Bad Luck

  • Thread starter Thread starter SharonL
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SharonL

Guest
Do any of you ever experience prolonged bad luck? In addition to marital and family stresses, I find that things keep breaking down and I am going into debt because of this. I am finding it really hard to cope. I had to replace three major appliances this year, the fourth one is on the blink, my carpet cleaner and microwave broke down this week, my sinks and toilets keep getting blocked, and the list goes on. I am weary of it and spend most of my time yelling at God, who is allowing all of this to happen.

My questions: are all of these things simply coincidences? or do I attribute it to demonic influences? Is God testing my patience, since I prayed for the gift of patience several years ago? Is life supposed to be miserable all the time???
 
I feel so bad for what you’re going through. I don’t believe in luck or coincidence. Demonic influence, I believe exists; however, I don’t know how much, if any, of this pertains to your circumstance.

There are a few things I can think of:

1.) This could be a purifying time for you. A chance to “die” to oneself. Helps us become more holy.

2.) It is a perfect opportunity to take your frustrations and anger to pray for those who experience the same hardships but don’t know God. At least, with everything you’re going through, you do have God.

In other words, your feelings are right from the heart. I believe that those are some of our most potent prayers.

3.) It could also be an opportunity for you to let go and just let God create his little miracles. You might be developing patience and trust at the same time.

I will pray for you. I can hear the anguish in your post. Only God knows why these trials exist. Hang in there. Tomorrow is another day.
 
40.png
SharonL:
Do any of you ever experience prolonged bad luck? In addition to marital and family stresses, I find that things keep breaking down and I am going into debt because of this. I am finding it really hard to cope. I had to replace three major appliances this year, the fourth one is on the blink, my carpet cleaner and microwave broke down this week, my sinks and toilets keep getting blocked, and the list goes on. I am weary of it and spend most of my time yelling at God, who is allowing all of this to happen.

My questions: are all of these things simply coincidences? or do I attribute it to demonic influences? Is God testing my patience, since I prayed for the gift of patience several years ago? Is life supposed to be miserable all the time???
Know how you feel. We had big trouble and got our business blessed and things dramatically improved. If it is diabolical, then bless everything with holy water yourself. And get the priest in ASAP. Offer him the meal and beverage of his choice. That should entice the priest.
The prob is probably not as severe. But try reading the book of Job in the OT. It’s the perfect explaination of this sort of thing.
Our time in this world is one big test. But there is roses amongst our daily thorns. The secret we all have to learn is to love the crosses God sends us. This is why the Saints have that supernatural joy. Hard to do though. Hang in there.
 
From St Josemaria Escriva. Pagans suffer more. Read it, it’s very insightful.
As I speak of these things, there comes to mind the dream of that author of the golden age of Spanish literature — I am sure some of you have heard me mention it in other meditations. The writer sees two roads opening up before him. One of them is broad and smooth, easy to travel, with many comfortable inns, taverns and other places of beauty and delight. Along this road go great crowds of people on horseback or in carriages, in a hubbub of music and mindless laughter. One sees a multitude intoxicated by a joy which is simply ephemeral and superficial, for this road leads to a bottomless precipice. It is the road taken by the worldly-minded, ever seeking material pleasure, boasting a happiness that they do not really possess, and craving insatiably for comfort and pleasure… They are terrified at the thought of suffering, self-denial or sacrifice. They have no wish to know anything about the Cross of Christ. They think it is sheer madness. But then it is they who are insane, for they are slaves of envy, gluttony and sensuality. They end up suffering far more, and only too late do they realise that they have squandered both their earthly and their eternal happiness in exchange for meaningless trifles. Our Lord has warned us about this. ‘The man who tries to save his life shall lose it; it is the man who loses his life for my sake who will secure it. How is a man the better for it if he gains the whole world at the cost of losing his own soul?’

