R
roseproject
Guest
Scrupulosity and OCD has been an issue with me for a while. It’s gotten better, but scrupulosity and anxiety associated with that is still kind of an issue with me.
One thing about OCD and scruples is the tendency to blow a moral issue (if it IS even an issue at all), religious “rule” or discipline, etc. out of proportion.
For an example, sometimes when I sit down to watch a show that I like, there may be one or two episodes in it that have a bit of questionable things in it (nothing exceedingly graphic, sexual, or whatnot. Maybe mildly PG-13 stuff like, idk, suggestive dialogue or a side character or two who have some less than honorable tendencies sometimes…Think, ‘Inuyasha’ and the like.). I can see it coming because I can read the episode description. I know there will probably be a little bit of rude humor or whatnot in said episode, but I don’t like skipping any episodes because I might miss some of the story. So, I wonder whether or not I should watch the episode. So, in an attempt to not let my scrupulosity control me all the time, I watch it.
The thing is, when one is scrupulous, we oftentimes heavily anticipate any sort of thing that might taint our souls, often to the extreme. So, when I feel especially scrupulous, things that may not have been an issue previously suddenly feel like the most terrible sin ever! I expect it, then when I see such “questionable scenes”, it feels as if Jesus is breathing down my back and judging me and whatnot -___- Then, I feel like I should’ve not watched the episode. Was is a moment of willingly putting myself into a situation where I might think impure thoughts and was, because of this, a sin?
Sometimes, these moments of battling my scrupulosity feel like I’m turning my back from God because of the guilt I oftentimes feel. There are even times when batting my scruples has probably made me legitimately stumble occasionally; not listening to my scruples at all and accidentally falling into a legitimate sin. It’s this balance between going too far with your scruples, and then…not worrying about purity at all. It can be a difficult battle for someone with scruples.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance
One thing about OCD and scruples is the tendency to blow a moral issue (if it IS even an issue at all), religious “rule” or discipline, etc. out of proportion.
For an example, sometimes when I sit down to watch a show that I like, there may be one or two episodes in it that have a bit of questionable things in it (nothing exceedingly graphic, sexual, or whatnot. Maybe mildly PG-13 stuff like, idk, suggestive dialogue or a side character or two who have some less than honorable tendencies sometimes…Think, ‘Inuyasha’ and the like.). I can see it coming because I can read the episode description. I know there will probably be a little bit of rude humor or whatnot in said episode, but I don’t like skipping any episodes because I might miss some of the story. So, I wonder whether or not I should watch the episode. So, in an attempt to not let my scrupulosity control me all the time, I watch it.
The thing is, when one is scrupulous, we oftentimes heavily anticipate any sort of thing that might taint our souls, often to the extreme. So, when I feel especially scrupulous, things that may not have been an issue previously suddenly feel like the most terrible sin ever! I expect it, then when I see such “questionable scenes”, it feels as if Jesus is breathing down my back and judging me and whatnot -___- Then, I feel like I should’ve not watched the episode. Was is a moment of willingly putting myself into a situation where I might think impure thoughts and was, because of this, a sin?
Sometimes, these moments of battling my scrupulosity feel like I’m turning my back from God because of the guilt I oftentimes feel. There are even times when batting my scruples has probably made me legitimately stumble occasionally; not listening to my scruples at all and accidentally falling into a legitimate sin. It’s this balance between going too far with your scruples, and then…not worrying about purity at all. It can be a difficult battle for someone with scruples.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance