Baptism - please help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter bc96christian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody,
So I’ve been thinking a lot about this recently. I am currently a Protestant teen. My family has always attended non-liturgical style churches that do not do infant baptism, so I have not been baptized. In 2015, I will be in college and am most likely going to look highly into joining the Catholic church. Upon already years of research and personal study, I feel that the Catholic church is where I would most likely belong, and I highly doubt that will change within the next year and a half.

However, I have a question. Since I have not yet been baptized, should I:
a) Get baptized as a Protestant, knowing I will later convert
b) Wait to be baptized into the Catholic church

And I assume the Catholic church recognizes Protestant baptism should I choose to be baptized Protestant?

Just a quick thought. I personally think it would be best to be baptized Protestant but just want to make sure I’m doing the best thing. Thanks for the advice.
Do it as soon as possible. As long as it is a Christian Baptism all is good. You must be baptized in the name of the Trinity. I believe it does not matter what Church as long as its in the name of the Trinity its recognized by the Church.
 
That’s not correct. Those baptised in the trinitarian formula outside the Catholic Church still need to be received into the Catholic Church when / if that time comes for THEM.
Not correct. The RCC teaches there is only one Baptism. A Christian Baptism is. My husband is living proof.

He was receive into the RCC over 30 years ago, and was baptized in the Methodist Church and it was fine, all he had to do was produce papers.

You cannot be born again as they say, Once you are baptized in Christ the first time that’s it.
 
Okay, first off, welcome! Here’s my two cents:

If you’re going to join the church, you probably have to go through RCIA. I think it would be worth it to wait for that time so that you are being baptized in the faith that you wish to enter into communion with. It would be better to be baptized in the Catholic Church rather than a protestant church if you intend to join the Catholic Church. Nevertheless, you have to go through a year of instruction to be confirmed anyway, so you might as well be baptized as well. It’s a convenience thing as well as an ethical thing.
I disagree with you, let me tell you why!

Baptism is the receiving of the Holy Spirit and being free from Original Sin. My honest opinion, get free from original sin as soon as possible. Let the Holy Spirit shine and be apart of you as soon as possible.
 
Not correct. The RCC teaches there is only one Baptism. A Christian Baptism is. My husband is living proof.

He was receive into the RCC over 30 years ago, and was baptized in the Methodist Church and it was fine, all he had to do was produce papers.

You cannot be born again as they say, Once you are baptized in Christ the first time that’s it.
Are you sure you read what I wrote?

I wrote
Originally Posted by steve b forums.catholic-questions.org/images/buttons_khaki/viewpost.gif
That’s not correct. Those baptised in the trinitarian formula outside the Catholic Church still need to be received into the Catholic Church when / if that time comes for THEM.
Now if he didn’t receive any Catholic instruction at the time, that’s a shame.
 
Are you sure you read what I wrote?

I wrote

Now if he didn’t receive any Catholic instruction at the time, that’s a shame.
I mistook that for being received to mean re-baptized my bad.

But as I understand it, and as with my husband over 30 years ago, a Christian Baptism does not mean they still don’t have to go to RCIA.

Full admission into the Catholic Church still need confession and confirmation.
 
As a RCIA instructor for 30+ years I would highly recommend that, if it is your intent to enter the Catholic Church, you go through the RCIA process and receive all of the Sacraments of Initiation at the Easter Vigil. I would read the CCC Section Two beginning with chapter 1212 for a full explanation on why this is the preferred method. Particularly paragraph 1259 which explains the “baptism of Desire”. Best wishes on your journey and be assured you are in my prayers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top