In that dream there is another path which goes in a different direction. It is so steep and narrow that the travellers who take it cannot go on horseback. All who take it must go on foot, perhaps having to zigzag from side to side, but they move steadily on, treading on thorns and briars, picking their way round rocks and boulders. At times their clothing gets torn, and even their flesh. But at the end of this road a garden of paradise awaits them, eternal happiness, Heaven. This is the way taken by holy people, who humble themselves and who, out of love for Jesus, gladly sacrifice themselves for others. It is the path of those who are not afraid of an uphill climb, who bear the cross lovingly, no matter how heavy it may be, because they know that if they fall under its weight they can still get up and continue their ascent. Christ is the strength of these travellers.
 
Dear Sharon,
I don’t understand life at all, it’s a profound mystery.I’m sorry for your troubles.

I read a book once by a Rabbi called ‘Why do Bad Things Happen to Good People?’ I think that’s the title.It explores the Book of Job as it relates to suffering we experience in this life. Basically, it’s a mystery and doesn’t make much sense, or seem very just.
 
personally and in the family we have been through our share of bad times, but I don’t believe in luck, fate, karma, curses etc. I believe we make our own circumstances to the extent they are due to factors we can control, but also in the 80/20 rule. We control about 80% of the factors that determine our present condition of life, but 20% are outside our control: global, climate, disease, economic etc. Yet of the things that come our way 80% we can handle and adjust for, but 20% do most of the damage.

If I make a life choice that puts me on a certain track I have no right to complain about all the stops and stations along that track. If I choose career over family, I have no right to complain about family breakdown problems. If I choose to stay at home with my kids instead of working, I accepted a certain economic reality and have no right to complain if we don’t live in an overpriced 5 bedroom house in the burbs, and to cut my husband down because of it. If I buy a cheap appliance, or fail to do preventive maintanence on appliances, house or car I can expect breakdowns and troubles. If I choose not to buy insurance, I will have to deal with big medical bills. If I choose to leave school early for whatever reasons, I will probably be lacking credentials or skills for job hunting later on. If I burn bridges, it is no use trying to go back and cross them again. If I carry resentments and go out of my way to be aggressive and assert my rights at every opportunity, and fail to maintain friendships, I will probably be lacking friends when I need them most.
 
So very true. While I hope I am always compassionate to those in trouble, and recognize that much in life is beyond our control, I find it wearisome when people spiritualize or supernaturalize the very natural effects and outcomes of their choices. That’s why prudence is so essential.
 
John Russell, Jr: That was absolutely beautiful. Thank you for that. Definitely worth the read.

:clapping:
 
I suppose you could say that my family and I have had a run of bad luck lately with cars (honestly, in the last three months, it seems we can’t go two weeks without a breakdown, and we take good care of our cars). I figure it is just a coincidence, or else somebody comes to my house at night, shorts out wires, cuts timing belts, breaks gas gauges, and ruins suspension components (then again maybe not). I think it just kinda happens, and we just deal with it as it comes

Eamon
 
40.png
SusanL:
John Russell, Jr: That was absolutely beautiful. Thank you for that. Definitely worth the read.

:clapping:
Glad you liked it.
 
I just heard Father Corapi say that there’s nothing like a good old trauma to bring us closer to God. Interesting.
 
