Baptism and Once Saved

• Thread starter Thread starter Bon_Croix
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
adf417:
Why would someone do this? Its a canon for a reason.
I’m not sure what point your trying to make.
You said read the book of Acts independently as though it might bring a different understanding. Why would you do this? The bible was not meant to pick and choose certain scriptures to read for different understandings. The bible was written by different people to different cultures and all the books were complied with whole word of God in mind.

Peace!!!

Hello adf417
When I wrote independently I meant without any bible aids. He is perfectly free to read the other books. The book of acts is different from the others because it contains the original basic Christian message in the sense that there are multiple mini sermons given to perspective converts. If the original message was that if an individual believed and was baptized he would then have a much better chance for a happier afterlife the apostles certainly would have said so in there sermons.

Hello adf417
When I wrote independently I meant without any bible aids. He is perfectly free to read the other books. The book of acts is different from the others because it contains the original basic Christian message in the sense that there are multiple mini sermons given to perspective converts. If the original message was that if an individual believed and was baptized he would then have a much better chance for a happier afterlife the apostles certainly would have said so in there sermons.
They did-
“And this prefigured baptism, which now saves you” - 1Pet 3:21

Just because it doesn’t explicitly say this in ACTS does not negate the fact.

Peace!!!

Sort of. Once saved always saved people usually don’t believe that baptism is necessary for salvation even though most are baptized probably.

What they do believe is that if you gave your heart to Jesus then you’ll be saved. Now there’s two schools within once saved always saved. The more radical ones will actually say that fallen away Christian is still saved. Others will say that person isn’t saved, but he never really started following God, so he hasn’t really lost anything.

Hello adf417 and Chessnerd321,
A person can be saved from anything. When the apostles used the word saved what did they mean? Was it ever used in the sense of going somewhere in the afterlife?

Hello adf417 and Chessnerd321,
A person can be saved from anything. When the apostles used the word saved what did they mean? Was it ever used in the sense of going somewhere in the afterlife?
Hi huck. May i ask a favor on your future posts that when you dont do a direct reply to a person but want to notify the person of your reply, that you add the @ symbol in front of the name such as @huck. This will send the individual a specific notification to your post. Otherwise it is possible i could have missed this post and overlooked it not knowing it was intended for me.

We are “saved” from our sins. We are all sinful humans and God gave us the means to cleans us of these sins through His forgiveness.

See more here - What the Early Church Believed: The Necessity of Baptism | Catholic Answers

Peace!!!

My goodness people, it seems that everything said on this site has to do with what the Evangelicals think or believe. Does the CC have its face in the rear view mirror?

Why is everybody so fixated and energized on what the, quote, protestants, do?.. we have a world of secularism robbing our sons and daughters…
Sorry to tell you this, but…

The way I see it, Protestantism has a lot to do with that secularism.

It is Protestants who divided the Christian world.
It is Protestants who brought divorce and remarriage into the Christian world.
It is Protestants who brought contraception into the Christian world.
It is Protestants who have accepted homosexuality to the point they even accept homosexual pastors.
It is Protestants who in many cases approve of abortion.

Any Catholic who sins, actually anyone who sins, does so against the clear Teaching of the Catholic Church.

But many sins have been mainlined and approved of in Protestant teaching.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

My goodness people, it seems that everything said on this site has to do with what the Evangelicals think or believe. Does the CC have its face in the rear view mirror?
Lol! First of all, the OP doesn’t mention Evangelicals.
Second, if he had, some Protestant would have popped up and said, “don’t generalize”, try reading the Augsburg Confession or the Book of Concord.

Third, “on this site”, are the key words in your sentence above. This site was established specifically to combat the errors that Protestants introduced into Christendom and to reverse the trend of Catholics being proselytized out of the Church.
Why is everybody so fixated and energized on what the, quote, protestants, do?
Because Protestants have, for centuries, been fixated on attacking Catholic Teaching. There are many sites on the internet, not so many now that Catholic Answers is around to debunk their errors, but still many who focus on attacking Catholic Doctrine.
… we have a world of secularism robbing our sons and daughters at every major university. they produce atheist and naturalist all day long.
Answered above. As I said, I believe Protestantism has added a great deal to secularism. Protestantism is, in my opinion, part of the problem.
We now have 70 percent of young people leaving the church by the time they graduate high school, and they don’t return.
Who was targeting Catholics and confusing them to the point that they were fed up with Christendom? Answer: Protestants.
We have whole generations of people who have never darkened the doors of any Church, protestant or catholic.
Who is giving the example of disunity? To the point that you have over 20,000 competing denominations.
The Church as a whole is in a nose dive because we haven’t been able to make the necessary inroads to the culture. The culture is now hostile to Christianity of every flavor, and we are concerned with the once saved always saved issues?.. Lord help us!
Once saved always saved issues ENCOURAGE sinfulness. Yes, we are concerned with Protestants instilling that false doctrine in the world.

