Baptism&Confirmation on Easter Vigil

  • Thread starter Thread starter TeenageConvert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TeenageConvert

Guest
Sunday, I became a catechumen(I believe that’s how it’s spelt) and father told me that I must decide whether I want him to confirm me when I’m baptized this Easter, or wait for the Bishop to come to the parish in July and be confirmed along with the rest of the teenagers at the church…for those of you that converted, what did you do, be baptized& Confirmed on the same day or wait?
I know I’ll be a Confirmed Catholic either way, but I just don’t know which one to do lol…and also I was wondering idf on the Easter Vigil I received First Communion as well, or had to wait for something else.
Thanks! 😃
 
Sunday, I became a catechumen(I believe that’s how it’s spelt) and father told me that I must decide whether I want him to confirm me when I’m baptized this Easter,
Adult catechumens (you are an adult catechumen) are to be baptized, confirmed, and receive the eucharist at Eater Vigil.
 
Personally, I would prefer to do it all at one time.

I converted before Vatican II. I was baptized on Saturday afternoon (just the Priest, myself and my 14 year old sponsor were present). The next morning, I went up to communion along with everyone else. Two weeks later, I went to the Cathedral with a couple of hundred other teens, and was confirmed.

The modern method of bringing people in to the church is MUCH better.
 
I suppose it would be more logical to have them both done at once, thanks.

& by adult if you mean past the age of reason, then yes, but if you mean like over 18 then no, I’m only 13.

and yeah the new way does sound a lot better haha.
 
I suppose it would be more logical to have them both done at once, thanks.

& by adult if you mean past the age of reason, then yes, but if you mean like over 18 then no, I’m only 13.

and yeah the new way does sound a lot better haha.
When it comes to Baptism the Church sees only Infant & Adult.

Infant is anyone from birth to the age of reason (around the age of 7) and Adult is anyone who has reached the age of reason.
 
I suppose it would be more logical to have them both done at once, thanks.

& by adult if you mean past the age of reason, then yes, but if you mean like over 18 then no, I’m only 13.

and yeah the new way does sound a lot better haha.
Your priest is probably giving you the option of being confirmed with you peers.

It also helps take pressure off him, when your peers who have to attend CCD classes before receiving Confirmation, see you Confirmed at Easter Vigil, start complaining to the pastor on why they have to suffer throw CCD. 😃

Personally, if you’re ready to commit yourself fully to Jesus Christ, then by all means, receive Confirmation when you’re Baptised at the Easter Vigil.

Jim
 
Sunday, I became a catechumen(I believe that’s how it’s spelt) and father told me that I must decide whether I want him to confirm me when I’m baptized this Easter, or wait for the Bishop to come to the parish in July and be confirmed along with the rest of the teenagers at the church…for those of you that converted, what did you do, be baptized& Confirmed on the same day or wait?
I know I’ll be a Confirmed Catholic either way, but I just don’t know which one to do lol…and also I was wondering idf on the Easter Vigil I received First Communion as well, or had to wait for something else.
Thanks! 😃
The priest who confirms those he baptizes at the Easter vigil has the faculty to confirm and the rite clearly intends conferral of both sacraments at the same time, and for the newly baptized & confirmed also to receive first communion. there is really no option, outside of extraordinary circumstances, for any other scenario. However I am not your priest, he is the one who knows your bishop’s will on the matter. He is probably offering that option, if you are a teen, because he understands youth place a premium on doing these things with their friends and peers, but it is not really fair to leave the choice up to you.
 
The modern method of bringing people in to the church is MUCH better.
What modern method? Receiving the Sacraments of Initiation together at the same time is the traditional way, not the modern way. It is how it was done in the past, and the Eastern Churches continue to do so until today. For one reason or another, the Roman Church has decided to delay Confirmation and Communion. But that is a more modern development compared to getting all 3 together.
 
I had already been baptized when I converted, so I was Confirmed and received the Eucharist for the first time at the Easter Vigil Mass. If I had been given the same choice as you I would have still wanted it all done at the Easter Vigil Mass. I had been desiring conversion to the RCC since my late teens but waited until I moved out of my (devout) Southern Baptist parent’s home to do so. I don’t think I would have wanted to wait any longer!
 
I was baptized and confirmed and received first communion all at the Easter Vigil last year. I am glad they did them all together and would not have wanted it any other way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top