ment is better.
  1. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  2. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
Robert Bay’s new rules of the forum:
  1. If you support any sort of view that is different than what the mods believe, you will be banned. Discussion is not open for different and new ideas. Even if Catholicism is making a mistake, we support tradition.
  2. Everything the Catholic Church has ever done has been infallible. Therefore, there is no need for you to question anything about Catholicism, the Church is perfect. If the Church told you to kill someone, you should do it, no questions asked.
  3. Any rude and ignorant comments to others stating “You are not a true Catholic if you voted for Obama” will be accepted and is encouraged.
  4. God didn’t give you this conscience to use for yourself. You must substitute other peoples judgment for your own, and never question them, because their judgment is better.
  5. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  6. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
    Code:
         Robert Bay's new rules of the forum:
  7. If you support any sort of view that is different than what the mods believe, you will be banned. Discussion is not open for different and new ideas. Even if Catholicism is making a mistake, we support tradition.
  8. Everything the Catholic Church has ever done has been infallible. Therefore, there is no need for you to question anything about Catholicism, the Church is perfect. If the Church told you to kill someone, you should do it, no questions asked.
  9. Any rude and ignorant comments to others stating “You are not a true Catholic if you voted for Obama” will be accepted and is encouraged.
  10. God didn’t give you this conscience to use for yourself. You must substitute other peoples judgment for your own, and never question them, because their judgment is better.
  11. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  12. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
Robert Bay’s new rules of the forum:
  1. If you support any sort of view that is different than what the mods believe, you will be banned. Discussion is not open for different and new ideas. Even if Catholicism is making a mistake, we support tradition.
  2. Everything the Catholic Church has ever done has been infallible. Therefore, there is no need for you to question anything about Catholicism, the Church is perfect. If the Church told you to kill someone, you should do it, no questions asked.
  3. Any rude and ignorant comments to others stating “You are not a true Catholic if you voted for Obama” will be accepted and is encouraged.
  4. God didn’t give you this conscience to use for yourself. You must substitute other peoples judgment for your own, and never question them, because their judgment is better.
  5. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  6. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
    Code:
         Robert Bay's new rules of the forum:
  7. If you support any sort of view that is different than what the mods believe, you will be banned. Discussion is not open for different and new ideas. Even if Catholicism is making a mistake, we support tradition.
  8. Everything the Catholic Church has ever done has been infallible. Therefore, there is no need for you to question anything about Catholicism, the Church is perfect. If the Church told you to kill someone, you should do it, no questions asked.
  9. Any rude and ignorant comments to others stating “You are not a true Catholic if you voted for Obama” will be accepted and is encouraged.
  10. God didn’t give you this conscience to use for yourself. You must substitute other peoples judgment for your own, and never question them, because their judgment is better.
  11. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  12. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
Robert Bay’s new rules of the forum:
  1. If you support any sort of view that is different than what the mods believe, you will be banned. Discussion is not open for different and new ideas. Even if Catholicism is making a mistake, we support tradition.
  2. Everything the Catholic Church has ever done has been infallible. Therefore, there is no need for you to question anything about Catholicism, the Church is perfect. If the Church told you to kill someone, you should do it, no questions asked.
  3. Any rude and ignorant comments to others stating “You are not a true Catholic if you voted for Obama” will be accepted and is encouraged.
  4. God didn’t give you this conscience to use for yourself. You must substitute other peoples judgment for your own, and never question them, because their judgment is better.
  5. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  6. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
 
short answer yes there are times when it seems to be just one thing after another, until you reach your breaking point. It seems in every family sometimes there comes a bad year when stuff just happens.

as far as luck, I don’t believe in it. Thomas Jefferson said the harder I work the luckier I get, and that is true as far as it goes. In general, when it comes to the daily grind of life, we get what we pay for most of the time. I am forced to admit that when had a rash of things breaking down, for instance, it was because I had neglected basic maintenance (due to lack of time, know-how or money usually). When I had a string of financial setbacks, often it was my own neglect of some basics-balancing the checkbook, cashing in rebates, paying bills on time. But I have no control over greedy monsters who create financial crises, or failures of regulatory bodies and banks. So I do my best to educate myself and get sound advice, and do my part to manage what I can.

But that only covers what I have some control over, and that is only a small percentage of “life” events. I have no control over the weather for instance but I learned through experience to prepare for blizzards in Michigan, and now for hurricanes in Texas. I can’t stop it from happening but I can deal with at least some of the negative impact by prior planning. I have control over basic health and hygeine in the home, but not over an epidemic and what other people do or how the disease spreads. So again, I do what I can to make sure house is clean, kids wash their hands etc.

we have family members jealous because we retired early, but they fail to appreciate we lived very modestly, saved much more than most people, are more conservative financially than most, and are still working at new jobs. we made sacrifices many are not willing so that we could devote this part of our lives to our apostolates. But I attribute to the action of the Holy Spirit, not to luck, that we were led to those ministries, and I think a deliberate resolution to be attentive to his inspiration is part of the reason.

