V
VIR2010
Guest
I am a Christian, not yet fully accepted in the Catholic Church. I made the decision that becoming Catholic is not only the right thing to do, but based upon Scriptural study, it is a no brainer. One thing that I have been studying is Baptism. Coming from a Baptist past, I was raised to believe that Baptism does not save, but faith in Christ does. This is where, a personal wall always seems to come up. After studying John 3:5 which states “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God” I am coming to the conclusion that, The water itself does not save but the Spirit of Christ in the Sacrament does. Water is a Liquid and itself it is just matter, but what the water represents which is the Power of God within is what washes away sin. It interests me because IF the verse said “Unless one be born of Water, he can not see the kingdom of heaven.” Then that would point out that actual Water saves, making h20 a spiritual drink. And if the Verse just said “Unless someone is born of the Spirit, he can not enter the kingdom of God” That would reflect that a simple prayer, belief and trust in God would take you to heaven. But the Verse puts both in the same sequence linking those two things spiritually together. Baptism is in a sense what cleanses you from your sin, not the water, but by being “born again” through the water of Baptism thought the Spirit of God. It is all linked. Acts 2:38 hen Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” It is a Process, remission of sins through Baptism then you recieve the gift…I am sorry I am a little excited posting this because it really opens up a new and hidden virtue to myself being a former Baptist and on my Journey to The Church. I can’t help but think to my self “By Golly they were right”.