J
JillianRose
Guest
My 6 year old is going on 30. He is a know it all. He contantly corrects my husband and I. Has anyone else had this problem?
I think it’s great that your 6 year old is already wise enough to correct you!My 6 year old is going on 30. He is a know it all. He contantly corrects my husband and I. Has anyone else had this problem?
Definitely! I find that a good way to judge whether or not you were justified in using physical discipline against your children is by looking at their careers. Your sons became a college professor, a civil engineer and a Marine. Ergo, physical discipline had no negative impact on them!Either “tough love” now, or a monster when a teenager.
Our Jewish bretheren have the best solution for this problem. In Yiddish, transliterated into the Roman alphabet it is: “Ein Zest im toukas” which translates into “a swift whack in the behind”.
I’m not saying that you beat the child, just a whack to get his/her attention and to let them know you mean business. Reasoning does not work with 6 year olds. I know, because I raised 3 boys…and Doctor Spock was not allowed in my house!
Today, one son is a college professor, the other is a civil engineer. The oldest was in the Marine Corps, and is deceased.
Yah… Lets put it this way. He thinks he is correct. His observations are clouded… lolI think it’s great that your 6 year old is already wise enough to correct you!![]()
Wow, that can be a volatile combo!For sure. This morning I thought my husband was gonna smack him into next week!! LOL
He probably does not help that he has two very domineering personalities as parents… LOL![]()
Not really, we are adults and I step back because my husband in the head of the house hold. We can discuss things and respect that we have differences. End of the day my husband has the final say. End of Story.Wow, that can be a volatile combo!
Yes. When you let a 6 year old know that disrespectful behavior is “frowned upon in this establishment” there needs to be a memorable aspect to the announcement, such that he will not be in a hurry to repeat the experiment.I am a big fan of Dr. Ray, you control everything a 6 year old does and after you discuss it with him, clearly explaining to him so that he understands the rules in this area, start the consequences…shut him down as Dr. Ray would say…no tv, computer, friends, no bike, no wii, the list goes on.
I think you are right on with this post. He’s just trying to find somewhere he can run without boundaries. Sorry, Buddy, ain’t gonna happen…but hey, thank you for pulling this on me instead of at school!Not really, we are adults and I step back because my husband in the head of the house hold. We can discuss things and respect that we have differences. End of the day my husband has the final say. End of Story.Its really my husband that bumps heads with him. Mostly my 6 year old know I don’t play and he watches how he talks to me.
Also, my 6 year old is NOT an equal to an adult. Thankfully this ugly behavior is only at home. I am always shocked that the Teachers brag about him and say he is the peace keeper, has wonderful manners, and the other kids look up to him. He is smart. He was reading at a 2nd grade level in Kindergarten. I have been reading this is common about bright children. I am proud of him but it is NOT acceptable. Especially for a CHILD.
It gets out of hand when he doesn’t understand a situation or why it is wrong and argues until he is blue in the face. I will make sure this is only a phase. We do spank. At a certain age it stops working. At least I noticed in our house. Time to take away privileges.![]()
Thank all of you for advice. I don’t have a mother or father so your charity is greatly appreciated. xoxoxoxo Raising kids is hard.I think you are right on with this post. He’s just trying to find somewhere he can run without boundaries. Sorry, Buddy, ain’t gonna happen…but hey, thank you for pulling this on me instead of at school!
If your 6 year old was reading this, he would probably tell you that you should have said “He constantly corrects my husband and me”.My 6 year old is going on 30. He is a know it all. He contantly corrects my husband and I. Has anyone else had this problem?
I agree with this.I still am dealing with this. I think all kids to this. What I am doing is trying to teach my son how to properly and politely address what he sees as something wrong. Always ask a question and don’t boss. Always use manners, something which is better modeled than taught. Always have the respect to ask in private if you think a parent is wrong, again something that is better modeled by discipline being in private whenever possible.