R
runandsew
Guest
We have a dilemma here, one Christian says that the bible teaches that baptism is non-essential, and other Christians say that the bible teaches that baptism is essential.
How do we determine who is right?
Maybe we can throw dice, or maybe play paper - rock - scissors, or maybe we could just vote on the issue?
I would say that both Catholic and Protestant believe that the bible is the inspired truth of God.
Well, I am confused, is there more than one truth of God?
Is the truth that baptism saves you, and the truth is that baptism doesn’t save you?
You know Martin Luther’s quote:
“Unless I am convicted of error by the testimony of Scripture or since I put no trust in the unsupported authority of Pope or councils, since it is plain that they have often erred and often contradicted themselves by manifest reasoning, I stand convicted by the Scriptures to which I have appealed, and my conscience is taken captive by God’s word, I cannot and will not recant anything, for to act against our conscience is neither safe for us, nor open to us.”
Well maybe. just maybe, Martin Luther was wrong.
Maybe we do need to look to the Church to teach the proper interpretation of scripture, even if it goes against our natural reasoning, and our conscience which was taken captive by God’s word.
Acts 8:30-31
Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. Do you understand what you are reading? Philip asked. How can I, he said, unless someone explains it to me? So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.
Maybe we could look back to the church fathers and see how the church has viewed baptism from the very beginning, even if it contradicts our personal view of baptism.
Protestant denominations have split on this issue, is that the unity that Christ prayed for?
John 17: 20-22
My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one
How do we determine who is right?
Maybe we can throw dice, or maybe play paper - rock - scissors, or maybe we could just vote on the issue?
I would say that both Catholic and Protestant believe that the bible is the inspired truth of God.
Well, I am confused, is there more than one truth of God?
Is the truth that baptism saves you, and the truth is that baptism doesn’t save you?
You know Martin Luther’s quote:
“Unless I am convicted of error by the testimony of Scripture or since I put no trust in the unsupported authority of Pope or councils, since it is plain that they have often erred and often contradicted themselves by manifest reasoning, I stand convicted by the Scriptures to which I have appealed, and my conscience is taken captive by God’s word, I cannot and will not recant anything, for to act against our conscience is neither safe for us, nor open to us.”
Well maybe. just maybe, Martin Luther was wrong.
Maybe we do need to look to the Church to teach the proper interpretation of scripture, even if it goes against our natural reasoning, and our conscience which was taken captive by God’s word.
Acts 8:30-31
Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. Do you understand what you are reading? Philip asked. How can I, he said, unless someone explains it to me? So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.
Maybe we could look back to the church fathers and see how the church has viewed baptism from the very beginning, even if it contradicts our personal view of baptism.
Protestant denominations have split on this issue, is that the unity that Christ prayed for?
John 17: 20-22
My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one