Baptism

  • Thread starter Thread starter Flatfeet
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flatfeet

Guest
Hi everyone,
I am on my final 3 weeks towards Baptism on Easter Vigil via RCIA.
My boyfriend was my sponsor and decided to end our r/s last week. I’m in the process seeking the Lord’s mercy to provide me with strength and wisdom.

I’ve only stopped attending the Rites of Scruitiny…
If I’ve decided to get baptise after Easter’s anytime, can it still be done?

I feel that I should get baptise once i’ve received peace in my heart.

Would appreciate your time to look at my questions.

Cheerios,
Nat
 
Hi everyone,
I am on my final 3 weeks towards Baptism on Easter Vigil via RCIA.
My boyfriend was my sponsor and decided to end our r/s last week. I’m in the process seeking the Lord’s mercy to provide me with strength and wisdom.

I’ve only stopped attending the Rites of Scruitiny…
If I’ve decided to get baptise after Easter’s anytime, can it still be done?

I feel that I should get baptise once i’ve received peace in my heart.

Would appreciate your time to look at my questions.

Cheerios,
Nat
It can be done after Easter, but you must talk to your pastor for guidance. Depending on the diocese you may have to get permission from the bishop, he is ultimately responcible.

But I have to ask you, why must you wait? There is still time to get a new sponsor and continue the journey.

If you have come to believe in the “way”, then you must continue and complete what He has started.

Either way, call your parish priest this morning and set up an appointment to meet with him today, it’s that important.

God bless, and you are in my prayers this week!
 
I am not sure why you want to wait. Don’t you think that being baptised into Jesus’s family will bring you peace? All you really need is to find a new sponsor. This shouldn’t be too hard. If you don’t have a family member or close friend to fill this role, simply call the RCIA director and I am sure she can recommend someone to you.

I am sorry that your relationship ended, but NOW is the perfect time to come to Jesus fully. Allow Jesus to heal your heart, don’t put him on a shelf until you feel like it, but answer Him…he is calling you to him
 
Thanks guys for the replies.
Really appreciate that.😊

Im not sure if it;s right to say that I should be getting my parent’s blessing prior baptism?
My parents are strong buddhists. They won’t mind me going to church except for the baptism part. They probably need some time to understand their daughter is going to be a Catholic soon.

I feel torn with a decision to make. With 3 more weeks to go, time is running out soon.
 
Thanks guys for the replies.
Really appreciate that.😊

Im not sure if it;s right to say that I should be getting my parent’s blessing prior baptism?
My parents are strong buddhists. They won’t mind me going to church except for the baptism part. They probably need some time to understand their daughter is going to be a Catholic soon.

I feel torn with a decision to make. With 3 more weeks to go, time is running out soon.
Ahhh…that gives a lot more information. I say you must trust in God. This is an opportunity to bring your whole family closer to yourself and to His Church or an opportunity to cause hurt and division. God wants you in by all means, but not through dividing your family and losing all opportunity to bring all into His Church.

Have you sat down with your parents and discussed your desire to enter the Church? I believe that’s where you must begin.
 
Hi everyone,
I am on my final 3 weeks towards Baptism on Easter Vigil via RCIA.
My boyfriend was my sponsor and decided to end our r/s last week. I’m in the process seeking the Lord’s mercy to provide me with strength and wisdom.

I’ve only stopped attending the Rites of Scruitiny…
If I’ve decided to get baptise after Easter’s anytime, can it still be done?

I feel that I should get baptise once i’ve received peace in my heart.

Would appreciate your time to look at my questions.

Cheerios,
Nat
the Rites are the rites
here if you decided to skip the scrutinies I would assume you have decided therefore to opt out of all that follows including baptism. The purpose of the scrutinies is to strengthen you to deal with precisely the doubts and feelings you report. This is like saying “I have decided to skip the pre-op physical and blood test and prescribed medication, and just go to the surgery on Monday morning”.
Baptism is not just about giving you peace, it is about faith and eternal life.

You need to meet with your RCIA director or pastor today. If you came to me deliberately without grave reason intentionally skipping the rites and presentations designed by wisdom of Holy Mother Church to prepare you fpr baptism, I would say it is out of my hands, ask the pastor if he will still admit you to baptism.

YOu will not enjoy peace of heart until you bring your heart, mind, body and soul in line with Christ’s will for you. You will not be able to do that on your own, which is why the Church invites you to the grace of his sacraments. You have been called in the Rite of Election. To turn back now is to reject that call, and the peace Christ promises you.

To do otherwise is to say “I will delay the life-giving surgery and wait until I am well to have the operation”. It makes no sense.

This is also why in this diocese the novio, bf, fiance or spouse cannot be the sponsor. Please speak to your pastor today.
 
I am surprised your parish allowed your boyfriend to be your sponsor in the first place. Spouses are often not allowed (I think it is a parish by parish thing) and boy/girlfriends are not allowed because of just this problem. The idea is you have someone you are not as familiar with (emotionally attached to) be your guide.

With all that said, these sacraments will help heal your heart. The grace (free and undeserved gift from God that allows us to be closer to Him) you will receive will be wonderful.

I am not sure if we are ever totally ready. We may think we are or are not. Get closer to God and His Church and proceed with your ‘new’ life.

Many prayers and blessings for you Nat!
 
Thank you for all the wonderful replies.
Just a quick update that im feeling much better. I’ve prayed deeply and conversing with Him for the past 1 week.
Spoke to dad about converting, he wasn’t keen but he didn;t strongly object.
To continue my faith on this journey, I’ve decided to go ahead with baptism (praise the Lord!)
No doubt it will take time for my parents to accept the fact I’m converting, I guess taking each step at a time would be the way to go.

Cheers,
Natalie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top