Balance between gratitude for the good life with all those suffering with want

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kathryn_Ann
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kathryn_Ann

Guest
Dear friends on the forum.

Sometimes I’ll see a post by friends who are celebrating their luxurious vacations and they’ll caption their photos with “Life is Good.” But juxtaposed with some people’s fortunate lives are so many hurting people, here in our country and abroad. Many here on these forums probably work with people every day who are really suffering. When I see people captioning their fortunate lives with “Life is Good,” it makes me very sad for those whose lives are very distressing. I work among some who are abused, neglected and so sad. I’m certain that God’s creation is all very good, yet His intent is that all are rescued from despair. It saddens me to see some families struggling so hard, so it is impossible for me to post up celebratory photos and make a blanket statement such as “Life is Good,” knowing so many still need so much help.

Sometimes the most generous people are the very ones who live very well and they have so many ways they do help. But often, I hear some berate people who are on food stamps or welfare.

I was talking to a Protestant friend yesterday who is against helping people, because she feels each person is responsible for himself or herself. That may be true, but so many hard working people with children are losing jobs and some are facing foreclosures on their homes. I have another friend whose husband was just laid off and now have to buy expensive medical plans with their savings. They can’t help their present circumstances and life, for them, and people across the planet suffering from hunger, is nothing to celebrate.

And especially innocent are the little children, here and all over the world caught up in war or experiencing famine, facing disease. My friend who had no compassion for the poor felt that this is just how life is. Our discussion ended in disagreement. She feels I am a “bleeding heart” liberal. But I believe Christ’s heart breaks for everyone who is hurting and in despair. How can we celebrate when others suffer?

I struggle for a balance between celebrating my blessings and working to help others. Mostly, I am sad to see photos of people celebrating and captioning their photos with “Life is Good,” their wine glasses raised triumphantly onboard their yachts or at big feasts, as if these words approach the reality lived by millions of people. Seeing those captions “Life is Good,” seems to have more to do with what they personally enjoy, rather than embracing other’s struggles so that life* could* be better for those less fortunate.

I don’t believe it’s only saints and people with “special callings” who are supposed to feel other’s suffering and help alleviate their distress. We are all part of the Body of Christ. If someone’s own family member were suffering, that person would not feel like celebrating and would “bow out,” of the party and everyone would understand. If even the least part of the body is in pain, aren’t we to feel that pain just as keenly and rush to help them? How different do you think the world would be if instead of feeling the need to constantly celebrate, we instead embraced and included more people so they could have a place at the banquet?

Should we be setting examples in our own families as how to balance one’s blessings with the reality of other’s great suffering? Shouldn’t the message be “Life is good, when we share the blessings…?”
 
Yes.

And thank you for your thoughtful and inspiring reminder.
Oh, thank you, dear :angel1:dedo. I was just struggling with this and am wondering what people think, so comments are most welcome. May your day be blessed so that you may bless others!
:heaven:Kathryn Ann
:hug1:
 
Wonderful posting…and Reminder…

Yes we should celebrate our ability to help others.
We should also celebrate the blessings God has given us and our families.

We should celebrate it all.

Praise be to God

Peace
James
 
Wonderful posting…and Reminder…

Yes we should celebrate our ability to help others.
We should also celebrate the blessings God has given us and our families.

We should celebrate it all.

Praise be to God

Peace
James
**Thank you, our Dear James!:knight1: You remind me that it is not an either/or situation. I can remember that so that when I am grateful for something, it’s good to make sure others have an equal place at the table of joy. :heaven:Perhaps that is why our dear Lord Jesus told us to give away one coat if we have two! Your posting suddenly reminded me of that. You are so good to remind us of the wholeness of God. He can help us balance things.

Once, when I was thinking :shrug:about these same things, I heard a little whisper in my heart: Only God can hold :imsorry:sorrow and joy :dancing:simultaneously. I, as a human, have to deal with one at a time! I’d forgotten that until your reply here. We are not expected to get things accomplished on our own, but “with God, all things are possible.” That is how I can learn balance. :angel1:

All Peace in Christ:heaven::hug1:
Kathryn Ann**
 
Thank you for a very thought-provoking and heartfelt posting!

I have struggled with these exact sentiments myself for a long time, especially since I’ve been on both sides of the coin during my life, so to speak. The replies thus far are very helpful as well. 👍
 
Thank you for a very thought-provoking and heartfelt posting!

