My son is 3 months old. My boyfriend and I would like to have him baptized in the Catholic church. However, I am not catholic, I was raised lutheran, but would love to “convert” over to being catholic. My boyfriend was raised in the catholic church, however never was able to be confirmed, cause his mother could not get him to his confirmation classes (due to being a single mother of 3, and working all the time). He too would also like to be confirmed in the catholic church. Would we be able to get our son baptized by like this summer? I just wondered, since he was born out of wedlock, and technically neither of us are catholic. However the Godparents we have chosen are both catholic. I’ve been trying to research it online, and couldn’t come up with a clear answer. I know we’d also have to discuss it with the priest at the parish here, my boyfriend knows him a little. But since my boyfriend works most weekends, he’s unable to make it to church. I would like to start attending…but I feel itimidated to attend the catholic church by myself, would I even be allowed? I feel like there is so much I don’t know, but I would like to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
First of all, at least one party should be a practicing Catholic. Does your boyfriend’s schedule totally rule out assisting at Mass on Saturday evening, early Sunday morning or late Sunday afternoon? Check your diocesan website to see the Mass times in your area. Surely there is one parish that will meet your scheduling needs.
The second has to do with your current situation. Are you living together? Nowhere in your post do you mention if you intend to get married. While the parental situation may not negate the right of the child to be baptized, there needs to be a firm commitment on the part of the parents to be authentic witnesses of the Faith to their children.
Now, regarding the Godparents, if they are married, they need to be validly married in the Catholic Church, as, they, too, will have to provide an authentic witness of the Faith to the child.
It is certainly commendable that you want to baptize your child in the Catholic Church. However, there is more to the baptism than the ceremony. Please, please find a parish as soon as possible, inquire about RCIA for yourself if you do intend on becoming Catholic, register there, and then talk to the pastor. Of course you can attend Mass. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the public prayer of the Church. Of course, since you cannot receive Holy Communion, just remain in your pew and pray, but, other than that, please, please go to Mass.
However, as I stated before, you and your boyfriend also need to have a serious talk about your current situation.
I don’t want to sound judgmental, but, these are things that need to be examined. After all, the baptism of a child into the Church is a lifelong commitment that should not be taken lightly.