A
agp2176
Guest
Gulp — I hope it wasn’t one that I where I was cantor!Recently attending a Mass with attrocious music, I couldn’t help ponder this question…again.![]()
This is something that is a constant source of irritation to me. At my parish, under our previous administrator, a man who was a ‘professional’ musician was brought in from the other parish our administrator administrated at. (Stop and think about that slowly an it will make sense). I was on a sabbatical at that time and was not acting in my role as music director. This guy brought in hymns that no one knew (the demographics of my parish are older folks), hymns not in our missal that photocopied (illegally) from other sources, and solos by him our his wife as meditation after communion, and his buddy on guitar.The amped up band that plays at some of our Masses are pretty good musicians and have great entertainment value, unfortunately they get carried away with themselves and wind up being a distraction to the Liturgy. I think with todays music feeling the full presence of our Lord in the Eucharist, less is more.
During a return visit I attended one of these masses. Talk about feeling like I was watching a stage show featuring the Kingston Trio.
The Mass is not an entertainment spectacle. Its not there to oooh and ahhh at the children’s choir or some entertainer.
I’m not the greatest singer. I can barely read music. But I am humbled to be allowed to lead all the others like me in praising the Lord.
I may the Florence Foster Jenkins of cantors, but as she said “People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.”
God bless
Tony