I have struggled with these exact sentiments myself for a long time, especially since I’ve been on both sides of the coin during my life, so to speak. The replies thus far are very helpful as well. 👍
**

Thank you GwynB:heaven:. It’s so nice to know I’m not alone in thinking about these things. It could be that people who have experienced both plenty, as well as want, may struggle with balancing things. I like to think that at every happy event, each of us can find a way to reach out to people. I always encourage people to include in their invitations the idea to bring a canned good or something that can be taken to a local food pantry. Imagine if everyone did that! :angel1: Perhaps I’ll post that somewhere on the forums.

Yes, yours and all the other replies have been a great help.
All blessings**:angel1:
 
That is a great idea! 👍 Our church picnic is coming up later this month. I’m thinking of suggesting to my priest to request people to bring a canned good donation for the local food pantry.
 
On the flip side, who knew the sufferings of Man better than Jesus? And yet while on earth, he did indeed celebrate (wedding at Cana, other instances in the gospel that depict Jesus eating/drinking/being merry) and have great joy in life.

Of course the poor are important-- helping them, praying for them, working for justice. But that does not at all mean that we are to eschew joyous occasions, or feel guilty for what we have or for finding joy in travel, celebrations, recreation, etc.

It is a part of being human.
 
It saddens me to see, hear and read peoples views of noncompassion, towards the poor and suffering. Selfishness has set into so many peoples hearts. Where’s the care gone towards our fellow human beings. It’s heartbreaking. I am grateful that I was born in the UK, with the fortunate position of having free, education, healthcare, clean water and so on.
When did this lack of compassion and self-centredness creep up on us 😦
 
That is a great idea! 👍 Our church picnic is coming up later this month. I’m thinking of suggesting to my priest to request people to bring a canned good donation for the local food pantry.
Oh, I’m so glad, GwynB, that’s wonderful! I wonder which forum I might put this idea under. I do it all the time in a little ministry we do at our parish. If you think of the best forum I might start a thread about this, please let me know. Of course, I’m sure lots of people do it. I love to share ideas like this. Every event can be a “canned” event. This might be another way to really balance plenty with the reality of want.
Thank you!
 
This is a great post, OP. I enjoyed reading through it. This is something that I’ve been contemplating, as well. Someone recommended that I read the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church. It addresses many of the things that you bring up.
**
Hi, AllSeasons, and thank you very much for the link above. I need to read that, definitely. It’s always good to be learning and there is so much for me to learn every single day! Blessings!**
 
It saddens me to see, hear and read peoples views of noncompassion, towards the poor and suffering. Selfishness has set into so many peoples hearts. Where’s the care gone towards our fellow human beings. It’s heartbreaking. I am grateful that I was born in the UK, with the fortunate position of having free, education, healthcare, clean water and so on.
When did this lack of compassion and self-centredness creep up on us 😦
**Yes, acacia12, I have admired the UK for its courage to include all in its plan for free education, healthcare, etc. I realize that may be a political statement, and I certainly don’t want to offend anyone. I think it is very First Century, Christ-like Catholic compassion to include all at the table. :angel1:

Even so, if people don’t want to legislate these things, we can all help people voluntarily. It’s interesting how a few FB postings affected me. I keep seeing so many people with the most lavish lifestyles posting up photos of elaborate banquets and events, saying “Life is Good,” when so many are suffering, and these people who suffer are supposed to be just as much a part of our family as our close, “nuclear” family.

Yet instead of judging others, I should deal with the way I myself handle things, how I share. Someone’s post reminded me of Jesus telling us all, if we have two coats, we should give one away. That’s the math. What a beautifully simplistic compassionate way He sets before us! Life IS good, if we share our blessings! I hope we will all see and experience more of that.
Peace,**:heaven::grouphug:
 
On the flip side, who knew the sufferings of Man better than Jesus? And yet while on earth, he did indeed celebrate (wedding at Cana, other instances in the gospel that depict Jesus eating/drinking/being merry) and have great joy in life.

Of course the poor are important-- helping them, praying for them, working for justice. But that does not at all mean that we are to eschew joyous occasions, or feel guilty for what we have or for finding joy in travel, celebrations, recreation, etc.

It is a part of being human.
**That is so true, 1ke.:flowers:
I was thinking about that too, when I wrote that only God can hold joy and sorrow in balance, simultaneously. We are human, so we go step by step. We can be at a banquet one moment, and outside the window see someone pass by who is hungry. We can welcome them in. Our Lady perhaps understands this. She bore Christ in her womb and was the Ark Bearer, and later Christ and His Holy Mother suffered during His Passion, then Our Lady rejoiced at His Resurrection. God Our Father was able to see both sorrow and joy at all moments, while we see time flow step by step.