I do not mean that when bad things happen it is my fault, any more than it is by my own actions that good things happen, but I do have to be honest with myself, and see how my positive actions and my omissions play a part. I still think 90% of what happens is outside our control, and just the way the world is, yet we spend 90% of our time worrying about and trying to guard against what we cannot control. In retrospect, I probably should have spent more time and energy on what was under my control–my own spiritual and physical health, time management, and so forth. Oh well I guess it is all a learning experience. No wonder the wise people always look so old.

i don’t think we have to apologize for “yelling at God” isn’t that what the psalmist does at times? I like to pray those psalms that call on God to punish our enemies when I am having one of those days.

ooops I am so sorry I got caught again jumping in on an old thread my apologies please don’t get mad Mr. Mod.
 
Robert Bay’s new rules of the forum:
  1. If you support any sort of view that is different than what the mods believe, you will be banned. Discussion is not open for different and new ideas. Even if Catholicism is making a mistake, we support tradition.
  2. Everything the Catholic Church has ever done has been infallible. Therefore, there is no need for you to question anything about Catholicism, the Church is perfect. If the Church told you to kill someone, you should do it, no questions asked.
  3. Any rude and ignorant comments to others stating “You are not a true Catholic if you voted for Obama” will be accepted and is encouraged.
  4. God didn’t give you this conscience to use for yourself. You must substitute other peoples judgment for your own, and never question them, because their judgment is better.
  5. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  6. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
    Code:
         Robert Bay's new rules of the forum:
  7. If you support any sort of view that is different than what the mods believe, you will be banned. Discussion is not open for different and new ideas. Even if Catholicism is making a mistake, we support tradition.
  8. Everything the Catholic Church has ever done has been infallible. Therefore, there is no need for you to question anything about Catholicism, the Church is perfect. If the Church told you to kill someone, you should do it, no questions asked.
  9. Any rude and ignorant comments to others stating “You are not a true Catholic if you voted for Obama” will be accepted and is encouraged.
  10. God didn’t give you this conscience to use for yourself. You must substitute other peoples judgment for your own, and never question them, because their judgment is better.
  11. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  12. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
Robert Bay’s new rules of the forum:
  1. If you support any sort of view that is different than what the mods believe, you will be banned. Discussion is not open for different and new ideas. Even if Catholicism is making a mistake, we support tradition.
  2. Everything the Catholic Church has ever done has been infallible. Therefore, there is no need for you to question anything about Catholicism, the Church is perfect. If the Church told you to kill someone, you should do it, no questions asked.
  3. Any rude and ignorant comments to others stating “You are not a true Catholic if you voted for Obama” will be accepted and is encouraged.
  4. God didn’t give you this conscience to use for yourself. You must substitute other peoples judgment for your own, and never question them, because their judgment is better.
  5. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  6. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
    Code:
         Robert Bay's new rules of the forum:
  7. If you support any sort of view that is different than what the mods believe, you will be banned. Discussion is not open for different and new ideas. Even if Catholicism is making a mistake, we support tradition.
  8. Everything the Catholic Church has ever done has been infallible. Therefore, there is no need for you to question anything about Catholicism, the Church is perfect. If the Church told you to kill someone, you should do it, no questions asked.
  9. Any rude and ignorant comments to others stating “You are not a true Catholic if you voted for Obama” will be accepted and is encouraged.
  10. God didn’t give you this conscience to use for yourself. You must substitute other peoples judgment for your own, and never question them, because their judgment is better.
  11. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  12. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
Robert Bay’s new rules of the forum:
  1. If you support any sort of view that is different than what the mods believe, you will be banned. Discussion is not open for different and new ideas. Even if Catholicism is making a mistake, we support tradition.
  2. Everything the Catholic Church has ever done has been infallible. Therefore, there is no need for you to question anything about Catholicism, the Church is perfect. If the Church told you to kill someone, you should do it, no questions asked.
  3. Any rude and ignorant comments to others stating “You are not a true Catholic if you voted for Obama” will be accepted and is encouraged.
  4. God didn’t give you this conscience to use for yourself. You must substitute other peoples judgment for your own, and never question them, because their judgment is better.
  5. If you child someday asks you if they should use a condom, you should tell them “No, let yourself get HIV instead.”
  6. You must agree with everything Robert Bay believes or you’ll be banned.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top