R
rcuk
Guest
Dear all;
I am trying to help someone come to the Faith.
She was open with me yesterday about her reservation about being baptised, and I wanted to get your (name removed by moderator)ut.
Her background; she was born to parents when they were very young, outside of marriage. Her parents are still together and she is now nearly 30 years old.
Her grandmother and her friends treated her as an outsider when she was young. She was not baptised, and she suffered a lot of being made an outcast by the Italian church she would sometimes come into contact with, and the members of that church.
She is finding her way now- but said something very disturbing. She actually used to feel she was a ‘devil’ - obviously something engrained in her thanks to these very un-Christian Catholics.
She is being held back from baptism in case it changes her in a bad way. I think she feels it would be wrong to be baptised, and bad things would happen to her. I’m not sure if she feels the devil will cause bad things to happen, or not- but she feels she might die sooner if she is baptised!
I think it’s a case that she feels ‘she doesn’t belong’ due to these issues.
My take on it so far has been to say that God calls everyone to be baptised- but it is down to individual choice. I have said that the only thoughts/feels preventing baptism probably come from what we call ‘the devil’ and are contrary to God’s plan for her.
As for dying young- I have said we all have a life which God will direct and we have no control over that, to a point. I.e. deciding to be baptised is not like pressing a button which will determine life now goes in this direction, or x,y,z will now happen.
Thoughts welcome! I’d very much like to be able to bring this person to the Faith and erase old wounds.
I am trying to help someone come to the Faith.
She was open with me yesterday about her reservation about being baptised, and I wanted to get your (name removed by moderator)ut.
Her background; she was born to parents when they were very young, outside of marriage. Her parents are still together and she is now nearly 30 years old.
Her grandmother and her friends treated her as an outsider when she was young. She was not baptised, and she suffered a lot of being made an outcast by the Italian church she would sometimes come into contact with, and the members of that church.
She is finding her way now- but said something very disturbing. She actually used to feel she was a ‘devil’ - obviously something engrained in her thanks to these very un-Christian Catholics.
She is being held back from baptism in case it changes her in a bad way. I think she feels it would be wrong to be baptised, and bad things would happen to her. I’m not sure if she feels the devil will cause bad things to happen, or not- but she feels she might die sooner if she is baptised!
I think it’s a case that she feels ‘she doesn’t belong’ due to these issues.
My take on it so far has been to say that God calls everyone to be baptised- but it is down to individual choice. I have said that the only thoughts/feels preventing baptism probably come from what we call ‘the devil’ and are contrary to God’s plan for her.
As for dying young- I have said we all have a life which God will direct and we have no control over that, to a point. I.e. deciding to be baptised is not like pressing a button which will determine life now goes in this direction, or x,y,z will now happen.
Thoughts welcome! I’d very much like to be able to bring this person to the Faith and erase old wounds.