As long as we think of “the poor” as people outside of our family, we won’t think of including “them”. If we begin to think of all people as in our human family, I believe we will still celebrate, but there will be more people at the table! :angel1:

It could be that this expansion of our hearts will help us see how we must, we really must extend our arms wider to embrace more people. Blessings and thank you for reminding us all that celebration itself is not sinful. We must see beyond our little tables though, and make them larger so that more can come to the banquet.:signofcross::heaven::gopray2:
Peace**
 
I find that the more time I spend living out the Gospel’s message to “cloth the naked, feed the hungry” etc, the less “good life” (in terms of things that cost $) I need.

It is easy to be judgement (people on food stamps are lazy, and spending it on twinkies, then using their cash for cigarettes, etc) which you are not actually involved in helping anyone who is financially struggling. When you see how are some people try, how little they have, and how grateful they are for a pair of sized 4T used jeans in nice condition, or a pair of mittens or a jacket to replace something lost at head start that there are not funds to replace, or keep up with your church’s Haiti mission, or soup kitchen, you just start thinking differently. Yes, because of our good fortune and the blessing of a job paying decent wages, I could take the kids to the movie last night for my son’s sleep over. I bought a $5 video and made popcorn at home instead, and spent the rest on really nice clothing in fantastic condition from my neighbor’s garage sale to donate to children this upcoming school year.

and now we get to keep the video, and pass it on to someone else.

Not buying wrapping paper a few times, (making our own) and using cloth towels instead of paper, making our own laundry detergent, and I can buy cloth diapers for a struggling family who can’t afford diapers for their kids.

You get the idea. The more you serve, the more you are blessed by less, and the more you can extend to others not as fortunate. And the more you can really help, because you have a better idea exactly what is needed. It isn’t always money.
 
I find that the more time I spend living out the Gospel’s message to “cloth the naked, feed the hungry” etc, the less “good life” (in terms of things that cost $) I need.

It is easy to be judgement (people on food stamps are lazy, and spending it on twinkies, then using their cash for cigarettes, etc) which you are not actually involved in helping anyone who is financially struggling. When you see how are some people try, how little they have, and how grateful they are for a pair of sized 4T used jeans in nice condition, or a pair of mittens or a jacket to replace something lost at head start that there are not funds to replace, or keep up with your church’s Haiti mission, or soup kitchen, you just start thinking differently. Yes, because of our good fortune and the blessing of a job paying decent wages, I could take the kids to the movie last night for my son’s sleep over. I bought a $5 video and made popcorn at home instead, anntd spent the rest on really nice clothing in fantastic condition from my neighbor’s garage sale to donate to children this upcoming school year.

and now we get to keep the video, and pass it on to someone else.

Not buying wrapping paper a few times, (making our own) and using cloth towels instead of paper, making our own laundry detergent, and I can buy cloth diapers for a struggling family who can’t afford diapers for their kids.

You get the idea. The more you serve, the more you are blessed by less, and the more you can extend to others not as fortunate. And the more you can really help, because you have a better idea exactly what is needed. It isn’t always money.
I love this what your doing. BTW how do you make your own laundry detergent? 🙂
 
I love this what your doing. BTW how do you make your own laundry detergent? 🙂
Thanks! It is a blessing, and its fun.

tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/

I use fels naptha, grated with washing soda and borax, I also use the fels naptha to pre-treat stains, and boost loads that need more deodorizing with the washing soda, and more whitening with the borax, (also do bleach for plain whites.)

another popular idea is to have a soup and bread night – can make dinner for your whole family with something like potato or vegtable soup and homemade bread for a few dollars, do once a week, save the difference, give to food pantry. Some buy the extra items for the food pantry with the money they saved and use as centerpiece for that meal and say a prayer for families who are struggling to eat with table grace, then go ahead and take the stuff on Sunday for the food pantry collection. We haven’t done anything like that in a while, but we should. I tend to get stuff from the dollar store food stamps doesn’t buy, like toothpaste, TP, etc. but there are different needs EVERY week.
 
Thanks! It is a blessing, and its fun.

tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/

I use fels naptha, grated with washing soda and borax, I also use the fels naptha to pre-treat stains, and boost loads that need more deodorizing with the washing soda, and more whitening with the borax, (also do bleach for plain whites.)

another popular idea is to have a soup and bread night – can make dinner for your whole family with something like potato or vegtable soup and homemade bread for a few dollars, do once a week, save the difference, give to food pantry. Some buy the extra items for the food pantry with the money they saved and use as centerpiece for that meal and say a prayer for families who are struggling to eat with table grace, then go ahead and take the stuff on Sunday for the food pantry collection. We haven’t done anything like that in a while, but we should. I tend to get stuff from the dollar store food stamps doesn’t buy, like toothpaste, TP, etc. but there are different needs EVERY week.
Thank you. This is very helpful 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top