On many issues you point out, you are correct, I fear. I believe I read from book on the history of the Church I read in class (I am sorry, I cannot remember what the title was), that the Radical Reformation (those in the generation after Luther, and part of the movements that denied the Sacraments) led directly to the Enlightenment, which is really the fount of modern secularism.

I can’t help but think that much of Luther’s bitterness as he neared the end of his life was due to seeing the outcomes of his conflict with Rome, the pain and bitterness of failure. For those of us who are Lutherans, Reformation Day should not be a day of celebration, as it is commonly practiced, but a day of penance and reflection.

Also, a quick note to @HD0521
In the evangelical churches I was once in; baptism was “an outward sign, of an inward change.” Not necessary for salvation. Or on the other hand you could get baptized multiple times and you would still just be “a wet sinner.” You were once saved, always saved, as long as you prayed the sinners prayer. Until you weren’t sure if you were saved,
then you just prayed it again and “rededicated” your life to the lord. Which the prayer ironically is similar to an act of contrition.
This was my experience growing up Baptist. I ended up becoming burnt out and just dropped out of Christianity altogether for a while. My wife had a similar experience, though she didn’t lose faith.

@De_Maria De

Lol!

“But many sins have been mainlined…”

As, it’s in their bloodstreams and they crave it now—a perfect description of preferring sin to the alternatives Christ has offered.

Blessed be God. Blessed be His Holy name…

Last edited:
Do all Baptist churches have the same belief on the issue of baptism? I ask because I believe there are different kinds of Baptists, ranging from ultra-conservative to ultra-liberal with regard to other issues, political and otherwise.

Last edited:
Do all Baptist churches have the same belief on the issue of baptism? I ask because I believe there are different kinds of Baptists, ranging from ultra-conservative to ultra-liberal with regard to other issues, political and otherwise.
Baptists are congregational in the sense that each local congregation is the final authority. Baptist churches do join local and national associations, such as the Southern Baptist Convention (conservative) or the American Baptist Churches USA (liberal). However, these denominational groups serve mainly to pool resources; they don’t exercise any kind of local control over individual churches.

Historically, there have been certain beliefs that have defined the Baptist tradition. Two of the most important are congregational governance and believer’s baptism. The latter belief is why the Baptists are called “Baptists”. They started in England in the 1500s as Separatists from the Church of England, and were often called Anabaptists early on due to the fact that followers baptized as infants rejected that baptism and were baptized as adults. Anabaptist literally means “rebaptizer”, though they disagreed with this label.

So, each Baptist church might have its own particular twist but essentially Baptist churches believe:
  1. Baptism should be full immersion (no sprinkling)
  2. Only performed on people old enough to profess faith in Christ (so no infant baptism)
  3. Baptism is an outward symbol of an inward change (no baptismal regeneration such as Catholics believe). Baptism doesn’t make someone a Christian; you become a Christian and then get baptized.

Last edited:
40.png
meltzerboy2:
Baptists are congregational in the sense that each local congregation is the final authority. Baptist churches do join local and national associations, such as the Southern Baptist Convention (conservative) or the American Baptist Churches USA (liberal). However, these denominational groups serve mainly to pool resources; they don’t exercise any kind of local control over individual churches.

Historically, there have been certain beliefs that have defined the Baptist tradition. Two of the most important are congregational governance and believer’s baptism. The latter belief is why the Baptists are called “Baptists”. They started in England in the 1500s as Separatists from the Church of England, and were often called Anabaptists early on due to the fact that followers baptized as infants rejected that baptism and were baptized as adults. Anabaptist literally means “rebaptizer”, though they disagreed with this label.

So, each Baptist church might have its own particular twist but essentially Baptist churches believe:
  1. Baptism should be full immersion (no sprinkling)
  2. Only performed on people old enough to profess faith in Christ (so no infant baptism)
  3. Baptism is an outward symbol of an inward change (no baptismal regeneration such as Catholics believe). Baptism doesn’t make someone a Christian; you become a Christian and then get baptized.
Thanks for the response. I’d like to ask, do you not see a contradiction of God’s word with this situation? Jesus said:

John 17:11 And now I will no longer be in the world, but they are in the world, while I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one just as we are

Do you think that this is the unity that Jesus envisioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back