that spiritual matters are meant to be private. (Although I feel like she should have been more opened with me about it because it seems like that should be part of the job of raising me.)
Some background: My mom is from a Protestant background. My dad is sort of Catholic. My mom converted before they got married. They put me into religion classes (late), and I was never much into it…until I was confirmed. Since then I’ve wholeheartedly embraced Catholicism.
So I guess the reason I’m writing this is because of a disturbing conversation I had with my mom tonight. She and I are super close and get along really well, and I never feel awkward telling her anything. But tonight we got into religion and it was super awkward. She has totally different beliefs from me, and we both think we’re right. I just hate having this sort of rift in our relationship.
Here are the disturbing things my mom said, followed by what I was thinking. She said she didn’t need the structure/rituals of the Church for her relationship with God. (But the Church has everything we need!!) She also said that her spirituality is so much bigger than the Church–it’s in the way she lives and acts. (But the Church INCLUDES everything we need and GUIDES us on how to live and act.) She said that it’s not enough just to engage in religious activities like going to Mass—you gotta live it. (Which I agreed with, but said that both were important. The two go hand in hand, I think.)
I’m just concerned that my mom has sort of made up her own religion. She seems to be into some of this New Age stuff too, like if you tell the Universe you want something, it’ll give it to you. I feel like if she understood more about Catholicism (she really doesn’t know anything about it, I’ve found), she’d fall in love with it like I have. But she’s not interested at all.
What should I do?
Thanks!