My wife and I are expecting and due in a month. We hung out with some families from the church we now attend and a few of the small children (less than 2yo) knew “baby sign” language.
It really intrigued my wife and I, and we really like how it helped them communicate. I was looking for some good resources. I googled it and did an amazon search but it is hard to determine what works and what doesnt.
I am also a little concerned about plopping our child down in front of the TV to learn this stuff. It seems like a lot of the resources are DVD’s.
Thanks for your help/advice!
Heres my experience:
My daughter from the age of 8 months old, has been going to daycare where they teach the ‘babysigns’. She started walking at 8 months, and physically she matured really fast…meaning crawling, walking, etc…
She picked up the babysigns really fast. And it was easier to communicate. A little. The problems I had were, half the time I had no idea what she was trying to tell me, and the things she ‘communicated’ were simple.
Like, one sign is, the left hand making like a pinching motion with all five fingers, into the palm of the right hand. This is the sign for ‘I want drink’.
Before, if my baby was crying, the first thing I’d do is pick her up, and try to feed her. So this didnt really solve anything for me. When kids cry its cuz what- they are hungry, want to be held, tired, its pretty basic at those ages…
In other words your baby is NOT going to sign you ‘I’m crying because I have gas cramps and need to be burped.’
And when she started talking, it was weird cuz she continued to sign while she spoke, she didnt know that she no longer needed to do so. So, she’d be telling me, ‘mom, can i have something to drink please’, all the while doing this weird hand, finger thingy motion, and it looked like, to someone who wouldnt know, like a kid with terrets or something.
And she wouldnt quit. I had to constantly remind her, baby, stop playing with your hands its ok you can just TELL me…
And, she has a minor speech impedement. I cant say yet if its because of the babysigns, I just had a doctor refer us to a eye ear mouth specialist, because it could be her hearing-maybe shes not HEARing the words right, to be able to say them right, but…it could be because she relied so heavily, and focused so heavily on learning the signs instead of the language.
Just some things to think about and my experience with it.
