Based on who?

  • Thread starter Thread starter billcu1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the version I use also. I was wondering which version said “saints and prophets” instead of “apostles and prophets”. Maybe I misunderstood your previous post #17.

“Ephesians 2:19 & 20So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellowcitizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone,”

I saw you post this. You underlined some things so maybe that was your comment. I took it as a quote. I look at the DR and the KJV from time to time too. I’m not crazy about the NAB.
 
Hello Bill.
In the Epistle you mention it says “saints” and “prophets”. What is meant there? Prophets of the OT or new Church? And the saints, what saints? The church was just beginning. Who were they calling saints? I am aware yes of our present beatification process and canonization. But things where not done like that then?

Bill
Yeah, and we are all living stones. It is figurative speech. Becoming a Church member doesn’t start the process whereby you become marbilized or stoned. DUH. Hello? Do you need everything literal or can there be some figures of speech in the Book?

Glenda
 
Mary is the mother of both; that is her relationship.
As far as “mystical union” with Jesus and also the Church, I would say she experienced/experiences it with both. (Definition of “mystical” according to the following definition: merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mystical)

But, it has never been Church teaching that the Catholic Church is based/built upon Mary as its foundation. Her role/relation to the Church is that of “mother”, not “base” or “foundation”.
In understanding her role as mother, it helps to look at the role a loving mother provides in an earthly family – and then transform those earthly activities to heavenly activities.
So Jesus is the foundation through the successors of Peter then?

Bill
Bill-

Nita specifically said the opposite.
 
I would assume Paul was referring to the prophets of the Old Testament. What are your thoughts?
I would agree. Since there are so many statements in the NT that go back comparatively and say things like “Thus was being said by…” such and such and such a person. But I look at the t’noch rather than OT in Biblical traditions. To me anyway things seem to make better sense.

Bill
 
In the Epistle you mention it says “saints” and “prophets”. … And the saints, what saints? The church was just beginning. Who were they calling saints? I am aware yes of our present beatification process and canonization. But things where not done like that then?

Bill
By “saints” I think Paul is referring to all those united to Our Lord — the believers united to Him here on earth and those who are united to Him in heaven.

In his epistles, Paul uses the term “saints” most often to refer to the living fellow Christians here on earth. (Eg. Rom 8:27; 12:13; and there are many more.)

But he also uses it to refer to faithful believers who are now in heaven. For example:
1 Thess 3:13 so that he may establish your hearts unblamable in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints

And in this passage he uses it for both the living believers (vs 1) and for those in heaven (vs 2). 1 Cor 6:1 When one of you has a grievance against a brother, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints? 6:2 Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? 6:3 Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, matters pertaining to this life!

.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top